The 2nd Division Thread (proposal)

Should Australia have a second Division to the A-League?

• Yes

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

30 clubs, 25 entities have submitted an EOI:

Adelaide City
APIA Leichardt
Avondale FC
Bentleigh Greens
Brisbane City
Brisbane United (Brisbane Strikers / Wynnum Wolves / Virginia United)
Brunswick Juventus
Canberra Croatia
Football SA (Campbelltown City / North Eastern MetroStars / West Torrens Birkalla / West Adelaide)
Gold Coast Knights
Gold Coast United
Gungahlin United
Heidelberg United
Marconi Stallions
Melbourne Knights
Olympic FC
Peninsula Power
Preston Lions
Rockdale Ilinden
South Hobart
South Melbourne
Sydney Olympic
Sydney United 58
Sunshine Coast Fire
Wollongong Wolves

There has been since 1977. Still have that chip on your shoulder, kid.
Not since 2004. No chip stating facts here. Western United is a focus group franchise not a football club. No team in the A League is any different.

Not that I care, its actually funny to watch what happens to these A League clubs anyway. The NSD will be for football, A League for comedy.

Not since 2004. No chip stating facts here. Western United is a focus group franchise not a football club. No team in the A League is any different.

Not that I care, its actually funny to watch what happens to these A League clubs anyway. The NSD will be for football, A League for comedy.

No, they most certainly have been since 2004. Again, you just don't know the facts. Stop making yourself look silly. If you want to hate on the A-League, at least check or double check your "facts". And you obviously missed the football at Hindmarsh tonight... that was football, in the A-League. Kid, you have a chip, and still haven't proved otherwise.

Western United is a focus group franchise not a football club. No team in the A League is any different.
Bit harsh. Perth Glory played in the NSL in the 90s and Brisbane Roar are a continuation of the Queensland Lions that were established in 1957. Even Adelaide United played in the NSL.

Are you aware of this or do you just not care because none of them are clubs based in Victoria or New South Wales?

Bit harsh. Perth Glory played in the NSL in the 90s and Brisbane Roar are a continuation of the Queensland Lions that were established in 1957. Even Adelaide United played in the NSL.

Are you aware of this or do you just not care because none of them are clubs based in Victoria or New South Wales?

I’ve seen the same crap for many years. Flogs with a chip on their shoulder because their club didn’t make the A-League cut. So they call the A-League clubs plastic, despite the fact that more than half the original A-League clubs were NSL clubs! Also despite the fact that said flogs clubs bid to join the A-League, which would make their own club “plastic”. It’s tiring correcting the ignorant and their “facts”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I think about it, the more I reckon it was a joint EOI because:
1. Those teams maybe didn't want to join/couldn't join yet
2. Football SA paid for the EOI fee 🤔
Could be something like Brisbane United, where they have partner clubs with football SA atleast managing it in the interim

Could be something like Brisbane United, where they have partner clubs with football SA atleast managing it in the interim
I think it will be similar to how the Reds were formed, backed by the SA Soccer Federation and heavily drawn from Adelaide City.
This time it's Football SA drawing on four clubs. This seems to work well in SA, like the Crows coming out of SANFL clubs too. Too small to make it on their own at a higher level, so they pool resources for the greater good.

FqggvXvacAE3L9b

Some interesting teams in that full list...

So we now have a WA team (go Co(ck)burn), a Northern NSW team that I've never heard of and Playford City Patriots, who I definitely didn't expect to go for it 🤔

EDIT: Ooh wait, no more West Adelaide in that joint EOI anymore 😮

Last edited:
Some interesting teams in that full list...

So we now have a WA team (go Co(ck)burn), a Northern NSW team that I've never heard of and Playford City Patriots, who I definitely didn't expect to go for it 🤔

EDIT: Ooh wait, no more West Adelaide in that joint EOI anymore 😮
Fraser Park is a suprise for me

My thoughts:
Apia
Cronulla
Wollongong
Marconi
Preston
South
Knights
Brisbane United
Gc
Sunshine coast
South Hobart
Football SA
Co(ck)burn
Valentine (due to being nnsw)

I think all 32 club who have applied for 2nd division should get a chance at winning a spot on the field.

Therefore I propose a 32 round season between the 2nd division applicants.

Top 16 clubs form the new 2nd division.

Bottom 16 clubs form the new 3rd division.

Then in season 2: A-league, 2nd division and 3rd division then play a promotion and regulation season. Whereby the top 2 clubs for 2nd division gets promoted to a-league; top 2 clubs in 3rd division gets promoted to 2nd division; and bottom 2 clubs in 2nd division gets relegated to 3rd division.

No relegation from a-league until after season 3, when there will be 16 teams.

I think all 32 club who have applied for 2nd division should get a chance at winning a spot on the field.

Therefore I propose a 32 round season between the 2nd division applicants.

Top 16 clubs form the new 2nd division.

Bottom 16 clubs form the new 3rd division.

Then in season 2: A-league, 2nd division and 3rd division then play a promotion and regulation season. Whereby the top 2 clubs for 2nd division gets promoted to a-league; top 2 clubs in 3rd division gets promoted to 2nd division; and bottom 2 clubs in 2nd division gets relegated to 3rd division.

No relegation from a-league until after season 3, when there will be 16 teams.
You're not considering that the FA would want an even spread of teams throughout the country for the NSD. You run a competition like the one you've suggested and it will be mostly made up of Sydney and Melbourne teams which really defeats the purpose of introducing a "National" Second Division.

You're not considering that the FA would want an even spread of teams throughout the country for the NSD. You run a competition like the one you've suggested and it will be mostly made up of Sydney and Melbourne teams which really defeats the purpose of introducing a "National" Second Division.
You also can pretty easily predict that of the 32 clubs that have put there hands up, 5-10 probably won't have the capacity to be involved, a couple probably will see what it actually will entail and will pull out. and we will probably see some bids merge to have greater ability.

Unfortunately Valentine and co(ck)burn probably won't have the ability to do it (unless they have alot of money behind them) , I think Fraser Park will be the same.

Not sure what the decision will be with Sydney United, due to the multiple incidents that have come to light over the past 6 months. They would have the money and facilities, but probably not a good choice.

You also can pretty easily predict that of the 32 clubs that have put there hands up, 5-10 probably won't have the capacity to be involved, a couple probably will see what it actually will entail and will pull out. and we will probably see some bids merge to have greater ability.

Unfortunately Valentine and co(ck)burn probably won't have the ability to do it (unless they have alot of money behind them) , I think Fraser Park will be the same.

Not sure what the decision will be with Sydney United, due to the multiple incidents that have come to light over the past 6 months. They would have the money and facilities, but probably not a good choice.
Yeah it'll be interesting to see how Football Australia decide which teams are suitable and which are not.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2nd Division Thread (proposal)

Back