Thanks for the memories but it's time

Remove this Banner Ad

it does come down to a question though of honouring/ ensuring dignified retirement of certain players

Should Corey continue on for instance - whats the point with 7 games to go.

Personally I think the latitude should be extended - to farewell these warriors with dignity even if short term its wiser to play the kids

So guys like Guthrie, Smedts, Murdoch, Taylor Hunt, Horlin-Smith and company learn that selection isn't based on merit, and coaches' favourites get retained despite costing the side games. Really good way to teach young guys to be selfish and put themselves first.

It's only 5 years since Chapman said those magnificent words. Obviously some think that the rules don't have to apply equally. You don't become a great club by having one rule for some and a different one for others. If Corey isn't in the best 22 on form he doesn't get picked.

So guys like Guthrie, Smedts, Murdoch, Taylor Hunt, Horlin-Smith and company learn that selection isn't based on merit, and coaches' favourites get retained despite costing the side games. Really good way to teach young guys to be selfish and put themselves first.

It's only 5 years since Chapman said those magnificent words. Obviously some think that the rules don't have to apply equally. You don't become a great club by having one rule for some and a different one for others. If Corey isn't in the best 22 on form he doesn't get picked.

Your ruthless type of attitude is the same type of attitude Melbourne adopted when they pushed club legends like McDonald and Bruce out the door.

It's pretty apparent now that we're a very long shot to make it to prelim week this year let alone any further. I don't have any issue with Corey or any other underperforming senior player getting games their form perhaps doesn't warrant this year even if it costs us a couple of games along the way. Guys like Corey have bled for this club and helped turn it into the great club it is today. He deserves respect. He and the club will decide at the end of the season whether he can contribute enough to go forward for another year.

RE: your list of younger players, Guthrie, Smedts and Hunt have had extremely good runs in the seniors this year despite some poor games. A two-time premiership player in Byrnes is unable to get a game despite what seems like a new debutant each week, and the selection committee clearly has no issue in giving younger players games they don't necessarily deserve based on VFL form.

Basically, if playing Joel Corey for the rest of the year costs us a game or two along the way (which I highly doubt; we have plenty of more concerning issues such as Hawkins' kicking, a slow midfield and a first ruckman who has played less than 40 games), I'm happy to live with it. Allowing our champions - especially our triple-premiership players - to leave the game with dignity is very important to me and seemingly our coach, too.

Smedts found out last night he's still got a long way to go. Never got near it when the pressure was on.

We won't get pissed off when they start a winning streak. Because it won't happen. What will your reaction be when they miss the finals?
He'll bob up (ha ha) and then disappear.

I'm inclined to agree with G.E. there's no way we can win a flag with this many youngsters so I think the old boys should enjoy one last crack even if they're not up to it. Serves two purposes. Shows respect, faith and trust in the group and honours their achievements and secondly makes it easier to move them on at the end of the year "look guys we gave you the chance, you gave it your best now it's time to move on".

you've turned to the dark side :(
I said I'm inclined. Leaning that way. Not there yet :)

I tell you what though. I'm sick of all the journalists standing over our "corpse" like they are. Lining up to sink the boot in. Gloating. You know what, Lane, Lloyd, Malthouse, Darcey, Walls and whoever eat a dick. This club has been one of the most exciting and amazing to watch in history (I'm sorry but a Collingwood side that won 4 flags in the 20's does not have claims to jack). Football has been played on our terms for the last 5 years. We have been the paradigm. So show some ****ing respect instead of trotting out years old article on "the demise of Geelong who don't have it anymore". Rant Over

fpm84, I agree with your idea but I don't think the two concepts are mutually exclusive i.e. calling time on some of the vets (even if they don't want to go) and treating them with dignity. Good clubs make tough decisions and the reality that everyone's time comes to an end is just that, but the way in which you communicate it to the player(s) and implement their farewell dates can be done in a respectful manner. In relation to JC, I think everyone can see that time needs to be called that this season will be his last, but the club can communicate that to him in a respectful way that values all he's done for the club.

I think the player we are really missing is Menzel -how many times the ball was kicked deep into our forward line and a Collingwood defender would mark the ball on his chest -Menzel could have kicked alot of goals last night

The knock ive got on our young players -guys like Duncan Smedts Guthrie Hunt -none of them have that explosive power in their legs -you compare them to Heath Shaw and Harry O -they give Collingwood real dash and rebound -and quick ball movement from the backline -we havent got that .

As for Scarlett -i reckon he has been shocking -you compare him with Enright - Enright is what 30-hes never been quick -but he tried his heart out for Geelong last night -Scarlet didnt - hes playing careful football -careful not to get hurt in his final year

We can't be critical of Geelong. What purity and beauty Geelong have given us in the last 5 years. The top 4 or 5 teams currently in the AFL don't compare to the great Geelong team of the past 5 years.

hope you don't mind me jumping in but maybe the player you've really missed in Vardy. Good enough to give West a chop out in the ruck and was a good presence up forward.

And why the payout on Scarlett? (one of my favourite non Collingwood players). He's still able to play that Dustin Fletcher/quarterback role which is so critical. I think we got smart last night by playing Tarrant up forward which meant that Scarlett had to be accountable for a tall.

Good luck for the rest of the year and I hope we avoid you in Sept

Your ruthless type of attitude is the same type of attitude Melbourne adopted when they pushed club legends like McDonald and Bruce out the door.

It's pretty apparent now that we're a very long shot to make it to prelim week this year let alone any further. I don't have any issue with Corey or any other underperforming senior player getting games their form perhaps doesn't warrant this year even if it costs us a couple of games along the way. Guys like Corey have bled for this club and helped turn it into the great club it is today. He deserves respect. He and the club will decide at the end of the season whether he can contribute enough to go forward for another year.

RE: your list of younger players, Guthrie, Smedts and Hunt have had extremely good runs in the seniors this year despite some poor games. A two-time premiership player in Byrnes is unable to get a game despite what seems like a new debutant each week, and the selection committee clearly has no issue in giving younger players games they don't necessarily deserve based on VFL form.

Basically, if playing Joel Corey for the rest of the year costs us a game or two along the way (which I highly doubt; we have plenty of more concerning issues such as Hawkins' kicking, a slow midfield and a first ruckman who has played less than 40 games), I'm happy to live with it. Allowing our champions - especially our triple-premiership players - to leave the game with dignity is very important to me and seemingly our coach, too.

great read, top post :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this year is bait different to last year too. LR, with Dasher and Moons, we were right up there going for the flag. This year not so much. I fail to see how over the next 7 games getting 3 more in for Smithy to get 250 is going to hurt Geelong. Yes, granted a younger player will miss those games but for me i'll take another loss this year (if that is what the result is) to grant the reward to a player who has been and is a champion of the club of the highest order for the past 10 years. Shit - ill give him a pass just of that smother in 07.

To me its things like this that make a club great. The respect and tradition that you surround the place with that is intangible but that every player and supporter knows is there. Dasher couldn't get to 300 - he needed 8 games but might have got a go this year to get them if he wanted. JC needs 3. He gets them.

Im not discounting the need to move on, the perils of holding lists too long. Its plain to see and I agree we are in that time of regeneration - but it can be done successfully and with class at once.

GO Catters.

I think the player we are really missing is Menzel -how many times the ball was kicked deep into our forward line and a Collingwood defender would mark the ball on his chest -Menzel could have kicked alot of goals last night

The knock ive got on our young players -guys like Duncan Smedts Guthrie Hunt -none of them have that explosive power in their legs -you compare them to Heath Shaw and Harry O -they give Collingwood real dash and rebound -and quick ball movement from the backline -we havent got that .

As for Scarlett -i reckon he has been shocking -you compare him with Enright - Enright is what 30-hes never been quick -but he tried his heart out for Geelong last night -Scarlet didnt - hes playing careful football -careful not to get hurt in his final year

Scarlett playing "careful not to get hurt" - WTF!! You have got to be kidding me.What sort of lame arse childish insult is that to one of the GREATEST champions this club has produced? Scarlett does not shirk a contest. After all of the vitriol coming from one bad year after 5 years of the best football EVER , this ranks amongst the most asinine and childish behaviour. Talk about fair weather supporters, this is pathetic.

Your right but how many pre seasons have Shaw and Harry had. Until they have played 50 games and had at least 3 pre seasons judging the kids is pure speculation. If you look at Cameron Ling's first few games a slow, plump, short for a key position player full forward, what odd's he would be a premiership captain that held the midield together.

It's the same attitude Geelong had after 2006 and again in 2008 when they held detailed internal reviews. Ask the players how they felt when they sat up front and faced the entire playing group and were told brutal home truths. Ask if that was ruthless or not.

It always comes back to this. The straight line reasoning that says "player x gets dropped = shocking lack of respect for him". Let's say he gets dropped. How is that showing disrespect? Pretty much every other player has had to deal with it from time to time. He might get some form back and return to the senior side in better touch and make better contributions.

Why didn't Mooney or Milburn get more games then? Why didn't he let Milburn get to 300? You do realise Corey is part of that slow midfield right? Because unfortunately he can't play anywhere else.

Why didn't Mooney or Milburn get more games then? Why didn't he let Milburn get to 300? You do realise Corey is part of that slow midfield right? Because unfortunately he can't play anywhere else.

Last year we were in premiership assault mode. This year we're not.

Mooney struggled with injury/suspension last year and he basically lost his spot to West - we played Ottens, Mooney, Hawkins and Podsiadly in the 2010 prelim and it didn't work. A year later, Scott thought the balance was better with two tall forwards and two ruckmen - and it worked.

As for Dasher, he didn't lose his spot to a direct replacement - it was essentially Duncan and Christensen forcing themselves into our best 22 that left him without a spot.

I do understand where you're coming from and nobody is trying to defend JC's form this season which has clearly been well below what we got from him last year. I just think that the kids are already getting a very fair run this season and will get even more opportunities in 2013.

I floated the idea of playing him as sub a couple of weeks ago and I'd still like to see it. Getting him out of the heat of the game early would have benefits and would allow a Sheringham/Horlin-Smith type to play a full game. Plus, in a close game when the result's on the line, I'd rather have a fresh JC coming on the field than a nervous first gamer.

I do understand where you're coming from and nobody is trying to defend JC's form this season which has clearly been well below what we got from him last year. I just think that the kids are already getting a very fair run this season and will get even more opportunities in 2013.

I floated the idea of playing him as sub a couple of weeks ago and I'd still like to see it. Getting him out of the heat of the game early would have benefits and would allow a Sheringham/Horlin-Smith type to play a full game. Plus, in a close game when the result's on the line, I'd rather have a fresh JC coming on the field than a nervous first gamer.

I do agree with that part. That could be the best way to utilise him for the time being. Horlin-Smith must be a chance for a game surely, he's doing everything that's needed.

Lets not do a Melbourne and cut all our older blokes because they may not be around by the next flag.

All those guys have the right to decide when their time is up, given their careers. Joel Corey has slowed down a lot this year, but he still has a role to play. The rest will all play on next year...

Last night was bad but factor in that, Varcoe, Bartel, Menzel, Pods, Vardy all didn't play and will probably all play next time we met them....things can change pretty quickly...
And cast your minds back to the 2010 PF. If Geelong had listened to the "experts" Ling would have been retired along with others.

But in 2012, Ling is retired, and Corey is another 2 years older.
Yes, but let's not write off everyone just yet. Scarlett may have "looked" disinterested on Saturday night. I didn't see that, but I wouldn't write him off just yet. Ditto Chappy & Stokes.

There is no doubt the guys are in a slump, accentuated by so many youngsters being in the team

Agree for most points, but why put the individual before the club?

Last year, Scotty was contemplating who to play out of Hawkins and Mooney in finals. Mooney was a warrior for the club and was one of the most passionate players to play in the hoops, yet he got dropped out of the team in September.

Looking back, aren't you happy that Hawkins wasn't dropped and Mooney didn't get to leave "with dignity"? Doubt Mooney would have done the same as Hawkins (as much as it pains me to say) did.

There's got to be a limit. You think you'd be doing Joel any favours by letting him get slaughtered out there? You think that's dignified?

I would say being gifted games when you are shot would be more embarrassing than getting dropped like everyone else.

I'm not saying that is definitely the case by the way, was hoping he would pull out a balltearer on the weekend, but it doesn't seem like he has it in him anymore. Always loved his work, has been a massive servant of the GFC who will always have boundless respect, but when you gotta go you gotta go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the memories but it's time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back