Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin or Mackay almost a cert to start off a HBF I think. Need that rebounding run and both were played through their on weekend and both played very very well.

Doughty/Van Berlo off the HBF's is not line-breaking brillance despite their other qualities.

I'm pretty sure we go in with two rucks, plus a utility bench. Being mobile bolds well for Moran as #2 ruck, but Ivan and Jacobs will battle for the #1 spot. Sauce is coming from behind atm, but I think he'll finish up on top.

It really is pretty hard to knock up a 22 when everyone is fit. Hopefully this bottleneck at the 15-22 spots really puts a few guys into the next gear.
Who would you squeeze out of my 22 to fit Moran in?

Thoughts on guys like Brodie Smith and Ian Callinan to get games? It would be immature to think we would pick up a 28 year old and not play him. Also does anyone think Brodie Smith will be selected form round 1? Looked great on the weekend and in other NAB games, high first draft pick. Pushing for selection?

So that leaves:

B Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB van Berlo Davis Doughty
C Mackay Dangerfield Vince
HF Douglas Henderson Porplyzia
F Walker Tippett Callinan
1R Maric Thompson Sloane
INT Symes Reilly Otten
SUB Martin

Only worry is the ruck cover. Tippett would need to do at least 25% of the game you'd think if we only went in with Maric. Unless McKernan (or Jacobs or Moran) comes in as the sub that is, which would be tough on Brodie Martin who has been great. Personally I'd rather see any of Doughty, Stevens, Symes or Reilly miss and McKernan and Martin both play, but that won't happen.

As likely a team as any at this stage, although the next 2 weeks of games could alter it a little.

Quite rightly you've left Knights out at this stage. Great player, but until he does something that says "you must pick me" he's not there. Same situation with Tambling

You've also correctly identified the one area of concern - the ruck, caused by this imbecilic substitute rule. We definitely played better last year when Tippett's role was changed to full time forward line.

I'm not sure that'll it be Maric in round 1. It could be Jacobs, who would be my pick but may be seen as not having earned it yet. The second ruck situation is a catch 22 though, because if it's not somebody already on the field it puts us down a mid-fielder in the rotations.

Also Martin may force the selectors to pick him if he continues his good form, which would probably force out Callinan.

Other than these Carl, which may or may not result in a change or 2, I think you've nailed it.

I'd hate to be a marginal player with the Crows this year, and there's many of them.

We supporters will be praying for an injury free year, and they'll be hoping like hell their rivals in the team get an injury!! :D

Carl Spackler;202 [B said:
In[/B] - Callinan, Doughty, Stevens, S Thompson, Rutten, Johncock, Mackay, Vince, Dangerfield, Tippett, Douglas, van Berlo, Maric, Symes, Reilly, Davis, Henderson, Porplyzia, Sloane, Walker, Otten, Martin (22)
??? - Knights, McKernan (2)
Out - Jaensch, Tambling, Moran, Jacobs, Smith, Young, Talia, L Thompson, Gunston, Armstrong, Cook, Craig, Sellar, Petrenko, Lyons, Shaw (16)

So that leaves:

1R Maric Thompson Sloane
INT Symes Reilly Otten
SUB Martin

Only worry is the ruck cover. Tippett would need to do at least 25% of the game you'd think if we only went in with Maric. Unless McKernan (or Jacobs or Moran) comes in as the sub that is, which would be tough on Brodie Martin who has been great. Personally I'd rather see any of Doughty, Stevens, Symes or Reilly miss and McKernan and Martin both play, but that won't happen.

Like your thoughts Carl and agree with most except the 2nd ruck. I've banged on about it and think we need either Moran or Smack in the line up. Really don't wan to see Tippett in the ruck at all.

If we are playing Otten then I think Stevens should be the one to miss, especially if he has got concussion problems again. Otten could play the third tall. I think our HBF are too slow and would have D-Mac or Martin back and push VB to the wing. I know its semantics and some very worthy players are going to be missing out if this injury free PS continues (touch wood).

That said the Hawks have got Hale now as well as Buddy and Roughhead, who takes buddy? Davis? Otten? Or does Stevo get the gig for matchup reasons? Do we bring in Sellar instead to give us that flexibilty in defense to stand a taller oppo?

Maybe Symes as the sub because I think Martin brings more to the table at the moment.

I am a optimist and would like to think that lessons have been learned from last season and any player that is even the slightest under an injury cloud is rested and the gold tickets have all been shredded. Just cos your name is Symes, Stevens or Doughty shouldn't give you a possie lock.

Who would you squeeze out of my 22 to fit Moran in?
That's where it gets difficult.

It will be a tinkering process in the first few rounds for teams to find their balance with the sub rule and how to use it.

May differ week to week depending on match ups....

But there's so many players bottle necking at fringe selection, it makes it hard to make the 'best' team.

It's a shame about the setbacks with jacobs and Moran.
If they were fit I don't think Ivan would make round 1.

For me They are all good tap ruckman with Jacobs slightly ahead (from what I hear).
Moran is probably the better of the three around the ground but Ivan has one advantage, availability (hardly ever gets injured) so the other 2 may need to improve their injury record to compete with Ivan at this stage.

So that leaves:

1R Maric Thompson Sloane
INT Symes Reilly Otten
SUB Martin

Only worry is the ruck cover.

I agree with your thinking. The only change I can imagine, on a purely horse for courses basis, is bringing in Sellar for Stevens:

* The Hawks have Buddy, Roughie & Hale up forward to match up on, so an extra big body down back would help
* We could use an backup ruckman
* I'd like to give Stevens time to be cherry-ripe after a concussion

Now I expect to be howled down for excluding Stevens ;) I really like him as a player but realistically he's the obvious one to make way.

Latest stab:

With Stevens lingering concussion causing real doubts, I've left him out.

Knights interrupted PS, would like to see some solid games before risking him.

Petrenko and Jacobs likely minimal prep, again some SANFL games.

A couple difficult calls re the 2R...would love to fit McKernan in the team but i am concerned we don't have a 3rd tall for defensive coverage. Usually I'd risk just having Davis and Rutten, with Otten to assist as required but the Hawks talls demand respect and additional defensive options if required. Thus Sellar gets the nod. If balance could fit another tall in, I'd love McKernan and maybe he'd get a shot for the second match.

Final 22 position to be fought out between Tambling, Smith, and the loser of the Callinan/Jaensch FP spot duel. Based on form, I've gone the versatile Smith, with Callinan in the 18.

B: Johncock, Rutten, Doughty
HB: Martin, Davis, Mackay
C: Henderson, Dangerfield, Otten
HF: Sloane, Walker, van Berlo
F: Porplyzia, Tippett, Callinan
1R: Moran, Thompson, Douglas
I: Sellar, Vince, Reilly
S: Smith

E: McKernan, Tambling, Jaensch

Every time I try to play my round 1 team I just end up going around in circles, so I figured I'd try to do something a bit more analytical. I'm going to create my 22 positions, rank those positions in order of importance, then rank players in order of ability to play those positions, and go for a first come first serve approach. I'll leave out this years recruits, other than Smith, and I'll also leave out Riley who appears no chance of being upgraded. I also left out Shaw because I have no idea where or how Shaw plays :eek: He's injured anyway. We'll see how it ends up. I'm assuming no injuries (other than Shaw) in this, of course.

Team structure:

B: Backman 1, Full back, Backman 2
HB: Backman 3, Centre half back, Backman 4
C: Wing 1, Centre, Wing 2
HF: Forward 1, Centre half forward, Forward 2
F: Forward 3, Full forward, Forward 4
R: Ruckman 1, Centre 2, Centre 3
Int: Ruckman 2, Small int, Tall int, Athletic/versatile sub

I will fill these positions in the following order:

Full forward, Full back, Centre half forward, Centre half back, Ruckman 1, Centre 1, Forward 1, Backman 1, Centre 2, Forward 2, Backman 2, Centre 3, Forward 3, Backman 3, Wing 1, Forward 4, Backman 4, Wing 2, Ruckman 2, Small int, Tall int, Athletic/versatile sub.

In each position, I list the players that I believe can play that role in order of their ability as I perceive it. Feel free to disagree with my rankings and switch them around and see what happens!

Full forward: Tippett, Walker, McKernan, Dangerfield, Rutten, Moran, Sellar
Full back: Rutten, Davis, Young, Craig
Centre half forward: Walker, Knights, Henderson, McKernan
Centre half back: Davis, Stevens, Otten, L. Thompson, Talia, Sellar, Young
Ruckman: Maric, Tippett, Jacobs, Moran, McKernan, Sellar, Craig
Centre: S. Thompson, Vince, Dangerfield, Porplyzia, Douglas, Van Berlo, Knights, Reilly, Doughty, Sloane, Otten, Wright, Callinan, Smith, Cook
Forward: Walker, Tippett, Porplyzia, Knights, Henderson, Callinan, Dangerfield, Jaensch, McKernan, Johncock, Stevens, S. Thompson, Vince, Douglas, Davis, Sellar, Van Berlo, Gunston, Petrenko
Backman: Johncock, Mackay, Davis, Martin, Stevens, Van Berlo, Otten, Doughty, Symes, Porplyzia, Dangerfield, Sellar, Reilly, L. Thompson, Jaensch, Tambling, Petrenko, Smith, Talia, Young, Schmidt, Moran, Armstrong, Gunston
Wing: Mackay, Martin, Knights, Henderson, Vince, Douglas, Dangerfield, Van Berlo, Otten, Sloane, Tambling, Callinan, Smith, Cook, Gunston, Schmidt
Small int: S. Thompson, Johncock, Douglas, Mackay, Vince, Porplyzia, Knights, Van Berlo, Dangerfield, Martin, Sloane, Reilly, Doughty, Callinan, Jaensch, Symes, Tambling, Smith, Wright, Petrenko, Cook, Armstrong
Tall int: Tippett, Walker, Rutten, Davis, Otten, Henderson, Maric, Stevens, Jacobs, McKernan, Young, Moran, Sellar, L. Thompson, Gunston, Schmidt, Talia, Craig
Athletic/versatile sub: Van Berlo, Dangerfield, Otten, Henderson, Stevens, Reilly, Moran, McKernan, Sellar, L. Thompson, Young, Gunston, Talia

So, filling the side, I get:

B: Johncock, Rutten, Mackay
HB: Martin, Davis, Stevens
C: Douglas, S. Thompson, Van Berlo
HF: Porplyzia, Walker, Knights
F: Henderson, Tippett, Callinan
R: Maric, Vince, Dangerfield
Int: Jacobs, Sloane, Otten, Reilly (sub)

Solid enough effort I guess. Doughty didn't make the cut, neither did Symes. Reilly only as a sub. Perhaps as a function of me rating them a bit low. Still it kind of worked :eek:

Every time I try to play my round 1 team I just end up going around in circles, so I figured I'd try to do something a bit more analytical. I'm going to create my 22 positions, rank those positions in order of importance, then rank players in order of ability to play those positions, and go for a first come first serve approach. I'll leave out this years recruits, other than Smith, and I'll also leave out Riley who appears no chance of being upgraded. I also left out Shaw because I have no idea where or how Shaw plays :eek: He's injured anyway. We'll see how it ends up. I'm assuming no injuries (other than Shaw) in this, of course.

Team structure:

B: Backman 1, Full back, Backman 2
HB: Backman 3, Centre half back, Backman 4
C: Wing 1, Centre, Wing 2
HF: Forward 1, Centre half forward, Forward 2
F: Forward 3, Full forward, Forward 4
R: Ruckman 1, Centre 2, Centre 3
Int: Ruckman 2, Small int, Tall int, Athletic/versatile sub

I will fill these positions in the following order:

Full forward, Full back, Centre half forward, Centre half back, Ruckman 1, Centre 1, Forward 1, Backman 1, Centre 2, Forward 2, Backman 2, Centre 3, Forward 3, Backman 3, Wing 1, Forward 4, Backman 4, Wing 2, Ruckman 2, Small int, Tall int, Athletic/versatile sub.

In each position, I list the players that I believe can play that role in order of their ability as I perceive it. Feel free to disagree with my rankings and switch them around and see what happens!

Full forward: Tippett, Walker, McKernan, Dangerfield, Rutten, Moran, Sellar
Full back: Rutten, Davis, Young, Craig
Centre half forward: Walker, Knights, Henderson, McKernan
Centre half back: Davis, Stevens, Otten, L. Thompson, Talia, Sellar, Young
Ruckman: Maric, Tippett, Jacobs, Moran, McKernan, Sellar, Craig
Centre: S. Thompson, Vince, Dangerfield, Porplyzia, Douglas, Van Berlo, Knights, Reilly, Doughty, Sloane, Otten, Wright, Callinan, Smith, Cook
Forward: Walker, Tippett, Porplyzia, Knights, Henderson, Callinan, Dangerfield, Jaensch, McKernan, Johncock, Stevens, S. Thompson, Vince, Douglas, Davis, Sellar, Van Berlo, Gunston, Petrenko
Backman: Johncock, Mackay, Davis, Martin, Stevens, Van Berlo, Otten, Doughty, Symes, Porplyzia, Dangerfield, Sellar, Reilly, L. Thompson, Jaensch, Tambling, Petrenko, Smith, Talia, Young, Schmidt, Moran, Armstrong, Gunston
Wing: Mackay, Martin, Knights, Henderson, Vince, Douglas, Dangerfield, Van Berlo, Otten, Sloane, Tambling, Callinan, Smith, Cook, Gunston, Schmidt
Small int: S. Thompson, Johncock, Douglas, Mackay, Vince, Porplyzia, Knights, Van Berlo, Dangerfield, Martin, Sloane, Reilly, Doughty, Callinan, Jaensch, Symes, Tambling, Smith, Wright, Petrenko, Cook, Armstrong
Tall int: Tippett, Walker, Rutten, Davis, Otten, Henderson, Maric, Stevens, Jacobs, McKernan, Young, Moran, Sellar, L. Thompson, Gunston, Schmidt, Talia, Craig
Athletic/versatile sub: Van Berlo, Dangerfield, Otten, Henderson, Stevens, Reilly, Moran, McKernan, Sellar, L. Thompson, Young, Gunston, Talia

So, filling the side, I get:

Int: Jacobs, Sloane, Otten, Reilly (sub)

Solid enough effort I guess. Doughty didn't make the cut, neither did Symes. Reilly only as a sub. Perhaps as a function of me rating them a bit low. Still it kind of worked :eek:

I feel that Doughty Stevens Symes and Moran may all be delisted at the end of the year. So i agree in leaving most out, Stevens still isnt a certain with injury.

I would like to know what you guys think about the rookie upgrade. They have one spot avaliable and all sources point towards Callinan. Although he hasnt really set the world alight, been good but not great. A former team mate of mine, Matthew Wright has looked very good in the couple of games and is 7 years younger. He might be a smokey to take that place. Callinan still the front runner at this stage though. You dont draft a 28 year old if he isnt gonna play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked your method Stabby so I thought I'd try it out for myself!

I listed (in rank order) the roles that IMO the side should include (with actual position in brackets for clarity) and alongside each showed the Crows players that were suited for that position (again in rank order). So 'Key marking forward' is the most important role and Tippett is our best player in that role. Rinse and repeat.

Here's what I came up with:

1. Key marking forward (FF) – Tippett, Walker, McKernan, Davis, Dangerfield
2. Strong inside mid-fielder (Centre) – S. Thompson, Dangerfield, Sloane
3. Strong tap ruckman (1st Ruck) – Jacobs, Maric, Moran, McKernan, Tippett
4. Tall rebounding key defender (CHB) – Davis, Stevens, Otten, L. Thompson, Sellar, Talia,
5. Polished outside mid-fielder (Rover) – Vince, Douglas, Mackay
6. Key leading forward (CHF) – Walker, Henderson, McKernan, Porplyzia,
7. Tight checking key defender (FB) – Rutten, Davis, Sellar, Talia
8. Defensive quarterback (HBF) – Otten, Martin, Dangerfield, van Berlo, Tambling, Smith
9. Crumbing/pressure fwd (FP) – Callinan, Jaensch, Sloane, Petrenko
10. Hard-running winger (Wing) – Mackay, Martin, Smith, Tambling
11. Mid-sized marking forward (FP) – Porplyzia, Dangerfield, Henderson, Knights
12. Rangy link-man winger (Wing) – Otten, Henderson, Smith, Knights
13. High half forward (HFF) – Henderson, Porplyzia, Knights
14. Rebounding small defender (BP) – Johncock, Petrenko,
15. Negating medium defender (HBF) – Doughty, van Berlo, Reilly, Symes
16. 3rd Tall defender (BP) – Otten, Stevens, Sellar, Young, L. Thompson, Talia
17. Defensive half forward (HFF) – van Berlo, Jaensch, Young, Reilly, Symes, Cook
18. Mid-field run-with player (Follower) – Reilly, Doughty, van Berlo, Sloane
19. Versatile tall utility/2nd ruckman (Int1) – McKernan, Sellar, Moran
20. Hard-running mid-field (Int2) - Vince, Douglas, Mackay, Sloane, Smith, Jaensch, Symes
21. Strong-bodied inside mid-fielder (Int 3) - S. Thompson, Dangerfield, Sloane, Reilly
22. Utility mid-fielder (Sub) - S. Thompson, Vince, Dangerfield, Douglas, Mackay, Sloane, Smith, Reilly, Jaensch

F: Callinan -- Tippett -- Porplyzia
HF: Knights -- Walker -- Van Berlo
C: Mackay -- S. Thompson -- Henderson
HB: Doughty -- Davis -- Otten
B: Stevens -- Rutten -- Johncock
1R: Jacobs -- Reilly -- Vince
Int: McKernan -- Douglas -- Dangerfield
Sub: Sloane

Great posts Stabby and Syd! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Liked the way you both came about your teams. For the sake of not messing with my head I rearranged them so they both went from backs to forwards :).

They're as good as any teams I've seen this past couple of weeks now that the games have started.

Syd
B: Stevens -- Rutten -- Johncock
HB: Doughty -- Davis -- Otten
C: Mackay -- S. Thompson -- Henderson
HF: Knights -- Walker -- Van Berlo
F: Callinan -- Tippett -- Porplyzia
1R: Jacobs -- Reilly -- Vince
Int: McKernan -- Douglas -- Dangerfield
Sub: Sloane

Stabby
Int: Jacobs, Sloane, Otten,
Reilly (sub)

Differences
Martin, Doughty HBF
McKernan Maric 2nd Ruck option
Sloane as sub, Reilly as sub

When you highlight it pretty much looks like most teams over the past month or so. Maric has got to be first chance at this stage solely for the fact that he is fit and firing. Interesting that Stabby took both Maric and Jacobs when most posters can see only room for one. I like Smack as second ruck/extra tall and maybe with Tippett doing 10% ruck (don't like it, but can live with 10%)

Like Martin instead of Doughty, but see Reilly playing as the tagger and if Sloane continues to burn it up he has to be in the side....Callinan may be the one to miss out if both need to be in.

Some spanners in the works...
Knights is no cert for Round 1 yet either, neither is Stevens-he is one hard hit to the head from being out for 6 weeks. Vince needs to show something in the next few games to get his spot.

Who is the sub then?

I nominate Gunston as he can play either end and is tall and quick.

Its so damn hard its doing my head in!!!:p

Team Revision 5#

B: Johncock, Rutten, Stevens
HB: Martin, Davis, Mackay
C: Douglas, S. Thompson, Henderson
HF: Knights, Walker, Van Berlo
F: Porplyzia, Tippett, Sloane
Int: McKernan, Reilly, Otten
Gunston (sub)

Maybe someone with plenty of time on their hands could nominate the top 10 teams and see who is the closest to the round 1 team...

When you highlight it pretty much looks like most teams over the past month or so. Maric has got to be first chance at this stage solely for the fact that he is fit and firing. Interesting that Stabby took both Maric and Jacobs when most posters can see only room for one. I like Smack as second ruck/extra tall and maybe with Tippett doing 10% ruck (don't like it, but can live with 10%)

I guess me taking Maric and Jacobs was a function of me nominating two ruckmen in my "structural" team :eek: Thing is, I want to put more players in that team, and I can see why people would kick Jacobs out - there's nobody else that deserves to be left out, whereas Tippett technically could cover as our second ruck.

I just really hate Tippett being our second ruck. It's failed so badly the last few times that I really hope we never see it again. Unfortunately, I think a deserving player needs to miss out in order to get our structure right, and Jacobs/Sellar/Moran/McKernan stand to gain from the situation :thumbsu:

Let's assume the worst - Knights and Vince don't come up, and neither does Moran. This adds Jaensch to the side, moves Reilly from the sub position into the main side, and puts McKernan in as our sub.

HF: Porplyzia, Walker, Jaensch
R: Maric, Reilly, Dangerfield
Int: Jacobs, Sloane, Otten, McKernan (sub)

Still, not a bad side, though you would reckon that Doughty would get the nod ahead of McKernan as the sub.

_B: Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB: Martin Davis Doughty
_C: Mackay Thompson Van Berlo
HF: Knights Walker Douglas
_F: Porplyzia Tippett Dangerfield
IR: Maric Vince Reilly
IN: Otten Symes Sloane
SUB: Henderson

I really can't find a spot for the second ruckman. I couldn't even find a spot for Callinan, which annoys me because I think he's almost certain to play. But I honestly can't find anyone there who should come out.

This is a terrific problem to have of course, but I'm hopeful that blokes like Vince and Knights are fit and ready to go by Round 1. We saw last year the dangers of having unfit players.

The team above is also not my preferred team, but rather based on what I think will happen. I definitely think Stevens will play, leaving Reilly out would be a joke anyway, and Symes is more likely than not being one of Craig's lovechilds. Jacobs is an interesting one, I think he'll have Maric's spot soon but for now Craig will probably want him to get some SANFL time, not only to gain his position but also to ease back from the hamstring strain.

I'll do a more thorough review ala Carl in the week before we play Hawthorn.

_B: Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB: Martin Davis Doughty
_C: Mackay Thompson Van Berlo
HF: Knights Walker Douglas
_F: Porplyzia Tippett Dangerfield
IR: Maric Vince Reilly
IN: Otten Symes Sloane
SUB: Henderson

I really can't find a spot for the second ruckman. I couldn't even find a spot for Callinan, which annoys me because I think he's almost certain to play. But I honestly can't find anyone there who should come out.

This is a terrific problem to have of course, but I'm hopeful that blokes like Vince and Knights are fit and ready to go by Round 1. We saw last year the dangers of having unfit players.

The team above is also not my preferred team, but rather based on what I think will happen. I definitely think Stevens will play, leaving Reilly out would be a joke anyway, and Symes is more likely than not being one of Craig's lovechilds. Jacobs is an interesting one, I think he'll have Maric's spot soon but for now Craig will probably want him to get some SANFL time, not only to gain his position but also to ease back from the hamstring strain.

I'll do a more thorough review ala Carl in the week before we play Hawthorn.

You can't have Symes and Reilly in the same team anymore for mine. Is either one or the other. Callinan comes in for either one.

Tambling isn't in our best 22. He is by no means assured of a place in the team for R1. Neither is Callinan for that matter. Symes & Reilly would both be well ahead of Tambling at this point in time (though that is subject to change if & when Tambling shows some improvement). Right now, they're probably both ahead of Callinan as well. Reilly's selection is almost a certainty, given that he is our #1 tagger. The case for Symes is less convincing.

Tambling isn't in our best 22. He is by no means assured of a place in the team for R1. Neither is Callinan for that matter. Symes & Reilly would both be well ahead of Tambling at this point in time (though that is subject to change if & when Tambling shows some improvement). Right now, they're probably both ahead of Callinan as well. Reilly's selection is almost a certainty, given that he is our #1 tagger. The case for Symes is less convincing.

Gee you sounded eerily like Phil Harper there.

If Reilly's form were to drop, then he would be out of the team quick smart. Reinventing himself as a tagger was his only way of staying in the team - so far it's worked well for him, but there's nowhere else to go if it fails in the longer term.

I'm no fan of Symes. I think he has the same ultimate flaw as Cook - his disposal is bloody awful, particularly under pressure. As far as I'm concerned, he's a turnover looking for somewhere to happen. That said, he seems to be a favourite of the coaching staff because of all the other things he does, some of them very well.

Right now, Tambling is well out of the contest. Maybe that's because of how limited his pre-season was, maybe it's because he's still adjusting to our game plans and training methods. I don't know. All I know is that he needs to show a lot more before he can be regarded as an automatic selection in the senior team.

Callinan is in with a fighting chance, but I still think that there are at least 22 players ahead of him in the pecking order. It's not as if he's excelled in the MMC, the way some of the other youngsters have (eg Sloane). Callinan needs to prove that he's capable of being an AFL player, not just a very good SANFL player. The list of good SANFL players who failed to make the leap is a long and distinguished one. Time will tell which way his career goes - I certainly haven't made up my mind about him yet and I doubt the AFC management have made up theirs either.

For the record, I completely disagree with this line of thinking, even though it's what the club is probably thinking.

These are the exact same mistakes we've made with selection in the past and refusing to pick kids because they weren't "dominating" in the SANFL. Failing to take a punt, playing it safe and selecting on the tick-a-box criteria.

There comes a point at the selection table when you have to look beyond pre-season form and use football judgement. If you continually pick on nothing but the tick-a-box form guide, there'll be some guys who never make the team. We know exactly what Tambling and Callinan are capable of and exactly what they can inject into our team. That's the reason we recruited them. Pick them. Don't make them languish in the SANFL "proving" that they're good enough to take Brad bl**dy Symes' position.

Callinan has been proving himself in the SANFL for how many years. If the team that finished 11th isn't going to pick him now, then when? I'd rather know sooner than later if he's got what it takes.

Where Tambling differs from Reilly and Symes is upside. He provides speed they do not. I think he is pretty confused with the overall system at the moment and that is KEY for backline players to have a grasp of.

Once he gets it, and gets comfortable and relaxed, he's in my best 22.

Reilly is rather safe atm for me. His contested ball work and ability to shut down is very good. Now while Danger and Sloane can replace that contested ball wirk in patches (they need to prove they can play full games in the middle), they haven't shown a tagging ability.

Symes is a frustrating one. Does a lot of what we need and a lot of what we really don't don't don't need.

I think Calinan is in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back