List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The one thing we’ve been great at in the last few years during trade week is that we pick our targets and get the job done. We’ve missed out on Elliott this year but succeeded with our wing targets & we clearly don’t rate the other players available, possibly because of the price that they may be looking for, so we just don’t worry about them..
Also it’s pretty clear we don’t rate the small forward options that are available in butler & Gray so I’m happy for us to head to the draft now.. We certainly don’t appear to make any rash decisions during this time of the yr

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

TK board update 2. Mahoney says we aren't interested in trading for a small this year and board melts.

We could still draft, sign one as a free agent or ... I dunno still trade for one. People lie all the time.

Posters want superstar small forward, yeah me too. We tried for Elliot and he rejected us so apparently we haven't tried anything according to some.

Butler and Sam Gray are mentioned, again yeah I don't mind Butler but considering Richmond don't want him how much of an upgrade would he be on a fit Hannan or a Draftee? Not sure.

Good effort though, love the ups and downs of posters based off a piece of audio and then a post from DB without any actual info

TK board update 2. Mahoney says we aren't interested in trading for a small this year and board melts.

We could still draft, sign one as a free agent or ... I dunno still trade for one. People lie all the time.

Posters want superstar small forward, yeah me too. We tried for Elliot and he rejected us so apparently we haven't tried anything according to some.

Butler and Sam Gray are mentioned, again yeah I don't mind Butler but considering Richmond don't want him how much of an upgrade would he be on a fit Hannan or a Draftee? Not sure.

Good effort though, love the ups and downs of posters based off a piece of audio and then a post from DB without any actual info

I read somewhere once upon a time that if food is too salty you can add honey!

I’m fine with our deals today. I’m not fine with the small forward problem.

Any mature age AFL ready types kicking around in state league's last year?
Hopefully we have spotted someone, and are planning to fill that hole at the draft.

If worst comes to worst we can always pick Jeffy up again, or maybe even premiership superstar Poppy 😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉 btw, me mashing the wink emoji means im joking, for all of you daft campaigners out there.

Poor Jack Trengove
81 games in his first 4 years, number 2 draft pick and captain of his club.

8 games in his next 7 seasons.

He's overachieved getting those 8 games given he can't kick over a jam tin and sprints as fast as a 50 yo.

Hopefully we have spotted someone, and are planning to fill that hole at the draft.

If worst comes to worst we can always pick Jeffy up again, or maybe even premiership superstar Poppy 😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉 btw, me mashing the wink emoji means im joking, for all of you daft campaigners out there.
Would love to see the melts when we sign poppy.. followed by the love round one when he actually applies some forward pressure

Tom Browne
@TomBrowne7
A lot of clubs are trying to move up the draft order, including proposing using future picks. Melbourne and Carlton were im told close on a deal that fell over today. Indicative that talent good at top of draft, then falls off, possibly around 7 or 8
So we should trade 3 for 9 and 10. Sounds like a cunning Dees strategy.

Would love to see the melts when we sign poppy.. followed by the love round one when he actually applies some forward pressure

I'm not interested in him, purely for the reason of if the wheels fall off they fall of quickly for a player of his age. Don't want to carry a guy on the list all year that serves us no purpose outside of a forward pressure roll when he could suddenly hit the wall by round 1 or 2 into the season.

I'd hope that's not the plan. Imagine we are planning on targeting a state league player at the draft, and another club drafts that person before we do. Cue shocked Josh Mahoney face. Maybe picking up Sam Gray or Butler as cheap insurance isn't such a bad idea?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd hope that's not the plan. Imagine we are planning on targeting a state league player at the draft, and another club drafts that person before we do. Cue shocked Josh Mahoney face. Maybe picking up Sam Gray or Butler as cheap insurance isn't such a bad idea?

I like Butler a lot. I agree we should be looking at him.

Sam Gray...ehhhh... not sure he s a true small forward or as good as advertised honestly, and his disposal is massive concern to me.

Re my original post; was just throwing out an idea as to why we wouldn't target anyone for that role.. I wouldn't have a clue if there are any quality crumbling forward types at state level. Just trying to make some sense of it.

I'm not interested in him, purely for the reason of if the wheels fall off they fall of quickly for a player of his age. Don't want to carry a guy on the list all year that serves us no purpose outside of a forward pressure roll when he could suddenly hit the wall by round 1 or 2 into the season.
I get that. Could be a good bloke for lockhart and co to learn from though. I think he fits a need and would be no worse than carrying jkh for a year.

He's overachieved getting those 8 games given he can't kick over a jam tin and sprints as fast as a 50 yo.
and still twice as good as the Wagner bros and they are still on our list

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

I understand that Serong is who are looking at with 3.

We are still keen to split the pick though, but not acting desperate.

We’ve packed up unless anyone comes knocking the door down for pick 3..

Yeah he’s been our back up since we learnt GC were pitching the PP (pretty sure I posted this about 2 months ago).

Our preference is still for 2 top 10s but that’s our fall back. We may even trade 3 on draft night.

So my mate doesn’t have melbourne in their mock but thinks the are below options for us depending on the picks we may hold.

Serong
Flanders (surely nickname is Ned)
Kemp
Robertson
Weightman

and still twice as good as the Wagner bros and they are still on our list

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Na man, we cooked Trenners by the age of 22 sadly. I can honestly say I see better players than him at my local nowadays. Hes got his games on reputation and perhaps even some pity since. Nothing else.

It's sad how quick his career was over due to MFC management.

Last edited:
I understand that Serong is who are looking at with 3.

We are still keen to split the pick though, but not acting desperate.

We’ve packed up unless anyone comes knocking the door down for pick 3..
Where did you hear that we’re looking at Serong? Isn’t he a medium inside/forward type?

Yeah he’s been our back up since we learnt GC were pitching the PP (pretty sure I posted this about 2 months ago).

Our preference is still for 2 top 10s but that’s our fall back. We may even trade 3 on draft night.

So my mate doesn’t have melbourne in their mock but thinks the are below options for us depending on the picks we may hold.

Serong
Flanders (surely nickname is Ned)
Kemp
Robertson
Weightman
No Ash or Young in that list? If that list is right, we haven’t learned a single thing this year and we are truly f**cked.

No Ash or Young in that list? If that list is right, we haven’t learned a single thing this year and we are truly f**cked.
**** relax mate. That list is one blokes opinion without any knowledge.

Poor Jack Trengove
81 games in his first 4 years, number 2 draft pick and captain of his club.

8 games in his next 7 seasons.
I noticed I still haven't changed my avatar, captain Trengove standing on the Yarra, seems an eternity ago now.

At least we'll no longer have to hear anything about that other Jack TrenGROVE.

Where did you hear that we’re looking at Serong? Isn’t he a medium inside/forward type?

I don’t know anything about draftees so can only pass on what I’m being told.

Serong has been on the cards all year. Apparently in terms of best available, he is the clear leader without Rowell and Anderson. Daylight to 4, some good quality in the top 10 but it seems to drop off after that. Serong would suit our small forward needs for the 2-3 years. An upgrade on everything we have in that role.

I like Butler a lot. I agree we should be looking at him.

Sam Gray...ehhhh... not sure he s a true small forward or as good as advertised honestly, and his disposal is massive concern to me.

Re my original post; was just throwing out an idea as to why we wouldn't target anyone for that role.. I wouldn't have a clue if there are any quality crumbling forward types at state level. Just trying to make some sense of it.

Ha, we've just signed Langdon and Tomlinson. Bit late for us to start getting concerned about disposal. I don't think Sam Gray is anything flash, but he's not too old and can play a position we're short in. He'd come cheap. He's essentially the Adam Tomlinson of small forwards / half flankers except we don't have to pay him a top 10 salary to get him to come here.

I don't know why we're not into Butler. Hannan was awful this year, Garlett left (quite a while ago), Spargo was also rubbish, Trac should be spending more time in the midfield, Lewis retired and AVB is perennially injured. We could sign up a few small forward types and still be short in the department during the next season.

I just asked for you.

Young not expected to be available at any of our picks. Ash without it being said, sounds like will be GWS’ pick if the picks stay the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back