The best midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

According to Chumpion Data yes.

The current premiers are 7th.....or was it 11th!:think:

You guys are a shoe in for the flag if all that was needed was good stats.;):rolleyes:
I'm just trying to figure out if we are using Champion Data for everything or only when it suits the argument.

Based off the last two seasons of footy, Beams walks into the club as our best midfielder. He’s not just another mid, he’s arguably our best player. Without playing a game, people have quickly forgotten just how highly they rated him when he was at Brisbane.

Agree. Most of the other expected leading teams are known quantities. Tigers have a fantastic midfield but are all known. Dees have a wild card in their youth and their further development this year. No guarantees they will further develop.

Beams on the other hand is an out and out gun and will greatly improve the Pies midfield. Mids depth is critical these days and the Pies have it in spades for 19.

Agree. Most of the other expected leading teams are known quantities. Tigers have a fantastic midfield but are all known. Dees have a wild card in their youth and their further development this year. No guarantees they will further develop.

Beams on the other hand is an out and out gun and will greatly improve the Pies midfield. Mids depth is critical these days and the Pies have it in spades for 19.
Core midfield of Viney (24), Brayshaw (23), Harmes (23), Petracca (23) and Oliver (21).

It’s a brave man that bets against that group as a collective developing further this season.

Core midfield of Viney (24), Brayshaw (23), Harmes (23), Petracca (23) and Oliver (21).

It’s a brave man that bets against that group as a collective developing further this season.

It is a strong young midfield group but there are still wildcards around the group. Can Harmes improve any more as a tagger than where he is already at? Taggers can play a key role but the last decade has shown very few taggers standout as key to their teams. Back in the Kirkand Ling years sure. Game plans have evolved though so whilst they are role players, match winners are rare. Petracca...yeah has a lot of upside. Will he get there given his propensity to be a show pony? Quite possibly he will mature.

Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw....tremendous mids.

It is a strong young midfield group but there are still wildcards around the group. Can Harmes improve any more as a tagger than where he is already at? Taggers can play a key role but the last decade has shown very few taggers standout as key to their teams. Back in the Kirkand Ling years sure. Game plans have evolved though so whilst they are role players, match winners are rare. Petracca...yeah has a lot of upside. Will he get there given his propensity to be a show pony? Quite possibly he will mature.

I'm not sure the Demons would or should be keen on tagging opposition mids. They've got a group that can go head to head with the best and back themselves to get first hands on the ball.

I don’t think many supporters hand to heart predicted Harmes to be where he’s at now, so who can say exactly what his ceiling is. He gets pigeonholed as a tagger but he can be quite a damaging player offensively. When he kept Josh Kelly to 19 touches towards the end of the year he had 29 himself along with 6 clearances and a goal. Over the four previous matches he was averaging 26 disposals and a goal a game. The scope for improvement perhaps isn’t as great as the others but it’s definitely there.

I don’t think many supporters hand to heart predicted Harmes to be where he’s at now, so who can say exactly what his ceiling is. He gets pigeonholed as a tagger but he can be quite a damaging player offensively. When he kept Josh Kelly to 19 touches towards the end of the year he had 29 himself along with 6 clearances and a goal. Over the four previous matches he was averaging 26 disposals and a goal a game. The scope for improvement perhaps isn’t as great as the others but it’s definitely there.

Admittedly I haven't seen much of him so he could well be a decent offensive weapon. Of all the teams last year, I most feared the Dees given contested/ clearance numbers compared to the Tiges. Can't wait to see how this year plays out with the new rule changes. Something tells me Gawn (who we didnt mention) will get even better.

Admittedly I haven't seen much of him so he could well be a decent offensive weapon. Of all the teams last year, I most feared the Dees given contested/ clearance numbers compared to the Tiges. Can't wait to see how this year plays out with the new rule changes. Something tells me Gawn (who we didnt mention) will get even better.
I may have rose coloured glasses but I absolutely agree on Gawn. We haven’t seen his best footy yet.

Um no Im not.

Pumping up my team using stats is not what Im doing. Pointing out the flaws in using stats is what Im doing.

No, you're using one part of Champion Data to say we have an easy draw but you dispute Champion Data saying we have the best list.

You're just as guilty of what you're accusing others of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne's midfield is definitely top 2 but when rating individual players stats I'd say Gawn is inflating their numbers.

For example Jack Viney would come back to the pack as a centre clearance midfielder without Gawn's influence.

Collingwood starting mid field pendles Adams beams grundy , 2nd string sidebottom sier trelaour grundy , 3rd string vacoe degoey thomas grundy

what about your teams ??

Collingwood starting mid field pendles Adams beams grundy , 2nd string sidebottom sier trelaour grundy , 3rd string vacoe degoey thomas grundy

what about your teams ??
The third isn't worth mentioning, because you'll never see it.

Your best six or seven mids are really the only ones ever worth mentioning. It's your best 4 or 5 that dictate the results of games of footy.

what about your teams ??
Would have them comfortably behind Melbourne and I’d say WCE’s midfield is potentially stronger given they accounted for Collingwood three times throughout the year and once without their star ruckman and best midfielder.

Adding Beams looks good on paper, but it will mean you will have to shoehorn some midfielders in their secondary positions. Not sure he will improve the Pies one bit to be honest. I thought they had the perfect balance last season, now it’s just overly stacked in there and adding another one paced inside mid will be detrimental to their team overall.

Harmes tagged the last 9 games of the year. In those 9 games he averaged 25 disposals and kicked 7 goals.

It's hard to know whether he has much improvement left, although he has trained as a fulltime stoppage player over summer, which he wouldn't have done before.

Would have them comfortably behind Melbourne and I’d say WCE’s midfield is potentially stronger given they accounted for Collingwood three times throughout the year and once without their star ruckman and best midfielder.

Adding Beams looks good on paper, but it will mean you will have to shoehorn some midfielders in their secondary positions. Not sure he will improve the Pies one bit to be honest. I thought they had the perfect balance last season, now it’s just overly stacked in there and adding another one paced inside mid will be detrimental to their team overall.
more than happy to have this problem

Remove this Banner Ad

The best midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back