Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Katrina Gill did a season preview for 2011 and here is the best 22 she had for Adelaide:

B: Graham Johncock, Ben Rutten, Scott Stevens
HB: Brodie Martin, Phil Davis, Michael Doughty
C: David Mackay, Scott Thompson, Nathan van Berlo
HF: Jason Porplyzia, Taylor Walker, Chris Knights
F: Ricky Henderson, Kurt Tippett, Patrick Dangerfield
FOLL: Sam Jacobs, Bernie Vince, Brent Reilly
I/C: Richard Douglas, Andy Otten, Rory Sloane
SUB: Brad Symes

Not bad if I may say so myself, can't really disagree with any of that. Has Katrina been reading this thread perhaps? ;)

Rest of the article here.

no SMACK or Maric, I doubt that Craigy will play Tippett as the the ruck

I also expect that at this stage Smith and Tambling may just be in front of Symes and Martin

first thing i noticed was no backup ruck...not even Smack. Tippett will not be playing backup ruck, unless one of our two ruckmen get injured during a game or there is a ball-up in the forward line and the other ruckman is no where in sight. so putting in Maric or Smack (preferably) as backup ruck on the bench, would essentially push Symes out as sub.

here is my final side for round 1

FB: Johncock, Rutten, Stevens
CHB: Doughty, Davis, VB
C: Mackay, Vince, Radar
CHF: Douglas, Tippett, Knights
FF: Porplyzia, Walker, Dangerfield
1R: Maric, Sloane, Thompson
INT: SMACK, Tambling, Jaensch (Otten)

Emerg: Moran, Symes, Smith (I would have loved to have squeezed Smith into the side)

Not considered
Callinan, Henderson and Jacobs due to injury, both Henderson and Jacobs are in my best side when fully fit

Sub
I have no doubt that the sub position will be used on a runner rather than a tall.

With this in mind Otten is my Sub choice for round 1 as this will be his first real game back and it presents an opportunity to inject him into the game in the 2nd half when the tempo has dropped a level.

Stratton's engine is very good. Not sure of how he finished in our time trial.. but I didn't see anyone blow him up in 2010.

Knights - Birchall or attacking type HBF Knights unlikely to be in ripping form having missed most of last year and only had 1-2 games of preseason this year.

Porps - Murphy done very well in the last 12-18 months on oppositions best small to medium forward. Cleaned up Stevie J twice, done good jobs on Milne, Betts

Dangerfield - Gibson should have Dangerfield covered in the air, Dangerfield will be dangerous with the ball on the ground.

Throw me some likely matchups for

Rough
Buddy
Hale
Cyril

Not exactly sure how we are going to line up down there but I'm sure at times all 3 of the tall timber will be in the forward line.

my apology for the delay in response

Truck will get Roughead, there is no disputing that Roughead has a very good record on Truck in recent years however Truck has had his best pre-season in many years and will set himself for this match up.

Davis will get Buddy, 1+1 we are in trouble however the key to stopping Franklin is not 1+1, the key is winning the midfield and putting pressure on the ball carrier, it is recognise that Buddy is a handful 1+1 for any opponent.

Johncock will get Cyril, if Cyril pushes forward I expect that Johncock will pick him up, IMO Johncock is easily the best small defender in the game however doesn't get the recognition and will certainly be up for the match up. However I do believe speed is an issue for your midfield and as a result I do expect Cyril to push up the ground and play more in the midfield.

Stevens will get Hale, I don't understand Hawthorn's Big Footy enthusiasm for Hale, IMO Hale is an absolute SPUD, his 2010 was rubbish and his form warranted delisting, Hale is nothing more than a witches hat and will present no problems for Stevens or our defence.

IMO the midfield will be the key to the contest, winning the stoppages and being able to break away with speed from the stoppages will go along way to winning the game.

With the retirement of Macca, Goody and Edwards we have lost nothing with our ability to win contested ball at stoppages, Thompson, Dangerfield and Sloane are excellent in this area and Vince, Porplyzia and Rielly arn't bad either.

However with the retirements of the above we have gained speed through the midfield, Dangerfield, Sloane, Van Berlo, McKay, Jaensch and Knights all have a bit of toe and we have maintained speed of HB with the likes of Johncock, Tambling, Doughty and Otten..... Speed across the ground is certainly and area where I believe we could get an advantage.

just realised that too

that's the challenge, how do you fit them all in

Easily the hardest selection dilemma the club has faced in quite some time.

Alright, well I'll give it another shot. I'll do my final team on Wednesday or Thursday once we know what's up with Tippett and Henderson, as both seem unlikely to take a part. As such, for now I'll make three teams.

Team 1 - Tippett and Henderson play

_B: Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB: Martin Davis Doughty
_C: Mackay Thompson Van Berlo
HF: Douglas Walker Knights
_F: Porplyzia Tippett Dangerfield
FO: Maric Sloane Vince
INT: McKernan Reilly Henderson (Otten)
EMG: Symes Moran Jaensch

Team 2 - Tippett plays, Henderson doesn't

_F: Porplyzia Tippett Dangerfield
INT: McKernan Reilly Otten (Symes)
EMG: Moran Jaensch Smith

Team 3 - Tippett and Henderson don't play

_F: Porplyzia McKernan Dangerfield
INT: Reilly Jaensch Otten (Symes)
EMG: Moran Smith Tambling

Now keep in mind that I'm not a huge fan of Symes and wouldn't have him in my best 22. That said, Craig loves him and as such I expect the club to play him against the Hawks. There are several people competing for Symes' spot - Symes, Jaensch, Smith and Tambling. All four blokes deserve a spot in the team. Symes and Jaensch seem the most likely to me.

Jaensch's good form should see him get a spot, but I can only really see it happening if both Kurt and Hendo don't play. If that happens, Jaensch basically becomes an automatic selection for forward depth. Otherwise he might just miss out, but as mentioned above, if Symes doesn't make it then Jaensch would probably be the next choice.

McKernan seems like an essential selection to me. A relief ruckman who would provide a good target up forward when resting Kurt or Tex is a terrific thing to have, and thankfully Shaun has been in solid form. I can't see him missing out.

Can't see Tambling getting a game just yet. Showed good signs against Richmond but still needs extra match fitness and a bit more confidence, both of which he will get in the SANFL. I expect the club to make him work for his spot and thus don't think he will play until Round 3 at the earliest. Same goes for Jacobs, though you can rule him out 100% for this weekend as he is still recovering from injury.

The good thing is that the team without Tippett and Henderson still looks good, though the absence of big Kurt is noticeable. I would push Walker a bit closer to goal and have McKernan playing the Tippett role in the goalsquare. I wouldn't play Shaun at CHF because that combined with rucking will likely be too much. Have him swap with Maric in the goalsquare, and even throw Stevo in the centre from time to time if need be - shows how important Kurt is to our structure.

Bockchoy67

Re Jaensch, the one thing that keeps playing out in the back of my mind is
why did Craigy only play Matty for 1 qtr in our final practice match, forget the BF talk Matty was fit to play however Craigy went with others.......

from the outside this suggest to me that going into the Richmond game Matty was outside Craigy's thinking in terms of his 22 for round 1

the big selection question out of the weekend will be

1. has Jaensch done enough to replace an Henderson if injured
2. has Martin done enough to prove his form and fitness to push out either Tambling or Otten who both could be still a little rusty
3. or does Craigy consider playing Vince more across HF in round 1 to gain more match fitness and bring in Smith to play wing / HB

There is no doubt that in my mind that Tambling, Otten, Symes, Smith, Martin and Jaensch are fighting it out for the final 2 spots + the sub position

which way Craigy and selectors will go is the million doallar question

In what I seen yesterday MORAN is a BIG CHANCE to make the side this WK
B=}Johncock,Rutten,Stevens
H/B}Doughty,Davis,Rielly
Mid}Mckay,Thompson,V.Berlo
H/F}KnightsWalker,Dangerfield
Fwd}Sloane,Tippett,Mckernan

Ruck}Maric,Vince,Douglas

Int }Moran,Porplyzia,Janaech, SUB Tambling

I originally had Hendo,Martin, in but I think they require 1 more run in the
S.A.N.F.L

Moran and Janaech to replace them I would stretch their backline

Bockchoy67

2. has Martin done enough to prove his form and fitness to push out either Tambling or Otten who both could be still a little rusty

There is no doubt that in my mind that Tambling, Otten, Symes, Smith, Martin and Jaensch are fighting it out for the final 2 spots + the sub position

which way Craigy and selectors will go is the million doallar question

The question on Martin is one of the selection dilemmas the BF posters have grappled with - more important of course for the club!! We need to remember that Martin has played very little footy himself since coming back from his knee...

He is rapidly becoming one of my favourites - he needs to be able to force his way into the team and then I think he will tear it up.

Time to have another crack at our final 22, I suppose, but the chances of getting it right are not high, when there's 28 or 29 to pick from, providing Tippett and Hendo are okay.

B: Stevens Rutten Johncock

HB: Doughty Davis Martin

C: Mackay Thompson van Berlo

HF: Knights Henderson Dangerfield

F: Porplyzia Tippett Walker

R: Maric Vince Reilly

I: Otten, Sloane, Douglas

Sub: Symes

Unlucky: Tambling (2 more in the SANFL, Jacobs (needs match fitness after injury), Jaensch (couldn't fit him in), McKernan (gets in if Hendo unfit) etc etc etc

Jacobs and Tambling to both threaten for spots in round 4 and hold them for the rest of the season once they are in.

The doubt I have on my own 22 is there is only 1 recognized ruckman in it, and it's hard to see Craig going down that path, although the selection of another one cuts down the rotations of runners in the team.

McKernan may well get the gig in front of Otten. Just don't know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee there touchy over on the Hawks Board. I jokingly suggested we win by 6-7 goals, Walker to kick 7. Rutten to bath roughy. And davis to keep Franklin Quiet forcing Buddy to the HBF to get a kick.

They deleted it.

Its on now. Lets cream them Crows.

Gee there touchy over on the Hawks Board. I jokingly suggested we win by 6-7 goals, Walker to kick 7. Rutten to bath roughy. And davis to keep Franklin Quiet forcing Buddy to the HBF to get a kick.

They deleted it.

LOL it's on!

They deleted it.

they are a pretty fragile bunch aren't they...
What else would you would expect from the soiled nappies though?

sth melb, fitzroy, hawthorn...lol...

Smack has to be right on the borderline to make the team. Just can't see them going in with one ruck and Tippett. He has been all over Tippett in the PS. Will get plenty of games this year.

Smack definitely shown a bit. I do think we've been a little seduced by his more recent form due to his strong showing in the first week of the NAB cup.

Still very raw. Tons to work with but also a ton of work to do.

WOn't suprise me in the slightest to see him miss if Tips gets up.

Personally I think he's essential.

Maric can't ruck all day, and the last thing we want to do is have Tippett doing relief.

McKernan is both a reflief option as well as a target up forward for when Kurt or Tex come off the field to rest. You can't have two genuine rucks anymore. Guys like Shaun don't go on trees. They are a genuine asset with the new sub rules.

He'll play.

I'll go with a best 22 team, I really can't be arsed doing the Rd1 team because I think injuries and unknowns are wasting it for me, tbh I don't think Tip will play Rd1.

AFC speed team

B: Stevens Rutten Johncock

HB: Doughty Davis Martin

C: Mackay Thompson Henderson

HF: Knights Dangerfield van Berlo

F: Porplyzia Tippett Walker

R: Jacobs Vince Sloane

I: Reilly, Sloane, Douglas

Sub: Otten

No maric, tambling, Mckernan, Jaench, Smith...

God we have some decent depth, because the above players I rate pretty highly bar Maric. Jaench is way too good to be playing in SANFL. I think Porpz needs to perform to maintain his spot.

From what I've seen so far against Richmond, Knights will kill it this year, no doubt in my mind about that.
I used maccas template, fk ended up having the same team practically. lol.

Personally I think he's essential.

Maric can't ruck all day, and the last thing we want to do is have Tippett doing relief.

McKernan is both a reflief option as well as a target up forward for when Kurt or Tex come off the field to rest. You can't have two genuine rucks anymore. Guys like Shaun don't go on trees. They are a genuine asset with the new sub rules.

He'll play.
Moran or McKernan will play as 2nd ruck. I have no idea which - Moran is a better ruckman, McKernan offers more flexibility.

the closer it gets... tipp looks like a precautionary non-starter...

in this case i reckon smack in ... moran to sub...
big Ivan leading the ruck... subbed out 3/4time ish

jaensch - in for hendo...

martin/symes/tambling still fighting for the other possie

Tippett won't play:

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/109614/default.aspx

Update: Adelaide forward Kurt Tippett has been ruled out of Saturday night's season opener against Hawthorn.

Tippett had a light work-out to test his ankle on Sunday but Club medical staff this morning decided not to risk him this week.

He is back in a "moon boot" and is now aiming to be avaiulable for Adelaide's second game, the round three home match against Fremantle on April 9.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/109614/default.aspx

Surely McKernan would be a shoe in now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back