Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

No. There have been interuptions. Starting to come good though.

The question isn't can he run himself into form... he can do that no worries. Runs himself into the ground. The question is will he have an injury issue.

knights banged home 3 goals and made the tail end of the best players list...

due for a little luck injury wise... looks hungry in my opinion...
in my DT

I'll have another crack at it after now seeing the trial games.

FF Douglas Walker Porplyzia
HF Knights Tippett Henderson
C McKay Thompson VanBerlo
HB Doughty Davis Martin
FB Stevens Rutten Johncock

R Maric Vince Reilly

I McKernan Sloane Dangerfield (Jaensch)

- Of course this is subject to fitness
- Can't see us being so stupid again and think we can use Tippett as our second ruckman in round 1. Therefore we need that 2nd ruckman. McKernan couldn't of done any more this pre-season. If we don't have any injuries by 10 min into the 3rd I reckon one of the big guys will be subbed out.
- Otten & Smith the most unlucky IMO. Otten has shown glimpses but probably a few more weeks away until back to his best. If anyone doesn't come up due to injury he will be in. Smith on the other hand looks ready to go and although I reckon Craigy wants to play him more than anything, the conservative part of Neil will take over the 'want to be' flamboyant part of Neil.
- Tambling & Symes just have disposal issues! They wont play until other parts of their game gets to an elite level. Or of course we get some injuries.
- Martin if injury free gets the HB role easily!
- Reilly is our best tagger and just love watching him kick the footy. Also if he can finish the goals like he did last week he is going to hurt teams the other way big time.
- Jaensch gets in because I love this kid. Just love footabllers who can kick goals. Doesn't matter if he only get 5 kicks if he ends up kicking 3 goals. He is the new Peter Vardy. Would love to have in the starting 21 but with the need of a 2nd ruckman in the first half I can't fit him in. However I'm still worried a bit about our forward line crumbing so he needs to play at some stage during the game. He is also a proven and safe option for the conservative side of Neil rather than Otten or Smith at this stage.

ok so here is my go at finding 21.5 out of about 26 possibles:

My BEST team:

Johncock Rutten Stevens
Otten Davis VB
Mackay Thompson Vince
Henderson Tippett Knights
Porplyzia Walker Douglas

Jacobs Reilly Sloane

Int: Dangerfield Doughty McKernan SUB: B Martin

Defence looks very solid. Like Otten off half back, gives him a chance to work back to full form and provide run from the back.
Reilly the tagger, Sloane and Thompson pick themselves. Vince and Mackay on wings are very damaging.
Forward line looks great. Henderson to play as Roamer, Walker and Porps as deep forwards with Douglas as the crumber. Douglas, Vince, Sloane and Danger to all rotate between bench, wing, midfield and crumber.
Jacobs gets first ruck position. Just offers our midfield best chance to get hand on the ball.
McKernan to play on interchange. Offers flexibility of 2nd ruck as well as rest periods for Tipp and Walker. He can also rotate in to rest Henderson.
Martin as the SUB. I like this as he can hopefully come on mid way through 3rd quarter and blow teams apart with his run and carry. Could be a real impact player in this spot.

Round 1 will be different to this as some guys will still be recovering from injury. I expect though that whilst Jacobs will miss and Maric will be first ruck, Vince and Tippett will play.

Not sure what to do with Tambling. I haven't seen enough to suggest he deserves a spot over any of the guys in my team. I suspect he will be picked to play in round 1 though...

Sorry to intrude, I really think Symes will play R1. His disposal isn't that bad and he normally plays unless injured. Has had a solid enough pre season for mine too. Any others agree or am I off the mark?

I can't see Jacobs playing in R1, having not played a game since the lightning cup round 5 weeks ago. The selectors won't risk him given his complete lack of match fitness. He'll have to gain some fitness in the SANFL & wait for Maric to have a bad game before getting his opportunity in the seniors.

At this stage, the ruck combination for R1 looks like being Maric/McKernan, though there's a 20-30% chance that it could be Maric/Moran.

Sorry to intrude, I really think Symes will play R1. His disposal isn't that bad and he normally plays unless injured. Has had a solid enough pre season for mine too. Any others agree or am I off the mark?
Yes, it is. It's even worse when he's under pressure.

Symes' other problem is that we have an awful lot of young players who are all fighting for a limited number of positions. I just don't see him being ahead of too many of them on merit.

Last year we had a lot of players MIA through injury. He didn't have to compete with Otten, Knights or Martin all year. Then there's Sloane, who's shot past him like a rocket and Tambling who was recruited to play pretty much the exact same position on the field. That's a lot of competition and I don't see Symes as being better than any of them.

Then again, he seems to be one of NC's favourites, so he may benefit from gold-pass syndrome...

Yes, it is. It's even worse when he's under pressure.

Symes' other problem is that we have an awful lot of young players who are all fighting for a limited number of positions. I just don't see him being ahead of too many of them on merit.

Last year we had a lot of players MIA through injury. He didn't have to compete with Otten, Knights or Martin all year. Then there's Sloane, who's shot past him like a rocket and Tambling who was recruited to play pretty much the exact same position on the field. That's a lot of competition and I don't see Symes as being better than any of them.

Then again, he seems to be one of NC's favourites, so he may benefit from gold-pass syndrome...

Haha fair enough, must just be my view, maybe I haven't seen enough games. He gets into space well and is very fit imo, thought he would have the wing spot, which Otten/Knights aren't really fighting for. He's better then Tambling surely?

As you said though, Sloane might be getting a look in over him and Martin probably as well.

Will be interesting too see what the coaching panel decide for Round 1. I'll just exit this thread now. ;)

The Hun are running a season 2011 preview (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2011-preview/adelaide) at which you can select your own side and then compare it to the players MOST OFTEN SELECTED.

Here FYI are the list of 22 Adelaide players selected most often by the Hun's readers (in order from top to bottom):

1. PATRICK DANGERFIELD
  2. TAYLOR WALKER
  3. SCOTT THOMPSON
  4. KURT TIPPETT
  5. ANDY OTTEN
  6. NATHAN VAN BERLO
  7. BEN RUTTEN
  8. CHRIS KNIGHTS
  9. GRAHAM JOHNCOCK
  10. BERNIE VINCE
  11. JASON PORPLYZIA
  12. RICHARD DOUGLAS
  13. PHIL DAVIS
  14. SCOTT STEVENS
  15. MICHAEL DOUGHTY
  16. BRENT REILLY
  17. DAVID MACKAY
  18. RORY SLOANE
  19. IVAN MARIC
  20. SAM JACOBS
  21. RICHARD TAMBLING
  22. BRAD SYMES

According to Campo, 29 players are in consideration for selection against the Hawks. My guess:

Dangerfield
Davis
Doughty
Douglas
Gunston
Henderson
Jaensch
Johncock
Knights
Mackay
Maric
Martin
McKernan
Moran
Otten
Porplyzia
Reilly
Rutten
Sloane
Smith
Stevens
Symes
Tambling
L. Thompson
S. Thompson
Tippett
Van Berlo
Vince
Walker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Katrina Gill did a season preview for 2011 and here is the best 22 she had for Adelaide:

B: Graham Johncock, Ben Rutten, Scott Stevens
HB: Brodie Martin, Phil Davis, Michael Doughty
C: David Mackay, Scott Thompson, Nathan van Berlo
HF: Jason Porplyzia, Taylor Walker, Chris Knights
F: Ricky Henderson, Kurt Tippett, Patrick Dangerfield
FOLL: Sam Jacobs, Bernie Vince, Brent Reilly
I/C: Richard Douglas, Andy Otten, Rory Sloane
SUB: Brad Symes

Not bad if I may say so myself, can't really disagree with any of that. Has Katrina been reading this thread perhaps? ;)

Rest of the article here.

Katrina Gill did a season preview for 2011 and here is the best 22 she had for Adelaide:

Not bad if I may say so myself, can't really disagree with any of that. Has Katrina been reading this thread perhaps? ;)

She didn't include Maric :(, still think he's our no. 1 ruck until Sauce gets up and running.

Tambling should fit in there somewhere, probably at the expense of Symes. Other than that though, seems pretty much dead on.

Symes as Sub??? He has been playing up the ground a bit in the trial games. Adding more strings to his bow?

She didn't include Maric :(, still think he's our no. 1 ruck until Sauce gets up and running.

Jacobs has not had much match time. Cant see him coming in ahead of Maric for round 1. But think he will be our lead Ruck by mid season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back