The Adelaide "Crowbots"

Remove this Banner Ad

i didn't think it meant that.. i thought the term means there well disciplined or something.. doesn't make much sense to mean what you said.. though i could be wrong..

A very good team at executing a technical style of play but when it comes pure heart, grunt and need to deviate from a plan they come unstuck. Their handball strategy is a clear example.

i didn't think it meant that.. i thought the term means there well disciplined or something.. doesn't make much sense to mean what you said.. though i could be wrong..

Yeah, it means Adelaide stick to their game plan no matter what happens, they know what do do and how to do it and are very team oriented.

I don't think Adelaide went into meltdown, they gave as good as they got right up til the siren, it was a dumb mistake by Rutten that got us the win, but it easily could've went the other way if the umpire didn't pay it.

Yeah, it means Adelaide stick to their game plan no matter what happens, they know what do do and how to do it and are very team oriented.

I don't think Adelaide went into meltdown, they gave as good as they got right up til the siren, it was a dumb mistake by Rutten that got us the win, but it easily could've went the other way if the umpire didn't pay it.

Am I in some parallel universe - Collingwood supporters making sense.

Last night saw a great final between two very even sides and at the end of the day their is a winner and a loser. This time the winner is Collingwood.

By the way, great atmosphere last night.

It refers more to the way they played football under Craig a couple of years ago; highly disciplined, superior numbers around the ball, very mechanical and very little room for flair or risk taking.

Fair to say they don't play that way anymore, but the discipline and structure that they played with back then has probably underpinned their success this year and added weight to their much more attacking gameplan.

I don't think that they went into meltdown at all. Even when Collingwood were smashing them, their backline had a huge amount of poise and continued using their gameplan of handballing out of trouble and then running it out of defence.

Most of Collingwood's goals came from turnovers up the ground (usually by a poor kick to a leading forward) and then they just ran faster and harder and the Crows couldn't chase them down.

To be honest, I thought Adelaide looked like a better team the whole game, but Collingwood showed more heart and perhaps even more importantly, took more of their chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the term 'Crow-bots' refers to Adelaide's trademark disciplined, measured style of team play that eliminates flair, lair and improvisation, and makes sure they do just enough to get the win. Many described this style as 'boring' and 'robotic', as it seemed to take the heart and excitement out of the game, and made the players seem like they were mere androids carrying out a pre-programmed task.

I just think Adelaide didn't stick with what got them to the Semi Final and what got them into the lead in the game in the first place - and that's attacking at all costs.

Instead, they used their old tactic of getting a certain margin ahead, and then trying to manage the tempo for the rest of the game. This might work against poorer sides (their game against Melbourne earlier in the year was a perfect example of this style), but better sides aren't always going to allow you to dictate terms, especially when you try to go into shutdown mode mid-way through the 2nd quarter. Collingwood then came back, and Collingwood's renewed enthusiasm and defensive vigour then wouldn't allow the Crows to fully revert back to the attacking style that has worked so well for them in the past few weeks. The Crows tried to get that run going again later in the game, but a combination of skill errors and good defensive efforts from Collingwood seemed to stop them.

If Adelaide had just kept on attacking and really went for the kill, they probably would have won by 12 goals.

I think the term 'Crow-bots' refers to Adelaide's trademark disciplined, measured style of team play that eliminates flair, lair and improvisation, and makes sure they do just enough to get the win. Many described this style as 'boring' and 'robotic', as it seemed to take the heart and excitement out of the game, and made the players seem like they were mere androids carrying out a pre-programmed task.

I just think Adelaide didn't stick with what got them to the Semi Final and what got them into the lead in the game in the first place - and that's attacking at all costs.

Instead, they used their old tactic of getting a certain margin ahead, and then trying to manage the tempo for the rest of the game. This might work against poorer sides (their game against Melbourne earlier in the year was a perfect example of this style), but better sides aren't always going to allow you to dictate terms, especially when you try to go into shutdown mode mid-way through the 2nd quarter. Collingwood then came back, and Collingwood's renewed enthusiasm and defensive vigour then wouldn't allow the Crows to fully revert back to the attacking style that has worked so well for them in the past few weeks. The Crows tried to get that run going again later in the game, but a combination of skill errors and good defensive efforts from Collingwood seemed to stop them.

If Adelaide had just kept on attacking and really went for the kill, they probably would have won by 12 goals.

I don't think this was really the problem at all.

Yes we did go into our shells but not because we refused to attack - we simply didn't get our hands on the ball. We were being caught out of position and simply outplayed during the third quarter. It's hard to be attacking with the ball when you don't have the ball in the first place.

Our biggest issuer last night was our inability to punish Collingwood in the second quarter. We had all the play and did nothing for it. We constantly wasted chances and our forward entires were embarassing. We left the door open for Collingwood to come back and that's precisely what happened. Collingwood were always going to come back to some degree, but they should never have been in the position to win the game. We completely let ourselves down.

I don't think this was really the problem at all.

Yes we did go into our shells but not because we refused to attack - we simply didn't get our hands on the ball. We were being caught out of position and simply outplayed during the third quarter. It's hard to be attacking with the ball when you don't have the ball in the first place.

Our biggest issuer last night was our inability to punish Collingwood in the second quarter. We had all the play and did nothing for it. We constantly wasted chances and our forward entires were embarassing. We left the door open for Collingwood to come back and that's precisely what happened. Collingwood were always going to come back to some degree, but they should never have been in the position to win the game. We completely let ourselves down.

Don't get me wrong, based on the way things were going in the 1st quarter, I felt we were very fortunate to win.

IMO your Crows appeared to go into their shells a bit in the 2nd quarter, when they still had a bit of the ball. You had the footy, but weren't punishing us like you were in the 1st. This gave Collingwood a bit of a sniff just before half time, which they then went on with in the 3rd quarter, scoring more while denying the Crows possession. The Crows attacked more in the last quarter, but Collingwood stood firm and managed to get home somehow.

Crows are getting drilled today.

Where did most people have them on the ladder before the season started?

I seem to remember reading an article in The Advertiser at the start of the season that projected them to finish around 12th. Most other media had them finishing outside the 8 too, along with Brisbane and Essendon. Hawthorn were obviously expected to be right up there after Premiership success last year, and Richmond and Port were expected to be top 8 sides as well. So Adelaide have definitely exceded expectations, and full credit to them :thumbsu: They look to have a bright future, so I wouldn't be too disheartened if I were a Crows fan.

Good call/Bad call?

Adam White came up with this term. It means when the pressure is on them they go into meltdown.

Actually it referred to their discipline and the players almost interchangeable nature to replace each other without upsetting the game plan, like mechanical parts. It was about structure and adherence to it, not because of a 'meltdown'.

the crows are called that for a reason.....yes they are well drilled and all that but when it comes to the crunch they dont have a plan B.....that just neil craig for you.....he has his players playing that way and if they go outside the game plan they get dropped .simple......

living in adelaide and knowing some people who know him well ,when he was coaching norwood he was the same very stubborn and robotic...just the same way as he is coaching the crows......he wont change because thats just him.....plus he has robot mates in stephen trigg and john reid telling him that its all good is why the crows wont win the flag with those blokes....

5 goals up and they went defensive.....ill tell u now if geelong are 5 up against collingwood they wont slow down.....just my opinion but his finals record is poor and will be till he changes....

Remove this Banner Ad

The Adelaide "Crowbots"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back