Tell me why we shouldn't be expecting to make Top 4 this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Reason we won’t make top 4 , we can’t beat bulldogs . Makes more of a bottom 8 or just outside the 8 at year end
It's not so much that we lost, everyone can drop a game, it's that we lost by so much. And when we were looking good pre-bye. Ouch.

Video Game Disbelief GIF by Santa Monica Studio

Why/why not Top 4?

This is a remarkable season.
If the Hawks down WCE today there will be a gap of 1.5 wins between 3rd and 13th!
In 2023 after 15 games there was a gap of 4.5 wins between 3rd and 13th.
It is wide open.

In Freo's favour:
We only travel 3x in the next 8 weeks.
Squiggle has us favouites in 6/8! The only match where we are clear outsiders is GWS - 57% favouring GWS.
We are increasingly seeing a brand of footy that has attacking flair built on solid defence.
Self-belief is growing.
Unbelievably, we have our best two KPDs to return to this team.
Despite our youth, many of our players are showing great maturity. This is seen in the emergence of our team brand of footy. This is a sign of great coaching and a strong off field system.

Against Freo:
Will our young team tire and drop 2-3 games we shouldn't lose?

LFG.

Why/why not Top 4?

This is a remarkable season.
If the Hawks down WCE today there will be a gap of 1.5 wins between 3rd and 13th!
In 2023 after 15 games there was a gap of 4.5 wins between 3rd and 13th.
It is wide open.

In Freo's favour:
We only travel 3x in the next 8 weeks.
Squiggle has us favouites in 6/8! The only match where we are clear outsiders is GWS - 57% favouring GWS.
We are increasingly seeing a brand of footy that has attacking flair built on solid defence.
Self-belief is growing.
Unbelievably, we have our best two KPDs to return to this team.
Despite our youth, many of our players are showing great maturity. This is seen in the emergence of our team brand of footy. This is a sign of great coaching and a strong off field system.

Against Freo:
Will our young team tire and drop 2-3 games we shouldn't lose?

LFG.
It's in our hands for sure.

We're young in the sense that most of our core is 22-26, not in the sense that we have lots of 18-20 recent draftees out there. So we should have the pre-seasons to run the season out.

What concerns me much more than the physical stuff is that our immaturity tends to come out in a putrid performance every 7 games or so. We can't really afford any more of those.

Winning 6/8 I think gets us 3rd or 4th from here. I'm probably not brave enough to bet on it though given the Eagles and Dogs games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's in our hands for sure.

We're young in the sense that most of our core is 22-26, not in the sense that we have lots of 18-20 recent draftees out there. So we should have the pre-seasons to run the season out.

What concerns me much more than the physical stuff is that our immaturity tends to come out in a putrid performance every 7 games or so. We can't really afford any more of those.

Winning 6/8 I think gets us 3rd or 4th from here. I'm probably not brave enough to bet on it though given the Eagles and Dogs games.
Yeah pretty sure we had no first year players in the side. Then just 2 each of second and third year players. Every other player was over 22 (or turning 22 this year)

The only players in their primes from yesterday (26-31):

Darcy 26
Banners 26
Switta 27
Wags 27
Ryan 28
Aish (sub) 28
JoM 30

Peak long gone:

Fyfe 32

That's why we are young, because most of the team hasn't peaked yet and only 1 playing is past it (2 if you count JoM but he probably peaked before doing the knees). It was the entire reason why I said our expectations shouldn't be top 4 this year at the start. Not because they can't, but because they really shouldn't. The fact that we're in it up to our eyeballs at this point is exciting.

Post belongs in the optimism thread, tbh.

The port power game was also one we should have won

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well yep the Carlton one though still stings.

If you flip that game we are 2nd with 42 points.

3rd would be Essendon on 38.

And then Carlton with a bunch of sides on 36.

That's basically a game and half on the chasing pack.

So it turns out Fat Nyfe was correct all along!

Not there yet.

Anyway it wasn’t really a prediction as such I just took a deep dive at the list profile and thought this is a team that should be challenging at the top end despite most external expectations, even from our own supporters.

Well yep the Carlton one though still stings.

If you flip that game we are 2nd with 42 points.

3rd would be Essendon on 38.

And then Carlton with a bunch of sides on 36.

That's basically a game and half on the chasing pack.
We had the better of both of those games. The only let down was in those last few minutes x2. A bit more composure in those dying stages and we'd have both in the W column. There's a fair case to say the sides development in that time also includes the composure component. There's also a fair body of evidence to prove we should fear no one above or below us.

We had the better of both of those games. The only let down was in those last few minutes x2. A bit more composure in those dying stages and we'd have both in the W column. There's a fair case to say the sides development in that time also includes the composure component. There's also a fair body of evidence to prove we should fear no one above or below us.
I agree entirely with what you just said, however it shouldn’t have come down to those last 2-5 mins, in both games and the hawks game we squandered way too many chances when we had ascendency. All three should have been big enough margins that the opposition couldn’t mount a comeback.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell me why we shouldn't be expecting to make Top 4 this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back