List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mmmm, but one averages 25 touches a game and the other averages 15. Obviously a bit more end result for their work for one of the players, there.

Thats why they will play different roles. Ed Langdon is a damaging winger who can run both ways (good numbers for both inside 50s and rebound 50s). Tomlinson is a "clean up when things go pear shaped" winger.

1. Turnover safety - he can push back and pick up a forward of any size or mid on transition if they have burnt their man off. He is rated elite for spoils and one percenters.
2. Defensive outlet - if the defence is under too much pressure he provides an outlet. He is a good mark and win contested ball when needed so he can collect that quick kick out of defence and then find a target with a short kick.

If he can aid with those two things which he already is doing for GWS he will improve our side.

If he can get his hands on the ball more and become more damaging forward of centre then it's a huge win.

Not to mention he can play anywhere on the ground (even ruck) if we have an injury.

Thats why they will play different roles. Ed Langdon is a damaging winger who can run both ways (good numbers for both inside 50s and rebound 50s). Tomlinson is a "clean up when things go pear shaped" winger.

1. Turnover safety - he can push back and pick up a forward of any size or mid on transition if they have burnt their man off. He is rated elite for spoils and one percenters.
2. Defensive outlet - if the defence is under too much pressure he provides an outlet. He is a good mark and win contested ball when needed so he can collect that quick kick out of defence and then find a target with a short kick.

If he can aid with those two things which he already is doing for GWS he will improve our side.

If he can get his hands on the ball more and become more damaging forward of centre then it's a huge win.

Not to mention he can play anywhere on the ground (even ruck) if we have an injury.

What people think Tomlinson offers and what he'll actually do on match days are very likely a long way apart.

In this day and age a centre can be either

Right, well I think we'll be switching Brayshaw and Langdon when it comes to match-day.

Also, anyone getting a feeling we might be trying something with Brad Hill? Fremantle not moving much with the Saints.
Can't afford his massive contract, JM said as much.

Nothing was asked about if we were planning on doing anything with Pick 3 tho, which feels like a missed opportunity.

Any update there Devastating Boris

Right, well I think we'll be switching Brayshaw and Langdon when it comes to match-day.
And what will that do? The way I see it is if we can have Langdon and Tomlinson / Salem playing outside midfielders and Oliver & Viney playing purely inside then Brayshaw and Harmes can be hybrids.

Nothing was asked about if we were planning on doing anything with Pick 3 tho, which feels like a missed opportunity.

Honestly think we need to find a way. I mean if the Saints can’t get it done where will he go? Hawthorn? We need to find a way if we can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mahoney needs to sort the small forward issue out. Unless AVB and Hannan are genuinely fit then we are struggling for smaller to medium options.

Butler should be looked at, along with Gray. Also, anyone getting a feeling we might be trying something with Brad Hill? Fremantle not moving much with the Saints.
Or Spargo, Lockhart, Bedford and Chandler need to show a lot more.

I did some digging

In 2014, we traded pick 23 ---> Frost, 40 and 53.
In 2019, we traded Frost, 42, 61 and 65~ ---> 33~ and 50

The ~ icons are approximate for 2020 picks.

So basically we kept Frost for 5 years and 70+ games, made him a better player, then gave him away to get roughly equal, if not less back than what we started with 5 years ago.
For some reason young players who have done nothing but can potentially be good are worth more than proven good players.

We still need to recruit a gun small. Just to continue to add pressure on the rest of the list and build depth. Saints and Blues around Butler, we need to get in on that.
I agree, it is stunning that the majority of the fanbase can be calling out for this type of player and that the brains trust isn’t interested? Especially when some gray and butler should cost a bag of chips.

So a split is still on the cards by the sounds.

Also was told by my mate at GWS. That JM’s interview smacked of someone who is watching something very intently and biding his time.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back