The beatable Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloodstained Angel

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2000
Sydney, Nsw, Australia
Its Monday early afternoon and my first chance to visit BigFooty for a few days.

Well Essendon were beaten, I predicted Carlton wouldn't get within 7 goals but I was wrong, just like everybody else.

So how did the undermanned Blues do it ?

Easy, first of all they spent a bit of time watching videos of the bulldogs win against Essendon in Round 20 last season and also the Round 14 encounter against the Swans as well.

The pattern was there for all to see - man up, take Barnes out, stick with them , flood the backline and don't give them any opportunity to create that loose man across the centre that has been the key to their success.

And, once again, I have to say - in the packs the Bombers proved to be SOFT.

Yes thats right, SOFT like marshmallow is soft.

Hardwick, The Johnsons, Caracella, Branrad, Heffenan, Moorecroft, Mercuri etc etc evry single one of them fell to pieces as soon as the pressure around the packs was too much for them.

As soon as they couldn't get clean possession and set up their loose man, well, they fell to pieces.

Back to the drawing board Sheedy - your're boys just aren't hard enough at the ball I'm afraid

cheers

What the hell are you talking about??

Essendon has been one of, if not THE hardest team at the ball for the last 2 seasons now.

It is something that all the other clubs have commented on, when they have had to play Essendon. Carlton were more committed on Thursday night, but all teams have bad nights. I'm sure there will matches for the rest of the year where the Blues are not at their committed best. Every week is different.

Essendon like to release players away from the ball. It's the way to win footy matches. Malclom Blight has been a strong advocate of not having "too" many players going in and getting the ball, because you need players outside the packs to create the play and "do something" with the ball. Essendon are at their best when out skillful players can utilise their skill, and that is done best when they are in the open (obviously!!)

I'd back players like Hird, Lloyd, Hardwick, J Johnson, M Johnson, Solomon, Wallis, Mercuri (who i think is our most courageous player) against any of the hard players from the opposition.

Did you not watch any of last years footy? In actual fact, I don't believe any team is soft. I'm not silly enough to insinuate such rubbish, but I sure find it strange that a team whcih ad lost on 3 of their past 43 matches is labelled "soft", when the entire football world had lauded them for their "toughness"

You've seen the swannies play a couple of times this year

can they beat the bombers on their current form?

Originally posted by Bloodstained Angel:
And, once again, I have to say - in the packs the Bombers proved to be SOFT.

Yes thats right, SOFT like marshmallow is soft.

Is this observation based on the fact that we lost for the 4th time in 44 matches? How about you analyse our 40 wisn in that time? Or do the losses just stick in your head more?

I suppose you didn't think that Carlton was soft in the prelim last year when we out-muscled them. I suppose you didn;t think Carlton was soft in the Qualifying-final last year when Melbourne overcame a 21 point deficit to run all over them?

What about any team that loses a match. Hell, why not comment on the Bulldgos 72 point loss to Collingwood? Are they soft around the packs too? Why should I bother responding to this utter crap. Anyone can come on here after a team has lost and claim they are soft. Last year, the Blues were one of the best "one-percenter" teams in the AFL, but I wouldn't be stupid enough to label them soft just because of poor displays in the finals.

Originally posted by Dan25:
What the hell are you talking about??

Essendon has been one of, if not THE hardest team at the ball for the last 2 seasons now.

It is something that all the other clubs have commented on, when they have had to play Essendon. Carlton were more committed on Thursday night, but all teams have bad nights. I'm sure there will matches for the rest of the year where the Blues are not at their committed best. Every week is different.

Essendon like to release players away from the ball. It's the way to win footy matches. Malclom Blight has been a strong advocate of not having "too" many players going in and getting the ball, because you need players outside the packs to create the play and "do something" with the ball. Essendon are at their best when out skillful players can utilise their skill, and that is done best when they are in the open (obviously!!)

I'd back players like Hird, Lloyd, Hardwick, J Johnson, M Johnson, Solomon, Wallis, Mercuri (who i think is our most courageous player) against any of the hard players from the opposition.

Did you not watch any of last years footy? In actual fact, I don't believe any team is soft. I'm not silly enough to insinuate such rubbish, but I sure find it strange that a team whcih ad lost on 3 of their past 43 matches is labelled "soft", when the entire football world had lauded them for their "toughness"

Lloyd and courageous ?? I dont see any connection between these two words Dan ?? What is one courageous thing that Lloyd has done ?? Lets think about it. He pulled down Shannon Watt the other day......is that courageous ?? He has been reported for striking....is that courageous ?? I will be eagerly awaiting to hear all about Lloyds courageous acts ??

APA

Lloyd, desite what you may think, is quite a fearless player. A lot of jealous types say stuff like "pretty boy", and immature crap like that, but he will not hesiate to throw himself into packs. Watch him carefully when he plays. I don't say this about every Essendon player, only the ones who deserve it. Lloyd is a very courageous player. He won't drop his head and back out of a marking contest. He is VERY strong in the upper body and can compete one-on one with most other players.

As for our toughest player, i think James Hird, with the way he is able to win the ball in a one-on-one contest is our best. The guy is amazing. It's no coincidence that these two are regarded as our two best players as well.

Good analysis BSA!

There is only one point that is incorrect in it.

Carlton did not have to look at the Bulldogs tape from last year for clues. No, they would have pulled the tape from the week earlier! That is when Carlton played the Bombers in round 20.

The formula Carlton employed in that game was exactly the same as last Thursday.

When I watched that game last year, I thought to myself that Carlton had discovered Essendon's weakness. Apparently Terry Wallace also thought the same thing because he exploited it the following week!

In that round 20 game last year, I feel the only reason Essendon won comfortably in the end was because Carlton were down to 18 players by 3/4 time and basically ran out of puff.

What Carlton did expose was that Essendon are brittle when tight pressure is applied to them - when their time and space is cut down.

When you say Essendon are soft in this regard, I think you are right. They aren't anywere near as calm and composed as they usually are.

Interesting to watch the Sydney / Essendon game this week - this is a style of play that Sydney also use. Wonder if it will be exploited again by Rocket!

------------------
King of the Jungle - TigerFury.net -Independant Richmond Tigers website

Im not sure which tapes you are looking at Dan. The tapes i look at have Lloyd diving face first into the grass then looking at the umpire. The other footage i see is of an idiot throwing grass into the air. No doubt Lloyd is a good player but i wouldnt use the word courageous. Gavin Brown was courageous. Brett Ratten is a courageous player. Matthew Lloyd isnt.

APA

Originally posted by CJH:

What Carlton did expose was that Essendon are brittle when tight pressure is applied to them - when their time and space is cut down.

Tell me a club that plays well when their time and space is cut down! Jesus,

We prevented Carlton from having time and space in the Preliminary final last year and beat then easily. We matched them in the one-percenters.

How about I analyse all of Richmond's losses over rhe last 2 years. I think you will find they (like any team) are susceptible when pressure is applied.

Essendon have been under pressure numerous times over their last 44 matches, and have only lost 4 times. What about all the times they responded to the pressure and won? What about all the times when they pressurized the opposition and forced mistakes?

What you are basically saying is that to beat Essendon, you need to apply pressure. Well, duh!! That's the way to play footy, in fact it always has been. The way to beat Carlton is to apply pressure, the way to beat Sydney is to apply pressure, the way to beat the Demons is to apply pressure etc etc.

The way to beat us, is the same way to beat Carlton, or any other team. Apply pressure, force them to make mistakes, and deny them time and space.

Normally I wouldnt be defending Dan, but I find it a bit hard to point the finger at Essendon regarding lack of endeavour at the footy.Lloyd,Hird and Mercuri are brave players who do run against the flight of the ball to take marks, its true that the Essendon onballers prefer the ball in the open but that doesnt make them scared.Carlton just have more players who love the close in pack style footy, even some of the younger players like hulme,culpitt and freeborn are made for that style of game. Apart from the Johnsons and maybe Hardwick the essendon boys prefer to use their running ability and footskills to win them their games..you can hardly bag a team with such skill and cohesion and who give you the results they do.Essendon may have lost but they didnt lose any respect from Carlton players or supporters..they are still the yardstick of the AFL and the team to beat.

Sticks,

Thankyou. It is so annoying to have people come on here saying that the way to beat the Bombers is to play the tight, tough and close. "They don't like it this way" is what they say. Tell me a team that does like it when the opposition plays tight, tough and close! The whole idea is to deny your opponents time and space. Essendon - who had the best defence n the comp last year - did this and denied time and space to most oppositon teams.

The problem is, when the Bombers lose a game, we get all these know-it-alls come on here and spout their rubbish. They all come on here and say how the oppositon (in this case Carlton) keep it tight and tough and Essendon lost, so that must be the secret of success. Well, thats what the Bombers did to Carlton in the 2000 preliminary (i.e the one-percentere). It works both ways. Every team in the comp can be beaten by applying pressure. Essendon is no different to any other team, exfept that they are usually skillful and hard enough to win despite this. They weren't good enough on Thursday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Essendon is so soft what does that say about all the other teams? 2 losses in how many games. Proves the others are softer and STUPID. See you at Sydney Bloodnut.

Dan25

I'd be interested to know who you think might bear the brunt of the loss by the Dons. With Misiti out there won't be many changes but I'd assume there will be a couple (is Wallis fit?) The major concern for the Dons would be the form of Barnes and Alessio - Porter dispatched both of these blokes with little support (and in a week where Alessio would have liked to have shown more...)

Originally posted by JLC:
Im not sure which tapes you are looking at Dan. The tapes i look at have Lloyd diving face first into the grass then looking at the umpire. The other footage i see is of an idiot throwing grass into the air. No doubt Lloyd is a good player but i wouldnt use the word courageous. Gavin Brown was courageous. Brett Ratten is a courageous player. Matthew Lloyd isnt.

APA
Do we give a shit what you think? No, stick to the banners idiot.

You stick to Rocca . Not hard just follow the tank marks ( he's the slow fat one)

Sheedy v Eade ( the floodmeister ). I reckon Sydney will win. The Bombers' weaknesses last Thursday - ruck, getting the hard ball, coping with the flood/rebound - are Sydney's strengths. The loss of Misiti was the significant moment as no one stepped up to fill his role.

As Prince once said ' ..party like it's 1999'. Love that Prelim. final feeling !

BSA is very correct in what he says.

When you go hard at the ball Essendon back off. But that is much easier said than done.

The reason no side has really gone hard at Essendon over the last 2 years is because of the intimidation factor.

No, its not a physical intimidation of Essendon, its reputation type of intimidation.

Every side respects Essendon because they are good, but when you give a side (or player) to much respect and don't go hard at them, they run all over you.

When you go into a game agaisnt Essendon, you must respect them for the brilliant side they are, but you musn't give them so much respect that you start thinking you're almost unworthy of beating such a good team, which is what i think a lot of teams are doing.

On Thursday Night, Carlton showed them enough respect to say "You're a good side, but we wanna win" they didn't show them so much respect that it said "You're so a great side, we're not worthy of beating you, so you can run all over us."

Go hard at the ball, tighten up your players, stick to a man and give it too him all day, and you'll maximise your chances of beating this team - just like Carlton did on Thursday night.

------------------
Join the big footy tipping competition at Footy Tips
Join the BigFooty Cricket Cup
visit the Easts Cricket Club
The ulitimate statistics reference

CJH,
If Carlton had found Essendons weakness in round 20 last year then surely they decided to save that knowledge for use in round 3 the follwing year, rather than exploit that weakness in the prelim final a month later.

what a load of rot.
rolleyes.gif

BSA,
You absolute fisherman you. I dont think you believe a word of what you wrote there.

It will interesting to watch friday nights game for a number of reasons- huge sydney crowd, two top quality sides (although one of them are a group of hard men, the other uncourageous & soft)- but for the first time in a long time, ill be watching without being supremely confident of victory.

I almost forgot what that felt like.
biggrin.gif

Essendon can't be described as soft, however Carlton were certainly harder at the ball this week.

I thought Essendon really missed Misiti, as he is the one who wins a lot of hard ball for them. After he went off, they didn't seem to win much of it.

Anyway, I'm hanging out for Friday night it should be HUGE.

Originally posted by Bloodstained Angel:
Hardwick, The Johnsons, Caracella, Branrad, Heffenan, Moorecroft, Mercuri etc etc evry single one of them fell to pieces as soon as the pressure around the packs was too much for them.
cheers

hardwick and the johnsons were brilliant and kept us in the game
your a bit hard on heffernan, bit hard to be hard at the ball when your sitting in the grand stand
im not sure who branrad and moorecroft are
but paul barnard was good, came on and kicked a couple of good goals that swang the game essendons way

Originally posted by Arch:
CJH,
If Carlton had found Essendons weakness in round 20 last year then surely they decided to save that knowledge for use in round 3 the follwing year, rather than exploit that weakness in the prelim final a month later.

what a load of rot.
rolleyes.gif

This is not some new fangled tactic that Carlton are using. This is essentially the same style of play that got them through 1995. They did try it on in the Prelim final last year. Just didn't work too well.

------------------
King of the Jungle - TigerFury.net -Independant Richmond Tigers website

Love your work BSA - but Young Master Arch is strong with the Force and not easily swayed to the dark side!!

SS11 and Blue Boy - love it when you Carlton and Collingwood supporters go head to head to see who know least about anything let along footy (ps. no offence ODN etc)

I think three games this week will speak volumes for the season to come:

Ess V Syd - more from Syd's viewpoint (have they really arrived) than Essendon - bit of a understrength team particularly with Hird short of a gallop. Should be very interesting. My pre-season tips say Sydney will be very hard to beat.

Coll V Rich - which of these dinos has arrived and is seriously a threat (I say - as per pre-season predications: the latter)

and

Hawthorn v Melb - ditto re: the hawks...

Remove this Banner Ad

The beatable Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back