The annual report

Remove this Banner Ad

This optimistic tome landed on my door step yesterday. Has their ever been a happier annual report, none of this we can do better stuff, but ultimately we lost.

A couple of things caught my notice. Firstly the new stand will take the ground's capacity to 30K, which is fantastic, however it also stated that the current capacity is 27,000. This is sort of true. Last time I was at KP, there were that many people there, however most of them were on the field. Off the field we couldn't have exceeded 23,000 for a few years, hence the capacity, after allowing for the wildly optimistic projections that have been prevalent in the past, we will probably have a capacity in the region of 25,000.

The second things that caught my eye was the photo of the bevy of un-named beauties at the Carji night. They were probably happy to be unidentified considering that they were labelled as 'ladies of the night'.

A couple of things caught my notice. Firstly the new stand will take the ground's capacity to 30K, which is fantastic, however it also stated that the current capacity is 27,000. This is sort of true. Last time I was at KP, there were that many people there, however most of them were on the field. Off the field we couldn't have exceeded 23,000 for a few years, hence the capacity, after allowing for the wildly optimistic projections that have been prevalent in the past, we will probably have a capacity in the region of 25,000.

I'm not sure why they keep quoting the capacity at 27,000 when clearly it is not. The round 21 Port game last year with only 24,331 is more of an indication of the true capacity. It's futher backed up with only 23,569 showing up to last weeks unveiling of the flag.
I do agree with you. Once the new stand is finished the capacity will be around 25,000-26,000.
And while on the subject. Any developements on the temp stand that was supposed to go under the old river end scoreboard. I thought it would've been ready by last weeks first home game.

If you think about it, it is pretty rare any ground actually reaches "capacity" for an AFL home and away fixture.
I don't have the figures with me now but when was the last time the traditional ANZAC day sellout at the G actually had a capacity crowd?
i seem to recall figures in the order of 91,92k
Same with showdowns in Adelaide and derby's in Perth.
"Sell outs" at the Telstra Dome such as Ess/Geel had only 50k ???

is it members/season ticket holders who just decide not to show up? maybe this is a constant issue at SS although i am a season ticket holder and it doesn't look like there are many/if any spare seats at any game there.
maybe it is just more of an issue for us because capacity is so small

This optimistic tome landed on my door step yesterday. Has their ever been a happier annual report, none of this we can do better stuff, but ultimately we lost.

The second things that caught my eye was the photo of the bevy of un-named beauties at the Carji night. They were probably happy to be unidentified considering that they were labelled as 'ladies of the night'.

What would be the minimum required to host finals there? 35,000? 40,000? I know the AFL has contract obligations with the MCC, but what about the future? In an 18 team comp there might be an expanded finals series and, hypothetically speaking, the 'G and Telstra Dome might already be occupied one day with a third Victorian game required...

What would be the minimum required to host finals there? 35,000? 40,000? I know the AFL has contract obligations with the MCC, but what about the future? In an 18 team comp there might be an expanded finals series and, hypothetically speaking, the 'G and Telstra Dome might already be occupied one day with a third Victorian game required...

they could actually host four finals on the first weekend in melbourne now with G hosting for example sat and sun arvo and dome hosting fri and sat night.

given that brisbane have host finals with a Gabba capacity of 38,000 you would think 40,000 should cover it if we hosted a non victorian team.
WC have hosted finals at the WACA years ago when they could only fit in 28,000 but those days are long gone now i think.

If you think about it, it is pretty rare any ground actually reaches "capacity" for an AFL home and away fixture.

Yeah good point. I was more thinking finals and in particular, last years prelim where 98,000 rocked up to the MCG.(98% capacity) Where as 24,000 at Kardinia Park is only around 88%. (if you believe the 27,000 capacity statement)

Just for the record. Last time we got anywhere near 27,000 at KP was in R9 2001 V's Richmond. (27,421). Going into the match we were 3 wins & 5 losses. Weren't exactly setting the world on fire there. And Richmond were the opposite. 5 wins & 3 losses. Maybe it's opposition supporters who just can't be bothered turning up anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

The annual report

Remove this Banner Ad

Back