Thank you Scotty West

Remove this Banner Ad

Remarkably overated but an above player none the less.

One of the nice guys of the AFL.

Have you actually ever seen him play you peanut? :mad:
Scotty West was a true champion for many many years and blokes like him don't grow on trees. This is a sad day for one of the best ever to pull on the red, white and blue.
To say he is 'remarkably overrated' simply shows ignorance and a lack of knowledge on your behalf.
Would easily walk into Geelong's midfield of today

This is the biggest disgrace. I cannot believe that the Western Bulldogs have done this, i am guttered.
Western Bulldogs Footy Club you should be ***ing ashamed.

no the discrace is you with limited spots available on player lists now a days i feel the club had no choice if he struggles for fitness next year as a doggies supporter would you like to see him finish his career in the reserves

this is a ****ing joke.... he was the heart and soul of this team for the past 10 years won every award possible at that club and isnt atleast given the chance to prove himself. BUlldogs you are a ****ing disgrace.
this shows very poor form

i say bring him to hawthorn so he has a chance of wining a flag in the next couple of years.

i liked the bulldogs but this is shocking form.... ****ing disgrace

no the discrace is you with limited spots available on player lists now a days i feel the club had no choice if he struggles for fitness next year as a doggies supporter would you like to see him finish his career in the reserves
NO.. you atleast give him the chance to prove himself next year... he has been the heart and soul and without him who knows how much worse they woulda been.

He has struggled all season to over-come his knee troubles and failed. I think the club has given him a decent run to get right, but at 34 (turning 35 next year) his knee(s) are probably never going to be "right". The writing was on the wall, I think Westy just chose to ignore it.

Great player, and a "tough love" call that had to be made by the club.

This is the biggest disgrace. I cannot believe that the Western Bulldogs have done this, i am guttered.
Western Bulldogs Footy Club you should be ***ing ashamed.

Why? His leg is gone, he's 34 years old and there's no spot in the team for him.
*AWW LETS ALL FEEL SORRY FOR HIM AND PLAY HIM FOR NO REASON*
Harden the **** up, this is AFL football not a charity. And people saying "let him prove himself next year." Ok do you want to put up the money for a whole season on the high chance that he wont play again?

I love Westy though. Great career and servant of the Bulldogs. 300+ games, there wont be many more players who reach that.

Wow, wasn't expecting to see him delisted when I clicked on this thread.

As if you can just delist a 7 time B&F...

Bulldogs know when to cut their players unlike the Saints.

Peckett, Thompson, Jones, Powell just to name a few. Probably why your club is in the toilet right now.

Plaudits to Westy on a great career.
All that needs to be said. Regardless of circumstances, he's one of the best on his generation.
Bulldogs know when to cut their players unlike the Saints.

Peckett, Thompson, Jones, Powell just to name a few. Probably why your club is in the toilet right now.
Don't forget Aaron Hamill :p.

The bulldogs can't afford to have an 34 year old player with shot knees on their list next year if they wan't to win a premiership, but I'd like to think West is given the chance to retire ..
Football is a ruthless game, and really Carlton's problem in the late 90's was hanging on to our old dinosaurs too long like Harry Madden, and not enough youth was placed in the team at the time ...
The Bulldogs had a marvellous year without him for most of the season, so from their line of thinking, I suppose they wanted to free up an extra spot on their list, cause I can't imagine them delisting too many players from that list ...

Having said that, it is a very poor time to announce this, especially after a day when one of their own, Cooney won the Brownlow, and I feel bad for their supporters ...
They have less then 24 hours to celebrate another brownlow medalist, and one of their club champions has left the Whitten Oval ...

this is a ****ing joke.... he was the heart and soul of this team for the past 10 years won every award possible at that club and isnt atleast given the chance to prove himself. BUlldogs you are a ****ing disgrace.
this shows very poor form

i say bring him to hawthorn so he has a chance of wining a flag in the next couple of years.

i liked the bulldogs but this is shocking form.... ****ing disgrace

Is everything ok mate? If the retirement/delisting of Scott West is enough to make you react like this then I'd hate to be in your Cat's position if the Hawks happen to go down this Saturday!

Some of the posting in this thread has once again demonstrated why standards in football reporting are allowed to remain at the staggeringly low level we currently experience. The public gets fed only a small portion of the facts, message boards and talk back radio stations go into overdrive and papers get sold, while the reputations of individuals or football clubs get tarnished.

Prior to giving the Bulldogs a lambasting in this thread, can anybody say they were completely across all of the circumstances behind his retirement/delisting?

This is what happened

Eade: We don't want you anymore.
West: You sure?
:mad:Yep.
:eek:Why not?
:mad:You're too old. You'd better retire.
:(But I want to keep playing
:mad:Well, you can't. You'd better retire
:mad:Well i'm not going to
:cool:OK. You're sacked. Get out

(I was there)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say that Scott West's reputation has been tarnished at all. This shows that he is such a great and respected person in the football community.

I was speaking generally about issues that arise in the media on a daily basis where not all of the facts are presented and people fly off the handle, and using this topic as an example of why the media is allowed to be so lazy in how they report stories.

In this case the club is copping it.

Why are people getting angry? Why would the bulldogs want to keep paying a 30+ player who they think isn't worth a spot at AFL level. The same people complain about clubs like bulldogs needing financial assistance, yet when they do the fiscally responsible thing in this situation they get heavily criticised. S**t some people can never be please

His knee isnt a deteriorating issue, he has a letter from a doctor saying he just needs a bit of rest and he can come back preseason and wont have any lingering issues. I think that is good enough to have another crack. If his knee was deteriorating then thats a different story.

Carlton copped a little heat for delisting Lance Whitnall and he had a deteriorating knee problem. This is an age and future benefit thing I guess.

First off congratulations to West has been my favourite player outside of the crows gave his heart and soul for the bulldogs and I wish you all the best in your career outside of football if noone picks you up (hope they do). :thumbsu:

I dont like the way he was treated it was unfair but unfortuantly thats football these days, its a buisness and harsh calls have to be made and not everyone gets the dream retirement scott west ceartinly deserved one though.

Over the summer there will be threads on this forum decrying the lack of loyalty by players, as they decide to change clubs. In the light of this and other decisions by clubs, that is going to be a difficult argument to mount successfully.

Loved watching West play. To appreciate his genius you had to watch closely. Those who found him mediocre were incapable of watching closely.

Re: Scott West Dumped

Right Decision imo tough one to make considering his a club legend but probably would'nt get a game next season and knee could stuff up again. Don't like the way they handled it though could have let him go out in a bit better fashion then just delisting him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you Scotty West

Remove this Banner Ad

Back