HB: Smith Davis Otten
C: Mackay Thompson Vince
HF: Knights Tippett Henderson
F: Callinan Walker Porplyzia
R: Moran VB Dangerfield
Bench: Douglas Doughty Sloane
Sub: McKernan
Emerg. : Martin, Tambling, Maric

Martin very unlucky but his time will come this season inevitably and I can see doughty being replaced by either himself or tambling very soon.

Smith ahead of martin? Not based on saturday.
If all fit this will be the team.

FB: Johncock, Rutten, Van Berlo
CHB: Martin, Davis, Otten,
C: Vince, Thompson, MacKay
CHF: Porplyzia, Henderson, Dangerfield
FF: Callinan, Tippett, Walker
1R: Maric, Sloane , Douglas
INT: B. Smith , Doughty, Knights ( Sub : S Stevens)

Scott Stevens will be the sub as he can go forward and back better than any of the others in our team . He can pinch hit in ruck and if we ever want to give Tipp a go in the ruck we can chuck Stevo up forward with Walker and Hendo to give us abit of a diffferennt mix now and then.

No room for Brent Reilly. I just like what I have seen of Brodie Smith live this preseason. Just gives us that dash we need.

Personally would rather see L Thompson instead of Davis at CHB but that wont happen.

People on this board complain about running Tippett in the ruck, and then pick a team with no back up ruckman (Moran/Sellar/Maric/McKernan) in the 21?

Go figure...

And no way McKay doesn't play if he's fit. He's our best run and carry player...

Strange hey? :confused:

Anyways, yeah a fit McKay is definitely best 22, before Saturday I felt he might need a couple of games at SANFL level to run himself into form and fitness (I also didn't think he'd be back this soon), but by the sounds he killed it when on, so I'd definitely have him in the side from round 1.

Oh and re comments on Reilly being elite, you must have a pretty liberal view of elite if you're regarding Reilly as a part of that group. Personally I'd say there's between 10 and 20 elite players in the comp at any one time. Then I'd say there's another 50-70 genuine A-graders on top of that. Reilly's a good tagger and is in our best 22, but "elite" is going a little far me thinks.

Since I'm here, I'll pop up another 22 for round 1:

B: Johncock - Rutten - Stevens
HB: Martin - Davis - Doughty
C: van Berlo - Thompson - Mackay
HF: Sloane - Walker - Knights
F: Porplyzia - Tippett - Dangerfield
1R: Maric/Jacobs - Douglas - Otten
I: McKernan, Reilly, Vince, Henderson (Sub)

E: Maric/Jacobs/Moran, Callinan, Petrenko
Not far offs: Jaensch, Smith, Sellar, Tambling, L. Thompson, Wright, Talia, Symes

Still go no idea re 1st ruck, I can't rule out any of Maric, Jacobs nor Moran, although Moran's probably slightly behind the other two. McKernan for mine has just got to be in that versatile 2nd ruck/KPP role, there may be a few frustrating moments, but I think he's worth persisting with.

I would like to see some good form from Vince over the next two weeks before I consider him a lock for round 1, I just don't want to see us entering the season with underdone players like we did last year. I'd much rather see us set a precedent by making players earn their spots with form and fitness, especially when coming back from injury, and not just rely on reputation.

Strange hey? :confused:

Oh and re comments on Reilly being elite, you must have a pretty liberal view of elite if you're regarding Reilly as a part of that group.

My comments regarding Reilly being elite were a piss-take. Tony Shaw described him as "one of the elite midfielders of the competition" two weeks ago in the round robin matches against Melbourne / Port.

Loving some of the teams being suggested here. If Craig selects a 21 that does not include all of Doughty, Reilly, Stevens and Symes, I will jump for joy, but it's a case of 'believe it when I see it'.

My Team would Be:

B: Johncock, Rutten, Talia
HB: Otten, Davis, Martin
C: Mackay, Douglas, Gunston
HF: Sloane, Walker, Henderson
F: Dangerfield, Tippett, Porplyzia
RUCK: Jacobs, Vince, S. Thompson
I/C: Knights, Maric, van Berlo, Callinan(s)

Emerg: Smith, Tambling, McKernan/Moran/Sellar, Jaensch, Symes

Reilly, Stevens, Doughty – Don’t play them and let the youngsters get the experience and use for injury cover if needed.

Whilst you may have YOUR prsonal preferences for our Round 1 starting line-up I'm sure the final team selected by our brainstrust at the AFC will be down to how we man up on the opposition, in this case Hawthorn.

Horses for courses......

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/horses+for+courses.html

Even I can pick the team for Round 2 ....LOL!!!

Jacobs to miss due to injury

Apologies Symes/Doughty/Jaensch/Tambling

B Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB Otten Davis Petrenko
C Van Berlo Douglas Sloane
HF Dangerfield Tippett Porplyzia
F Callinan Walker Henderson
R Maric Thompson Vince

I Knights MacKay Martin Reilly

Jacobs to miss due to injury

Apologies Symes/Doughty/Jaensch/Tambling

HB Otten Davis Petrenko
C Van Berlo Douglas Sloane
HF Dangerfield Tippett Porplyzia
F Callinan Walker Henderson
R Maric Thompson Vince

I Knights MacKay Martin Reilly

It's a solid effort and very close to how I see us lining up, but I'd be bringing in either Symes or Doughty (probably the latter) for Petrenko. Stevens as my substitute in that team. Probably need to find a way to bring in an extra ruckman, probably Sellar at this stage until Jacobs comes back from injury. No idea who drops out from that side though. If Knights or Vince don't come up it would be one of them, but otherwise it's extremely tough. Each of Otten, Martin, Reilly, Stevens and Callinan provide something very important to our side but they're probably the five that could be most easily replaced to give us a second ruckman. Perhaps if it is Sellar coming in it could be Stevens or Otten that go out since he could take their role as a tall backman (and in Otten's case, as an extra man at ground level when in the midfield).

It's getting extremely difficult to select a best 22. I don't envy the Crows at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FF: Douglas, Tippett, Callinan
CHF: Porplyzia, Walker, Henderson
C: Mackay, Thompson, Van Berlo
CHB: Doughty, Davis, Martin
FB: Johncock, Rutten, Otten
1R: Maric, Dangerfield, Vince
INT: Sloane, Reilly, Sellar (Jaensch)

EMG: Petrenko, Stevens, Smith

After seeing the 2nd game this season, to me the players I have selected,
are in front on form. Again INJURIES play a big part I think KNIGHTS,and
JACOBS, wont play through injuries. Hopefully VINCE,V.BERLO,are OK
F===Porplyzia,Tippett,Mckernan
H/F==Douglas,Walker,Vince
C===Mckay, Thompson,Hendo
H/B=Doughty Davis, V.Berlo
B===Johncock, Rutten,Stevens

Rucks=Maric,Dangerfield,Sloane

INT==Callinan,Martyn,,Reilly (Otten)

I though Tallia,Thompson,Wright,Gunston, Symes all improved from the 1st game
Tambling is still behind the above player`s.

I'm not very pleased with the crows list at the moment;)
After looking thru the last few pages of this thread the thing that stands out is that the emergencies/players not being selected are very strong which all bodes well for you lot with so much depth being developed.
Good times ahead for you lot in the near future :)()

Yep - agreed. So its even quality right now.

Let's hope we get to uneven HIGH quality is what I think you're saying (given we shouldn't see improvement in guys who've been playing for us for years - sorry what's that Neil.. you disagree? :) )

Right, I'm having my third (or fourth?) stab at it. Now that we've got a bit more to go on.

I'm coming around to the fact that Callinan will play. Neil seems like a fan. Some indifferent form and injury trouble probably has squeezed out Jaensch.

Doughty and Stevens are givens, as are Thompson, Rutten and Johncock.

Mackay and Vince fit are automatic selections.

Dangerfield a must. Tippett a must.

Douglas has had a quiet preseason but is the reigning B&F. A definite.

van Berlo skipper. A definite.

Tambling hasn't won Neil over yet by the sounds of it. Neither has Jacobs plus an injury means that Maric is still number one. Another untimely injury for Moran.

Symes and Reilly are interesting ones. Both in a similar boat in that they are a few years older than those competing for their spots. Reilly has the advantage of playing the defensive role, as a result he's not going to be knocked out by a Smith or Martin. Symes more at risk but I can't see him missing.

Davis has done enough this season and last season to stay ahead of L Thompson, Young and Talia who will miss out.

Henderson has his nose ahead of Gunston. Form very good and adds a different dynamic to our half forward line.

Where is Knights at? No idea.

Porplyzia? Yesplyzia. So glad he's finally got a decent preseason under his belt. A Dream Team must.

McKernan is gaining currency. Might sneak a substitute spot, at worst emergency list.

Sellar is losing ground.

Sloane one of the success stories of the preseason. In. Brodie Martin in the same boat - would be very hard to ignore him.

Thank goodness Walker kicked straight on the weekend. Hard to leave him out.

Otten looks to have made a good recovery. In.

Untimely injury for Petrenko. You don't want to be missing games now as a fringe player. I like him in defence but don't reckon he's getting a gig first up.

Not in the mix yet - Armstrong, Cook, Craig, Lyons and Shaw

So in summary:

In - Callinan, Doughty, Stevens, S Thompson, Rutten, Johncock, Mackay, Vince, Dangerfield, Tippett, Douglas, van Berlo, Maric, Symes, Reilly, Davis, Henderson, Porplyzia, Sloane, Walker, Otten, Martin (22)
??? - Knights, McKernan (2)
Out - Jaensch, Tambling, Moran, Jacobs, Smith, Young, Talia, L Thompson, Gunston, Armstrong, Cook, Craig, Sellar, Petrenko, Lyons, Shaw (16)

So that leaves:

HB van Berlo Davis Doughty
C Mackay Dangerfield Vince
HF Douglas Henderson Porplyzia
F Walker Tippett Callinan
1R Maric Thompson Sloane
INT Symes Reilly Otten
SUB Martin

Only worry is the ruck cover. Tippett would need to do at least 25% of the game you'd think if we only went in with Maric. Unless McKernan (or Jacobs or Moran) comes in as the sub that is, which would be tough on Brodie Martin who has been great. Personally I'd rather see any of Doughty, Stevens, Symes or Reilly miss and McKernan and Martin both play, but that won't happen.

I'm pretty sure we go in with two rucks, plus a utility bench. Being mobile bolds well for Moran as #2 ruck, but Ivan and Jacobs will battle for the #1 spot. Sauce is coming from behind atm, but I think he'll finish up on top.

It really is pretty hard to knock up a 22 when everyone is fit. Hopefully this bottleneck at the 15-22 spots really puts a few guys into the next gear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back