List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m fine with our deals today. I’m not fine with the small forward problem.
Correct. Mahoney has stated that he thinks we are fine in this department, yet I don’t see a decent small forward. Melksham, ANB, AVB, Hannan and Petracca are all medium sized forwards. The only real small forward we’ve got is Spargo, and unless he can improve dramatically he isn’t playing in 2020.

Richmond happy to trade Butler for a 4th or 5th rounder , and we aren’t interested. We should swoop now while the Saints are working out all their other trades

Melbourne aren't known for our hustle. This is why we'll get nowhere. Whilst Carlton and St Kilda are distracted with other events we could swoop in. But JM is a lightweight in these matters.

And what will that do? The way I see it is if we can have Langdon and Tomlinson / Salem playing outside midfielders and Oliver & Viney playing purely inside then Brayshaw and Harmes can be hybrids.

Put a bloke who does his best work outside the contest where he belongs and a bloke who is a good inside midfielder where he can play his best football? What do we need wingers for otherwise? Chunk and Lewis should've been able to do just fine on the wing if there was nary a difference between the positions.

So a split is still on the cards by the sounds.

Also was told by my mate at GWS. That JM’s interview smacked of someone who is watching something very intently and biding his time.
do you know if GWS are happy with where they are at with pick 6, or do they still want to move up? any chance we could give them pick 3 in return for pick 6 and a player?

Thats why they will play different roles. Ed Langdon is a damaging winger who can run both ways (good numbers for both inside 50s and rebound 50s). Tomlinson is a "clean up when things go pear shaped" winger.

1. Turnover safety - he can push back and pick up a forward of any size or mid on transition if they have burnt their man off. He is rated elite for spoils and one percenters.
2. Defensive outlet - if the defence is under too much pressure he provides an outlet. He is a good mark and win contested ball when needed so he can collect that quick kick out of defence and then find a target with a short kick.

If he can aid with those two things which he already is doing for GWS he will improve our side.

If he can get his hands on the ball more and become more damaging forward of centre then it's a huge win.

Not to mention he can play anywhere on the ground (even ruck) if we have an injury.
Why aren't you an Assistant Coach, you have my full backing and support, probably not worth much but I have your back. :heavycheck:

I posted last night. Giants aren’t convinced they’re high enough yet.

All clubs are preparing for the biggest late scramble in history. Expect us to keep an eye on everything and pounce on fallout. We’ve got our deals done now we’re in it for the bonuses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All clubs are preparing for the biggest late scramble in history. Expect us to keep an eye on everything and pounce on fallout. We’ve got our deals done now we’re in it for the bonuses.
We need huge overs for 3 to make up for losing Anderson.

I was thinking JM feels he has what he needs (even though there seem to be some options where we could use 50 to get a small forward). It seems he will sit back and wait for someone desperate enough to overpay. We seem to have a golden ticket for some clubs. I kind of want it to end like draft day, where we say we want Finlayson because we feel like it.

On CPH1701 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm pretty happy overall with our trades and I'm happy to just go to the draft with pick 3 rather than splitting it. Initially was a bit underwhelmed with Tomlinson and Langdon being our targets, but now that we have landed them I'm quite enthusiastic about next year. However if we have another season like 2019 I might actually consider moving to Canada (which is a legit option with my job, not just a place for disgruntled dee fans)

I do admire the way you aim to turn this relatively pedestrian trade period into a cliff hanger.

Tom Browne
@TomBrowne7
A lot of clubs are trying to move up the draft order, including proposing using future picks. Melbourne and Carlton were im told close on a deal that fell over today. Indicative that talent good at top of draft, then falls off, possibly around 7 or 8

Tom Browne
@TomBrowne7
A lot of clubs are trying to move up the draft order, including proposing using future picks. Melbourne and Carlton were im told close on a deal that fell over today. Indicative that talent good at top of draft, then falls off, possibly around 7 or 8
3 for 9 and a future first the mooted trade do you guys reckon? Carlton would be backing themselves for the future pick to be 10+.

Given JM specifically said not to a small forward in Trade Period, I'm choosing to think they're planning to get one as a Delisted FA, or confident of getting one in the draft.
Hasn’t Serong been mentioned at pick 3. I read somewhere we he is a small forward who also can play midfield. So maybe that is what JM was referring to.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back