News Teams: 1st Elimination Final - Carlton v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

BH, his ongoing omission is due to an attitude and demeanour problem that surfaces when things aren't going Carlton's way, IMO, and these issues continually surface during the VFL.​

Yes it may have harmed the backline BUT if I was to say that his continuing omission from the side is more taxing on our backline than say, Bower's continuing injuries, that would be, simply, moronic. Perhaps Bower's injuries suggest they need a replacement, but obviously the MC (of all people) see fit that a diminished capacity Bower is better than the current capacity of Thornton.​

Not to mention the plethora of other factors, such as Austin, who, since (re)injuring a calf about midway through the season versus Collingwood VFL, has played through these various injuries in an attempt to maintain some fitness. White's double-hip surgery. Jamison's suspect shoulder, that reared its head in R1 and again in R4 - that has lead to his propensity to spoil with his wrong hand (he is still one of the better 'spoilers', especially for his age).​

Tyranny of distance means that I see no Bullants games and have to rely on sketchy newspaper reports so I defer to you re his current demeanour and concede the impact of injuries on other players.

BTW that demeanour problem has been evident for most of his career and has not cost him his place or diminished his ability.

I'm merely saying that in IMO his coolness and experience are needed at the moment. I don't care if he throws the toys out of the pram occasionally if we win the match, and I think his inclusion would help us win the match.

I also don't care where he is next year as it's all about sunday as far as I'm concerned. I also know that what I think is immaterial as the m/c picks who they think are the best 22.

Unfortunately, despite the rubbishing I'll get for this, I also can't shake the feeling that we'd have won last week with Thornton

Tyranny of distance means that I see no Bullants games and have to rely on sketchy newspaper reports so I defer to you re his current demeanour and concede the impact of injuries on other players.
I had sorta gleaned that, and that's why I tried to give you a rundown of what I've taken from the VFL matches I've seen this year - the response to EB was seperate to the response directed at you.
BTW that demeanour problem has been evident for most of his career and has not cost him his place or diminished his ability.
That it has - I guess with the form of some of our backline players, the club no longer has to tolerate it. And especially with a younger list now than ever in recent history, we need our leaders to set an example - he does not. NB - Giving Kade a spray is as good as signing your own death certificate.
I'm merely saying that in IMO his coolness and experience are needed at the moment. I don't care if he throws the toys out of the pram occasionally if we win the match, and I think his inclusion would help us win the match.
I 100% agree - I think he handles the spotlight comparatively well, and with a young group, this ability not to be overawed really stands out - however, I'd rather a player in Bower, that I expect we will try and keep for the best part of this decade, to gain one more year of finals experience - even if it is simply the one game.
I also don't care where he is next year as it's all about sunday as far as I'm concerned.
I guess I just have the complete opposite view.

Unfortunately, despite the rubbishing I'll get for this, I also can't shake the feeling that we'd have won last week with Thornton
Lucky, then, Sydney at ANZ over Hawthorn at the 'G any day of September. That said, I'm still not particularly confident.

, I'd rather a player in Bower, that I expect we will try and keep for the best part of this decade, to gain one more year of finals experience - even if it is simply the one game.I guess I just have the complete opposite view.

Lucky, then, Sydney at ANZ over Hawthorn at the 'G any day of September. That said, I'm still not particularly confident.

Didn't want Bower dropped because I agree with you. I don't know who I'd drop, that's the advantage of being an armchair expert.

Hope you're wrong about sunday as it's my first game for the year and am carefully confident

Just perused the Carlton website Batman, one of the headlines was "Carrazzo fit to play" - the link didn't work for me however! :(

It's working now ;)

Carrazzo Fit to Play

Andrew Carrazzo proved his fitness at Carlton’s main training session at Visy Park this morning and he has been named in the team to play Sydney in Sunday’s Elimination Final.

Unfortunately the news was not as good for Shaun Grigg who was ruled out with a calf injury.

Carrazzo Fit to Play

Hi All,

Where will all us Melbournians going to watch the game?? Is it showing at Visy Park at all?

I know its on channel 7, but would be good to watch with my fellow Carlton supporters and get a bit of atmosphere!!!

FFS, watch an Ants game.

Johnson has outperformed Thornton, has proven he is far more valuable to the Ants side (ie When he's playing, the Ants win) and he is completely overlooked.

Anderson has been in the bests frequently, including a really good performance against the Tigers a few weeks back.

Thornton's performance is augmented by the fact he has 8 or so preseasons under his belt and players like JA and Austin have half of that.

Even in spite of this, his end of season VFL form isn't necessarily streets ahead of JA for instance, and is probably marginally behind Johnson.

-------------------​

BH, his ongoing omission is due to an attitude and demeanour problem that surfaces when things aren't going Carlton's way, IMO, and these issues continually surface during the VFL.​

Yes it may have harmed the backline BUT if I was to say that his continuing omission from the side is more taxing on our backline than say, Bower's continuing injuries, that would be, simply, moronic. Perhaps Bower's injuries suggest they need a replacement, but obviously the MC (of all people) see fit that a diminished capacity Bower is better than the current capacity of Thornton.​

Not to mention the plethora of other factors, such as Austin, who, since (re)injuring a calf about midway through the season versus Collingwood VFL, has played through these various injuries in an attempt to maintain some fitness. White's double-hip surgery. Jamison's suspect shoulder, that reared its head in R1 and again in R4 - that has lead to his propensity to spoil with his wrong hand (he is still one of the better 'spoilers', especially for his age).​

The key points from your post, Johnson has been in the system at two clubs for a significant period, and has proven not to be up to the level of Afl standard, Anderson has also shown in defence at senior level to be found wanting, Thornton's performances at VFL level in the past month has been better than both.

The second point is that our defence is shaky at best and we should be picking our best team to win this game on Sunday, what is our Plan B if Bower or Jamison fall over in this game, he gives us stability and enables us to release Gibbs to the mid-field if we are in trouble.

l believe has MC should have handled the Thornton situation better and resolved issues and moved forward in the best interests of the team, clearly this has not been the case, a decision has been taken that he will be traded and will not play another senior game at Carlton regardless of FORM, and again l know some people at the Northern Bullants who have emphatically said he has been in their top 4 performers in the last month.

The key points from your post, Johnson has been in the system at two clubs for a significant period, and has proven not to be up to the level of Afl standard, Anderson has also shown in defence at senior level to be found wanting, Thornton's performances at VFL level in the past month has been better than both.

The second point is that our defence is shaky at best and we should be picking our best team to win this game on Sunday, what is our Plan B if Bower or Jamison fall over in this game, he gives us stability and enables us to release Gibbs to the mid-field if we are in trouble.

l believe has MC should have handled the Thornton situation better and resolved issues and moved forward in the best interests of the team, clearly this has not been the case, a decision has been taken that he will be traded and will not play another senior game at Carlton regardless of FORM, and again l know some people at the Northern Bullants who have emphatically said he has been in their top 4 performers in the last month.

This post encapsulates everything I've been trying to say and I would also add:

40000 + members and another few hundred thousand supporters deserve to see our best team on the ground, particularly in finals. This is not the time to think about the future, that can be done post season.

If the m/c have decided that Thornton is to be traded then it is also important that he is played (if his form warrants it) to maximise our return. Their apparent bloody minded approach could, not not only cost us a finals win, but also result in an inferior trade. I agree that, from the outside, this appears to have been handled poorly and to the detriment of the club.

My last point is that Thornton has been a very good player for this club over 8 years and doesn't deserve to be wiped like a dirty arse.

Shutting down Goodes key: Gibbs

Gibbs says a win at ANZ Stadium would be “massive” for the young players at Carlton, many of whom who have already learned a harsh lesson from last year’s elimination final defeat at the hands of the Brisbane Lions.

“Heading into last year having not played in a final, you’re told how it steps up another level,” he said.

“The contested ball and the tackling; it’s fierce and it’s tough and it’s hard and it was all that last year. Being there and playing a game like that is definitely going to hold me in good stead for this year and, no doubt, a lot of the other players that played in that game."

Shutting down Goodes key: Gibbs

Bryce Gibbs said:
You can’t just let him run around willy nilly....
ricky-gervais.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:eek: Seriously I would hate to see what our backline would be like without Gibbs there TBH, He has poise and class and we need him there more so then in the midfield because we would get a cricket score kicked against us if he wasn't there holding them together.

Gibbs needs to be played where we need his ability most to give us a chance to win the game, I thought he was great last week down back and should stay there until we recruit or develop better options.

I think Gibbs has to play back and take Dennis-Lane compeltely out of the game. We cant give him space - his last month has been impressive, but not out of anything other than footy smarts and straight kicking. Their forward line keeps managing goals, by surprise almost - Gibbs to take him out of the game is essential.

This post encapsulates everything I've been trying to say and I would also add:

40000 + members and another few hundred thousand supporters deserve to see our best team on the ground, particularly in finals. This is not the time to think about the future, that can be done post season.

If the m/c have decided that Thornton is to be traded then it is also important that he is played (if his form warrants it) to maximise our return. Their apparent bloody minded approach could, not not only cost us a finals win, but also result in an inferior trade. I agree that, from the outside, this appears to have been handled poorly and to the detriment of the club.

My last point is that Thornton has been a very good player for this club over 8 years and doesn't deserve to be wiped like a dirty arse.

I do not know what you have posted previously but as to your added comments:
1. I agree with you entirely that the best team should be played in finals.
2. If the m/c have decided that Billy-bob be traded then this should have no infuence one way or the other over whether he should play. I disagree that "maximising our return" should have anything to do with a decision to play him for the reasons you previously gave and with which I have agreed. You are inconsistent.
3. I agree that Billy-bob has been a very good player for the club (I would emphasise "has"). I agree he does not deserve to be wiped like a dirty arse.
4. Billy-bob demonstrated last year that he was not going to be able to keep up with a team seeking finals success. He is to weak for the KPD and too slow for the small forwards. He is a good mark but poor spoiler (witness Armfield's broken nose in his last act in his last senior game against the doggies) and is unreliable under pressure. He was given two tries this year, in my opinion each try was quite unnecessary but was very generous to him having regard perhaps to his years of service. Like Brad Miller for Melbourne, Thornton can be best on ground as often as he likes at the level below, unless we are crueled by injury he should never be selected again.
5. If you believe the sentiment expressed above is unfair then please explain, by reference to a senior game he has played this year, why Thornton would be an asset to our defence. In contrast Walker has had several outstanding games, particularly against Geelong first time round. JA played a really good game against Melbourne and, (although I can understand fans being displeased with him) I think the jury is still out. Sometimes (i.e. not consistently) he does show he can play at the level with real speed, gutsy marks and strong tackles. Even Johnson (who I think is a mistake) has played well in patches - I particularly remember his game against Port as being mistake free and with some physical impact until he got injured. These 3 players at least are ahead of Billy bob for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Teams: 1st Elimination Final - Carlton v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back