Autopsy Bombers v Swans - AFL Rd 23, 2024 - Fri August 16th 7:40pm - (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

From The Age this morning...

Though disappointed not to be have played, Heppell, according to multiple club sources speaking on the condition of anonymity, handled his non-selection with grace and fully understood why Scott left him out of the final 23. A club source also strongly rejected a report players were unhappy Heppell was not picked, saying leaders believed there was nothing to the claim.

1723939223305.png

Scott and Heppel discussed his inclusion for a farewell game in Melbourne, Heppel openly said he did not want to take the spot of another player when he was not deserving of it. That is what Heppel and Scott discussed and ended up agreeing on was the best outcome whilst Essendon were still in it mathematically.

either let it go and stop quoting me on this, or if you want to keep discussing it OK, leave me out of it. Have told you several times now how it happened. Either accept it or don't. Move on regardless.

Last edited:
Sorry man, I was just stirring.

FWIW, I 100% agree with the decision to not play Heppell (based on him not being in their best team).

I think it's borderline outrageous that people are suggesting that he should have been gifted a game for the romance of it - when their freakin' season was on the line!

I think that's an extraordinary criticism on a few levels.

1) How on earth could you NOT select your best team when your season is on the line? It would be negligent and irresponsible not to.

2) How could you leave someone out who deserves their spot, in such a crucial game? How would you look them in the eye and justify it to them? How would they react to it?

3) Everyone is on Essendon's case to move forward and stop living in the past. And rightly so. Whilst Heppell isn't necessarily in the Sheedy and Dodoro type past, he's definitely a throwback to horrible times at the club. It's not his fault directly - but he's definitely from an era that the club needs to get the hell away from. They need to stop with the romance and nostalgia of yesteryear and leave their past behind.
To sacrifice their best chance of winning to be all emotional and nostalgic for the past - would be completely counter productive to what they need to.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Bombers v Swans - AFL Rd 23, 2024 - Fri August 16th 7:40pm - (Marvel)

Back