Tell me why we shouldn't be expecting to make Top 4 this year

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree we're not a flag threat, but I don't agree with your first sentence. Our football is clearly good enough as evidenced by only two games (and really the Cam game doesn't count) vs top 12 teams where we didn't win or lead in Q4.

Our issues is very obviously closing out games when we're ahead and close games. That's experience/mental.

Maybe - not sure we could go with the Dogs or Brissie since they hit form, feel like we are a tier down. But I guess you never know.

We just aren't ready yet, we've had some great games and terrible ones. So far we seem more like a moments team then an actual good side, we have moments in games where we look like the best team in the comp but we just aren't consistent enough. Game on the weekend was clear evidence of that. We are still one of the youngest sides so we can't be too harsh on them, but when they give you so much false hope it's hard to not be pissed off.

Hawthorn losing has at least made top 8 a bit more solid.

They pay the Blooz this week. If they lose great. If they win the Blooz are in real danger.

We’ve shown we don’t really play badly for many games in a row.
I think we can win 2 of our last three. Might still be good enough for top 4.

Just about every game this week is critical. If we win and things go our way, Collingwood, Hawthorn etc could be finished, we could leapfrog GWS again etc
Anyone not on the Pies deathride this week needs to be shot out of a cannon. We need Sydney to remember how to football and we need them to win.

I agree we're not a flag threat, but I don't agree with your first sentence. Our football is clearly good enough as evidenced by only two games (and really the Cam game doesn't count) vs top 12 teams where we didn't win or lead in Q4.

Our issues is very obviously closing out games when we're ahead and close games. That's experience/mental.
That stat is pretty crazy. We've really just let games go in the last. It's both happy and a sad stat.

Dogs, Brisbane are better than us. No one else I fear plying in a final home or away but would much prefer being home.

Throw a blanket over the rest but if we have Carlton week 1 5v8 I think I’ll throw up with nerves.

We’ve beaten the dogs and Brisbane once this year. The fact they are playing well now doesn’t mean they’re insurmountable

Our backline needs Pearce, our Mids need Fyfe and a fit Darcy, our forwards (and mids for the dump kick out of D50) need Treacy.
When Treacy went off we were 25 points up, by the time he came back on they were in front, not saying he’s the difference but all when all 4 of Pearce, Fyfe, Treacy and a fit Darcy aren’t playing we look very fragile.

We won't make top four because we will not win all of next three games.

There's also a significant chance of us losing all three and missing finals altogether. If that occurs there should be hell to pay.
The odds would have us winning 2 of those. Losing all 3 is the most unlikely scenario. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Missing finals off 13.5 wins I think is the only reasonably likely negative outcome.
Maybe - not sure we could go with the Dogs or Brissie since they hit form, feel like we are a tier down. But I guess you never know.
Yeah but we wouldn't lose because our football isn't good enough, we'd likely lose because those teams will do it for longer.

Fair play, both way more experienced Brisbane especially have a tonne more finals experience. When we close the near 2 seasons per player experience gap, you watch what happens.
That stat is pretty crazy. We've really just let games go in the last. It's both happy and a sad stat.

I mean, it pretty much ends our chances this year but you'd have to be pretty pessimistic to not see that as an overwhelmingly positive stat for future years.

We really are just waiting for the players to mature.

The odds would have us winning 2 of those. Losing all 3 is the most unlikely scenario. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Missing finals off 13.5 wins I think is the only reasonably likely negative outcome.

Yeah but we wouldn't lose because our football isn't good enough, we'd likely lose because those teams will do it for longer.

Fair play, both way more experienced Brisbane especially have a tonne more finals experience. When we close the near 2 seasons per player experience gap, you watch what happens.

I mean, it pretty much ends our chances this year but you'd have to be pretty pessimistic to not see that as an overwhelmingly positive stat for future years.

We really are just waiting for the players to mature.
i gues next year will depend on who we gain and who we lose in the draft

Been some big names mentioned we may target. but little mention of whom may go

Because we shit the bed under pressure & still struggle to close out big games.
Port, Carlton, Hawthorn & just held on v Sydney.
We’re not there yet & need to learn from these games & get better.
yes we dont like the pies. but last year they showed the could win tight games quite often

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because we shit the bed under pressure & still struggle to close out big games.
Port, Carlton, Hawthorn & just held on v Sydney.
We’re not there yet & need to learn from these games & get better.
Starts in the middle. Just don’t think this midfield mix want to bog down and get down and dirty. Repeat stoppages and focusing on shut down football.

Crying out for a Suban, Barlow or Crowley. Just be ferocious.
Brayshaw and Serong just don’t add that grunt.

Why didn’t Jl just play Brodie yesterday knowing he’s mature and gets in hard. Erasmus in was so wrong given he was subbed by third quarter

i gues next year will depend on who we gain and who we lose in the draft

Been some big names mentioned we may target. but little mention of whom may go
It depends more on the internal improvement. We only have about 6 players at or past their peak (Fyfe, Sonny, AP, Ryan, Aish, JoM).

That means everyone else has room to improve. Some of them by a lot.

Also, we clearly need to practice how to hold a lead and how to close a tight game because we are 1 Logan shanks away from being 0-5 in close games this year. That is a team thing, not an individual thing.

A quality player will just make our good better, it won't fix our bad.

It depends more on the internal improvement. We only have about 6 players at or past their peak (Fyfe, Sonny, AP, Ryan, Aish, JoM).

That means everyone else has room to improve. Some of them by a lot.

Also, we clearly need to practice how to hold a lead and how to close a tight game because we are 1 Logan shanks away from being 0-5 in close games this year. That is a team thing, not an individual thing.

A quality player will just make our good better, it won't fix our bad.
i think sonny may retire end of this year . all the others will most likely go round one more time hoping to get a Premiership next year as unlikely this year.

So our trade outs will all be younger ones that other clubs are seeking.

i think sonny may retire end of this year . all the others will most likely go round one more time hoping to get a Premiership next year as unlikely this year.

So our trade outs will all be younger ones that other clubs are seeking.
Fingers crossed we don't trade anyone out. I could stomach Brodie going, but hopefully nobody in our B23.

Consistently losing mature players is why we never seem to take the next step.

Starts in the middle. Just don’t think this midfield mix want to bog down and get down and dirty. Repeat stoppages and focusing on shut down football.

Crying out for a Suban, Barlow or Crowley. Just be ferocious.
Brayshaw and Serong just don’t add that grunt.

Why didn’t Jl just play Brodie yesterday knowing he’s mature and gets in hard. Erasmus in was so wrong given he was subbed by third quarter
Erasmus I thought played ok. I know our forwards were robbed of i50 opportunities but Emmett was giving nothing and would have been my choice for sub at 3 quarter time.

Our centre clearances weren’t great early but I noted Raz was closely manning a player in the forward portion of the centre bounce. Our three key midfielders had their moments but too often just let the ball get out. Also the last quarter when Raz was off the field was our worst period from centre. Aish needs a spell at Peel. He is best suited to outside role. Not blaming him by any stretch but he needs a full game.

It would be great to make a pre-lim and go one further than 2022. I think we're heading for a Lions and Dogs grand final the way things are playing out currently, they're far and away the two best teams going into finals. Top four has opened up for the dogs after this weekend too.

We have control of our top 8 destiny.
We win this week and Collingwood lose to Sydney and Hawks lose to Carlton we should be ok.

The only ones who could knock us out then are Essendon. (**** last week).
The play Gold Coast this week at home
However their last two games are Sydney at home and Brisbane away. Unlikely to win both.

We have control of our top 8 destiny.
We win this week and Collingwood lose to Sydney and Hawks lose to Carlton we should be ok.

The only ones who could knock us out then are Essendon. (**** last week).
The play Gold Coast this week at home
However their last two games are Sydney at home and Brisbane away. Unlikely to win both.
the issue is Pies can beat a suddenly-awful Swans, even without Dew***er. and Hawks on current form can definitely beat Blues

we're the meat in the sandwich, pressure from above and below, can't rely on others' results. need to get the Ws ourselves.

ironically, that ***** draw might come in handy. little 2 pt buffer vs some of the teams clustered on points below us.

that and a healthy percentage may help us when the final siren goes on the Pear game in R24.

Had to refrain from posting last week after the Essendon game. I've felt dejected and depressed bu never rarely so angry that I couldn't get my head together and articulate my thoughts.

There is still hope of making top four, improbable considering the opposition we have, but if we've learnt and are serious then it can happen. We just bloody well have to be playing Sydney in this first bought of the finals.

Note: The retro geursney arrived in the mail on Monday and just bloody made me mad!

Hoping all the faithful show up to the game this week and make some noise!

Death-ride all the way this week please!

Fingers crossed we don't trade anyone out. I could stomach Brodie going, but hopefully nobody in our B23.

Consistently losing mature players is why we never seem to take the next step.
Brodie wont be high value . to get a godo trade he is unlikely to be taken by others clubs

Still a useful player. but i dont think he other clubs will vallue him high enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell me why we shouldn't be expecting to make Top 4 this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back