Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

We also have the youngest and least experienced team list in he club's entire history.

I'm sorry but that's just funny. That's a bit like saying, Elizabeth Taylor is getting married again to a young man, however, if the young man is 50, it doesn't make him young. It's only make our list young relative to the fact we've never had a young list before.

We don't have a young list, we only have a young list because we've never gone down this path before.

The amount of propaganda coming out of NC mouth that some of you beleive is astounding. We are not a young list. Round one, we will not have a young side on the field. Period.

We also have the youngest and least experienced team list in he club's entire history. On this basis, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have someone with Callinan's experience - particularly "finals winning" experience - around the traps.

FWIW, I agree with you that he's definitely competing with the likes of Symes, Sloane, Martin & Smith for a position in the team.

Personally, I'm not fussed if he's selected in the team or not. All I want to see is our best & most in-form 22 players selected each week, regardless of age and/or reputation. If that means a 28yo player misses out, then so be it. If it means that a 19yo kid misses out, so be it.

Chant it with me Sith Lord... No Team Security. No Team Security.

I would probably have 'looking to the future' as part of the criteria of assessement. But the key for me is NO TEAM SECURITY.

Disagree.

Play to win, best team, until the time when you're not in the run for the ultimate glory.

But that is the point Wall_E - Yes, play to win and play to win at all costs but when do we say, enough is enough and open our eyes to the fact that some of our players are just not good enough.

Yes they are part of OUR best 22 player but that best 22 finished 10th last year and some of these guys are simply not good enough. They are just not good enough to be part of a premiership side, not matter how you say it ore what strings and bow you apply, some of them are just not good enough.

I'm sorry but that's just funny. That's a bit like saying, Elizabeth Taylor is getting married again to a young man, however, if the young man is 50, it doesn't make him young. It's only make our list young relative to the fact we've never had a young list before.

We don't have a young list, we only have a young list because we've never gone down this path before.

The amount of propaganda coming out of NC mouth that some of you beleive is astounding. We are not a young list. Round one, we will not have a young side on the field. Period.
Garbage.. we have the 5th youngest list in the AFL, now that all the veterans are gone. It's young full-stop, not just young relative to the list we had in 2005 & 2006 (when it was at its oldest). As for us never having had a young list before, Blight's cleanout left us with a a very young list in 1997 & 1998. I haven't checked the stats, but I'm fairly sure that our current list is younger - and it's almost certainly less experienced.

Assuming a best 22 as follows:
FB: Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB: Doughty Davis Tambling
C: Mackay Thompson van Berlo
HF: Henderson Walker Knights
FF: Porplyzia Tippett Dangerfield
R: Jacobs Vince Otten
Int: Reilly Douglas Moran Sloane (sub)

This gives an average age (as of today) of: 24.64 years. That's a hell of a lot younger than some of the teams we were fielding in recent years. It's also very inexperienced, with just 1804 games (avg 82 per player).

The large number of kids on our list means that losing one (or more) of our centurions would see that average fall very rapidly indeed. For example, replacing Steven & Doughty with McKernan & Martin (which would please you no end) would see us lose 325 games of experience, dropping the average per player to just 67 games.

So we're continuing to run with the 2010 blueprint then?
I honestly believe we have a team capable of having a fair crack at the best teams.

What sort of message does it send to the playing group that the best players for available positions aren't selected.

You talk about 'gold passes' handed to older players when they're better than the alternatives, but this doesn't exactly instill confidence of fair selection to bypass someone because their in the prime of their career.... not does it create hunger amoungst those needed to improve.

If their of very similar input at the available position, then youth, for sure.

But that is the point Wall_E - Yes, play to win and play to win at all costs but when do we say, enough is enough and open our eyes to the fact that some of our players are just not good enough.

Yes they are part of OUR best 22 player but that best 22 finished 10th last year and some of these guys are simply not good enough. They are just not good enough to be part of a premiership side, not matter how you say it ore what strings and bow you apply, some of them are just not good enough.
You're probably refering to players like a Toovey, Leigh Brown et all right? Guys who were on the cusp of selection in poorer Pies teams yet retained their spot for their ability to complete a task and a job, allowing the more talented players to improve.

Anyone watching the games Friday knows how much we suffered not having Rutten, Stevens, Doughty and Reilly in our team. It eposed the guys we're trying to develop like Sloane, L Thompson, Sellar, Martin etc. That's no way to develop, being thrown in front of oncoming traffic.

Guys like Reilly, Doughty and Stevens may be highly criticised at times, because they're old(er), have limited or no upside, aren't flashy and don't do checkside goals from 50 out after not hitting a contest hard, but they take the load on it's heaviest point. They bear the heal of the presure so our younger less experienced guys can bear the ball of the shoe.

There's no doubt we're headed toward putting our best team for when we believe we're ready for a crack, this is why we have the largest amount of 20-24 year olds in the comp. But there's no point chucking Brodie Smith in the middle in place of Reilly and tell him to go get that hard ball Reilly did....he'd get hurt.

Balance is key, not only for a winning POV, but for the development of these kids.

All due respect, but that's garbage. All premiership teams have players who you'd describe as journeymen. No team in history (at least not since the introduction of the salary cap) has had 22 champions in the team. Aaron Keating won a premiership with the Crows, for Pete's sake!

You can argue that we have too many players who are "not good enough" and you'd have a fair case. However, arguing that any individual player is not good enough is complete and utter rubbish.

I honestly believe we have a team capable of having a fair crack at the best teams.

What sort of message does it send to the playing group that the best players for available positions aren't selected.
What sort of message does it send that we are going to go with the same selection strategy that hasn't worked in previous seasons?

Teams like Geelong, Collingwood... in their past they have got to a point where they have said this isn't good enough, they've injected quality young players and have accepted that it might take a year or two but they are building for something. They have made an investment.

You talk about 'gold passes' handed to older players when they're better than the alternatives, but this doesn't exactly instill confidence of fair selection to bypass someone because their in the prime of their career.... not does it create hunger amoungst those needed to improve.
A player can come in to the Crows squad, do everything asked of him, perform well in teh SANFL and still not get a game, whilst they can see inferior players who they were better than in juniors getting AFL games at other clubs.

You're probably refering to players like a Toovey, Leigh Brown et all right? Guys who were on the cusp of selection in poorer Pies teams yet retained their spot for their ability to complete a task and a job, allowing the more talented players to improve.
Yes yes. We wlook through all the teams and you can always find a spud or two. The difference is that Steele Sidebottom isn't in the reserves while these spuds are playing AFL.

Anyone watching the games Friday knows how much we suffered not having Rutten, Stevens, Doughty and Reilly in our team. It eposed the guys we're trying to develop like Sloane, L Thompson, Sellar, Martin etc. That's no way to develop, being thrown in front of oncoming traffic.
We were better with those experienced players. And that's the key. In the short term we will be better with all our older players and keeping all our kids in the SANFL.

In 2007 when Collingwood debuted 10 players they had their eyes on a future premiership. We have our eyes firmly fixed on Round 1 2011. And once we're through with Round 1 2011 then we'll concentrate on Round 2 2011. Etc. Is there a plan in place to build a premiership side or are we just going to wait and see who is in form the week before our Round 1 match?

Guys like Reilly, Doughty and Stevens may be highly criticised at times, because they're old(er), have limited or no upside, aren't flashy and don't do checkside goals from 50 out after not hitting a contest hard, but they take the load on it's heaviest point. They bear the heal of the presure so our younger less experienced guys can bear the ball of the shoe.
They do NOT take on the heaviest load!

Doughty and Stevens in particular rarely get the best opposition players. They take the third string marking forward or the 6th most dangerous forward.

They have found a niche in our team by filling the easiest, cushiest roles that they can't help but be successful in. Roles that SHOULD be given to the kids but instead we have Phil Davis take on Matthew Pavlich while Stevo chases after Ryan Murphy.

There's no doubt we're headed toward putting our best team for when we believe we're ready for a crack, this is why we have the largest amount of 20-24 year olds in the comp. But there's no point chucking Brodie Smith in the middle in place of Reilly and tell him to go get that hard ball Reilly did....he'd get hurt.
Replace Smith with Sidebottom and Reilly with O'Bree.

All due respect, but that's garbage. All premiership teams have players who you'd describe as journeymen. No team in history (at least not since the introduction of the salary cap) has had 22 champions in the team. Aaron Keating won a premiership with the Crows, for Pete's sake!

You can argue that we have too many players who are "not good enough" and you'd have a fair case. However, arguing that any individual player is not good enough is complete and utter rubbish.

And he was shipped of to Siberia even quicker as soon as Blight realized he was useless.

Balance is key, not only for a winning POV, but for the development of these kids.

I must have fallen asleep last August and misses our amazing month of football in September. The way you're talking, we must be on the cusp of success not being a mediocre team.

Hindsight is a wonderful things and its lucky no one ever worries about forth-site. If we had a half descent development program in place, we wouldn't be in the position we are now thinking about how some players will actually develop, they would have already been developed. .

What sort of message does it send that we are going to go with the same selection strategy that hasn't worked in previous seasons?
You're saying it's our selection policy, not our play that has caused our loses in previous seasons?
Teams like Geelong, Collingwood... in their past they have got to a point where they have said this isn't good enough, they've injected quality young players and have accepted that it might take a year or two but they are building for something. They have made an investment.
With the exeption of Leon Davis (who was brought in to fill a need) the best players have played. Geelong seems like an interesting example...
A player can come in to the Crows squad, do everything asked of him, perform well in teh SANFL and still not get a game, whilst they can see inferior players who they were better than in juniors getting AFL games at other clubs.
You're saying a player who does EVERYTHING asked of them doesn't get a game because they're young?
Yes yes. We wlook through all the teams and you can always find a spud or two. The difference is that Steele Sidebottom isn't in the reserves while these spuds are playing AFL.
If you would like to recall 'our' Steele Sidebottom, please find him for me. Perharps it's Dangerfield, Otten, Sloane....no they all play....are you infering Myke Cook should be our Steele? Who's this player who's floundering in the SANFL, tearing it up whilst being kept out of the squad by an inferior (in your opinion and obviously not in our coaches, selection plannel, playing group or anyone with insights, opinion) player?
We were better with those experienced players. And that's the key. In the short term we will be better with all our older players and keeping all our kids in the SANFL.
So where's it begin and end. Let's drop everyone over 25 now. Thompson, Reilly, Stevo, Stiffy, Dogga GTFO because you'll be over 30 when we make our next run. Let's bring in Sam Martyn (who I rate) to play the inside mid role....we drop to last on the ladder, get some sweet picks and flounder at the bottom for 3-4 years while we get our guys up to speed.....now it's 2016 and guys like VB can GTFO because they're over 28?

I know that's a rediculous example, and I agree that we should prepare as best we can for when we will make our run. The problem being I believe you become prepared by winning, forcing your way into selection, earning your spot and learning off those who's position you will take.

It's a balanced thing. The answer's likely in the middle somewhere.
In 2007 when Collingwood debuted 10 players they had their eyes on a future premiership. We have our eyes firmly fixed on Round 1 2011. And once we're through with Round 1 2011 then we'll concentrate on Round 2 2011. Etc. Is there a plan in place to build a premiership side or are we just going to wait and see who is in form the week before our Round 1 match?
As above there's some middle ground where the answer likely lies, but in the last year we debuted Armstrong, Davis, Gunston, Henderson, Jaensch, Young, oersisted with development of Schmidt, Cook, Dangerfield, MacKay, Petrenko, Sellar, Sloane, Walker. Everyone who's been good enough to play AFL has gotten a chance.
They do NOT take on the heaviest load!

Doughty and Stevens in particular rarely get the best opposition players. They take the third string marking forward or the 6th most dangerous forward.

They have found a niche in our team by filling the easiest, cushiest roles that they can't help but be successful in. Roles that SHOULD be given to the kids but instead we have Phil Davis take on Matthew Pavlich while Stevo chases after Ryan Murphy.
Stevo playing that role allows chop outs for Davis. CHB has been established by many on this board as the easiest KPP role on the field. His ability to play this role allowed Davis to settle at CHB.
Replace Smith with Sidebottom and Reilly with O'Bree.
You bring Smith in for Reilly, who plays that tag role, who plays the second inside mid role? It's not a direct swap.

Sidebottom was AFL ready, Smith has shown some glipses and it will be determined if he is. If he is, and with how highly the coach has spoken of him, he'll play, yet it WON'T be at the expense of Reilly, but likely a player that plays a similar role. Probably a player you'd rather see stay in.

At this stage Smith has not been left out of selection, and comparing him to Sidebottom, a player more advanced in developement in the midfield than Dangerfield is a bit of a stretch.

Hindsight is a wonderful things and its lucky no one ever worries about forth-site. If we had a half descent development program in place, we wouldn't be in the position we are now thinking about how some players will actually develop, they would have already been developed. .
It must be horrible to have a development program that see's you have a buffet of early 20 year old KPP's at AFL standard competing for spots...

I'm a bit confused as to who these players who are demading a spot are?

I must have fallen asleep last August and misses our amazing month of football in September. The way you're talking, we must be on the cusp of success not being a mediocre team.

My point being development requires balance.

I'm good at my job because when I started, there was someone more experienced that I to assist.

Chuck all the kids in one team at the downfall of their development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chuck all the kids in one team at the downfall of their development.

Yeah :(, because that's exactly what I'm saying. We've been on this development path for 3 years now. We started this development program at the end of 2007 and we are yet to see any positive results.

Vince is the exception to the rule.

How long has (did) it take Douglas and van Berlo to become an AFL standard players. Both would not be considered A grade yet but but as both are only just AFL standard. Both are good standard player.

Maric is only just getting there and if Sam Jacob comes on like we hope he does, he will be playing for the Port Magpies. eakkk

Dangerfield, Walker and MacKay are taking way to long to grow into AFL players. They should be ready to rip a game apart now but I doubt they will as our development program is slow.

You know what, forget about it as you can say our development is fine or some other response like guy come up with but my eyes, the things I watch games with and the results that get published say things are very different to how you see them.

Yeah :(, because that's exactly what I'm saying. We've been on this development path for 3 years now. We started this development program at the end of 2007 and we are yet to see any positive results.

Umm, any positive results? We've got a bucketload of young players who look AFL ready.

Are you implying that, had we dumped them all in our AFL side together and told them to go crazy that they'd be better players now?

You're saying it's our selection policy, not our play that has caused our loses in previous seasons?
Andrew Hildtch, is that you?

Of course I think it's the major factor.

Unless you subscribe to the Rex Hunt School of Football Tipping - I'm tipping brilliantly the teams are just playing badly.

With the exeption of Leon Davis (who was brought in to fill a need) the best players have played. Geelong seems like an interesting example...
It has been well documented how Collingwood systematically rotated their squad, squeezing experienced players into the VFL - not because they aren't good players or in good form - but because they can't just leave their kids in the VFL and hope they develop. Malthouse has stated that the club would not go forward if the likes of Ben Reid stayed in the VFL. You don't dispute this do you? I will dig up the articles if I need to.

And Geelong. You are aware of the HUGE list of mid-range players they off-loaded in the first few years of the 00's while they assembled their future premiership squad? Again, I'll dig up the names if you dispute this.

You're saying a player who does EVERYTHING asked of them doesn't get a game because they're young?
Of course. If the incumbent is doing the job, there's no room. And by 'doing the job' I am talking about the AFC benchmark, which is "win enough games to make the eight and then anything can happen."

If you would like to recall 'our' Steele Sidebottom, please find him for me. Perharps it's Dangerfield, Otten, Sloane....no they all play....are you infering Myke Cook should be our Steele? Who's this player who's floundering in the SANFL, tearing it up whilst being kept out of the squad by an inferior (in your opinion and obviously not in our coaches, selection plannel, playing group or anyone with insights, opinion) player?
The list of yiung players throughout Craig's reign who have played more SANFL footy than they should have has been posted a million times.

So where's it begin and end. Let's drop everyone over 25 now. Thompson, Reilly, Stevo, Stiffy, Dogga GTFO because you'll be over 30 when we make our next run. Let's bring in Sam Martyn (who I rate) to play the inside mid role....we drop to last on the ladder, get some sweet picks and flounder at the bottom for 3-4 years while we get our guys up to speed.....now it's 2016 and guys like VB can GTFO because they're over 28?

I know that's a rediculous example, and I agree that we should prepare as best we can for when we will make our run. The problem being I believe you become prepared by winning, forcing your way into selection, earning your spot and learning off those who's position you will take.
See, you can't have it both ways. You're acknowledging here that a time "when we will make our run" exists, which is incongruous with your argument. It intimates that there is a time when we are not making our run.

But you're also saying that to produce a winning team down the track means we have to be winning matches now. That means there is never a time when we are off the pace, regenerating with kids and aiming for a pay off two years down the track. So in effect we are always keeping the pedal to the metal, trying to win every game and always picking out Best 22.

We are always having a run.

It's a balanced thing. The answer's likely in the middle somewhere.As above there's some middle ground where the answer likely lies, but in the last year we debuted Armstrong, Davis, Gunston, Henderson, Jaensch, Young, oersisted with development of Schmidt, Cook, Dangerfield, MacKay, Petrenko, Sellar, Sloane, Walker. Everyone who's been good enough to play AFL has gotten a chance.
The injuries and botched list management last year were a blessing in disguise. Development was fast-tracked. Which experienced or mid-range players played an SANFL game last season? None. That will be our test. Are we prepared to treat a depth player as a depth player?

Stevo playing that role allows chop outs for Davis. CHB has been established by many on this board as the easiest KPP role on the field. His ability to play this role allowed Davis to settle at CHB.
Don't be ridiculous. Playing on Pavlich or Riewoldt is the hardest defensive role against Fremantle or St Kilda. Whether they're playing CHF, deep forward or pushing higher up the ground doesn't matter.

At this stage Smith has not been left out of selection, and comparing him to Sidebottom, a player more advanced in developement in the midfield than Dangerfield is a bit of a stretch.
I'm comparing Smith 2011 to Sidebottom 2009. It's not a stretch at all.

Umm, any positive results? We've got a bucketload of young players who look AFL ready.

Yeah but they haven't achieved this positive result yet. Have they?

Are you implying that, had we dumped them all in our AFL side together and told them to go crazy that they'd be better players now?

no, not at all.

After R1 of the NAB, I'll take my latest stab on the R1 team.

- My final team contains Doughty and Stevens as they will certainly be selected. Realistically they are solid players but we won't be true contenders till 2012 onwards so I'd phase them out asap to get games into others. As said, they are hardly playing the most difficult specialist positions on the ground. Would we lose much replacing Doughty with Petrenko? Stevens with Sellar...hell Sellar even tried to audition for the role with that shank in defence;).

- I've assumed Mackay will not be in enough form and fitness for his role, given he was hardly setting the world alight last year. Conversely, I've backed in the talents of Vince and Knights to come back quick enough to make an impact. Slight contradiction i know but probably wise not to rely on all 3 straight away.

- Callinan sneaks in because of his role and Jaensch's form/fitness query. If we want to get someone else in the side he could make way for Sloane to the FP.

- Rucks not yet set in stone. I've gone Moran for now but he or Jacobs could easily go for the emerging McKernan if they have one bad week...loving the competition for spots here for a change.

- vB in the Will Young role.

- Would love to find spots for Martin and Petrenko (looking at you Dogga) but I'm backing in Tambling for now. Must improve quickly though.

- Otten is starting in defence only because of team balance because i think the Rutten/Stevens/Davis trio do not collectively offer enough run and counter-attack (though i reckon Davis will be great at releasing others in good positions). Ultimately, Stevens would be replaced by someone who could play 3rd tall with a bit more dash thus releasing Otten to the midfield where he will be a gun.

B: Johncock, Rutten, Davis
HB: Tambling, Otten, Doughty
C: Henderson, Dangerfield, Reilly
HF: Knights, Walker, van Berlo
F: Porplyzia, Tippett, Callinan
1R: Jacobs, Thompson, Douglas
Int: Moran, Vince, Sloane
Sub: Stevens (who would replace a tiring mid, go back and release Otten to the midfield if there were no actual injury concerns)

Emerg: Martin, McKernan, Mackay

How do people think this team would go?

Pretty green. Would it get slaughtered?

B Johncock Rutten Otten
HB Petrenko Davis van Berlo
C Vince Dangerfield Mackay
HF Douglas McKernan Knights
F Porplyzia Tippett Walker
1R Jacobs S. Thompson Sloane
INT Jaensch Smith Henderson
SUB Tambling

Not picked: Armstrong, Callinan, Cook, Craig, Doughty, Gunston, Lyons, Maric, Moran, Reilly, Sellar, Shaw, Stevens, Symes, Talia, L. Thompson, Young

Unless you subscribe to the Rex Hunt School of Football Tipping - I'm tipping brilliantly the teams are just playing badly.
Wait, I'm a tad confused, you do believe our selection pannel was more to blame then our play?
It has been well documented how Collingwood systematically rotated their squad, squeezing experienced players into the VFL - not because they aren't good players or in good form - but because they can't just leave their kids in the VFL and hope they develop. Malthouse has stated that the club would not go forward if the likes of Ben Reid stayed in the VFL. You don't dispute this do you? I will dig up the articles if I need to.

And Geelong. You are aware of the HUGE list of mid-range players they off-loaded in the first few years of the 00's while they assembled their future premiership squad? Again, I'll dig up the names if you dispute this.
Ben Reid had excellent VFL form. He deserved the call up. Which one of our bigs routinely dominated his man in the SANFL, only to not play at all?
Of course. If the incumbent is doing the job, there's no room. And by 'doing the job' I am talking about the AFC benchmark, which is "win enough games to make the eight and then anything can happen."
......yours
The list of yiung players throughout Craig's reign who have played more SANFL footy than they should have has been posted a million times.
The curse of earning a game.
See, you can't have it both ways. You're acknowledging here that a time "when we will make our run" exists, which is incongruous with your argument. It intimates that there is a time when we are not making our run.
Yes there's an ideal premiership window for your list based on ages, games played etc. Ours was there for a bit two years ago and we missed it. Realistically it may not be for a couple of years.

I will most certainly have my cake and eat it. Players don't just develop from games played. It's how they get them, where they can develop, and the learning they receive. Our younger players 'earn' a spot, play in an easier position when on ground and learn from very good experienced players. Then they learn how to dismantle that player from 'their' position.

The injuries and botched list management last year were a blessing in disguise. Development was fast-tracked. Which experienced or mid-range players played an SANFL game last season? None. That will be our test. Are we prepared to treat a depth player as a depth player?
We don't have much in the way of 'mid range' players. I'd say Symes is....the rest are best 18, developing, or youngster. We couldn't have done much more in giving games to youngsters last year regardless of injuries.
Don't be ridiculous. Playing on Pavlich or Riewoldt is the hardest defensive role against Fremantle or St Kilda. Whether they're playing CHF, deep forward or pushing higher up the ground doesn't matter.
Easier role to develop in. Yes, he's playing on the elite in that position, for a couple of weeks, but then you could chuck him in Rutten's position on the last line and really try and destroy his confidence. As CHB, you take your man, have an alloted spot in a zone in a kick out. It remains to be seen if Davis could have played Stevo's role as well as he played CHB, but playing CHB next to Stevens is undoubtably easier than playing it next to Luke Thompson at this stage in his career. Allowing Davis to gain confidence.
I'm comparing Smith 2011 to Sidebottom 2009. It's not a stretch at all.
Then let us hope Smith gets 11 games this year including finals, like Steele did. Not the auto best 22 player from the get go he's been portrayed as.

Here's my guess, based on what we know after R1 of the MMC...

My stab at our best 22 is as follows:
C: Mackay Thompson van Berlo
R: Jacobs Vince Otten
Int: Reilly Douglas Moran Sloane (sub)

In theory, Vince & Mackay should be available for R1 (according to the AFC's propaganda machine). Given that neither of them haven't participated in pre-season training this side of Christmas, I'd be keen for both of them to spend a couple of weeks in the SANFL gaining some much needed match fitness. I got sick & tired of watching unfit players bring us down in 2010 and don't want to see the same mistake repeated in 2011.

On the other hand, VB should be over his hamstring by the last round of the MMC and has most of the pre-season under his belt. I'm assuming he'll play in R1. Knights should be ready to go for R2 of the MMC, having sat out R1 with a corked quad muscle. I'm assuming he'll play in R1 as well.

There are no other best 22 players currently under an injury cloud (as far as I'm aware).

So.. out of the best 22 are Vince & Mackay. Their replacements are Brodie Martin and Ian Callinan. Emergency listed players would be Petrenko, Symes and McKernan. McKernan is only marginally in front of Sellar when it comes to selecting the tall emergency player - this one will go down to the wire, dependent entirely upon form shown in the last 3 MMC rounds.

My R1 team therefore becomes:
C: Martin Thompson van Berlo
R: Jacobs Reilly Otten
Int: Douglas Moran Sloane Callinan (sub)

B Johncock Rutten Otten
SUB Tambling

Not picked: Armstrong, Callinan, Cook, Craig, Doughty, Gunston, Lyons, Maric, Moran, Reilly, Sellar, Shaw, Stevens, Symes, Talia, L. Thompson, Young
Would finish around 10th at best, with 12th-13th more likely. Definitely wouldn't make the finals. Too inexperienced.

B Johncock Rutten Otten
SUB Tambling

I'm definitely on the 'talented youth replacing solid B-graders' bandwagon but in balancing needs i feel Reilly has more than earned his selection. Developed into a good tagger, great endurance, still gets the ball consistently, and has transformed himself into a bigger body who does a heap of the grunt work. His reasonable success in the role means we shouldn't scrap him so soon.

Yeah but they haven't achieved this positive result yet. Have they?

Haven't they? Dangerfield, Otten, Walker, Martin, Davis, Sloane, Henderson, Jaensch, all already look up to best 22 standard after only being on our list a few years. Bar a couple of matches late in 07, none of that list has been playing more than three years. Gunston, McKernan and Petrenko all appear poised to take that next step. That's a pretty heady list for a three year drafting period (I'm ignoring the 2010 draft at this stage, though Smith and Callinan both look like great selections already). Sure, they haven't gone out and had finals success yet but that's more of a reflection on our senior squad, not the up-and-comers.

I'd say developing that list of players to AFL standard is a great reflection on our club - whether the majority of the plaudits should be given to the recruiting team or the youth development team is another debate, however.

no, not at all.

How should our development have been handled, then?

Poor comparison. Tipping always has a winning option. A football team doesn't always have winning options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back