Universal Love The Billy Hartung Bandwagon thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why I said I'm glad the match committee are not blinded by emotion and pick the best 22 regardless. Players are different to fans - most of our players who played with Floglin probably don't bare the slightest of grudges. I don't want him within an inch of the club ever again. You'll probably find Hill has plenty of mates in the side who'd feel pretty dirty if he was dropped for spiteful reasons. Decisions like that can slowly erode a culture inside of a football club.

Not disagreeing with you one bit. There is no doubt the Hill and Buddy situations differ a fair bit. Hill has been honest.

Part of me says if a player is leaving he is out. However, if I was coach I would pick Hill.:huh: Not an ideal situation but the club has handled it maturely no doubt. Can understand why people would feel conflicted or have mixed feelings about these situations.

Buddy was one foot out the door and robbed someone loyal of a GF berth.

This thinking, whilst pandering to some non-existant romantic nostalgia, will not win you premierships - infact it will encourage mediocrity.

You want loyalty - get a dog.

You want premierships - accept that it is dog eat dog and you do not ever cut off your nose to spite your face for any reason.

I'm not sure if anyone saw him on Marngrook earlier.
I have found a new love for Billy purely from just watching him then. Seeing him getting emotional about missing out on last year's Grand Final breaks my heart. He's showed he really wants to play for Hawthorn.
How on earth is Billy missing out on a spot in the team when there is someone who doesn't even want to play for Hawthorn taking his spot.
If Hill doesn't want to be here, goodbye and don't let the door hit on the way out. Give Bill a chance.
It's clear you're not a fan of Hill but as it stands he is in front of Billy and will likely give us a better chance at the flag. He shouldn't be begrudged for wanting to go home to his family, he's been open with us about it and is still giving it he's all.

Last edited:

Never read the highlighted bit!

Part of me says if a player is leaving he is out. However, if I was coach I would pick Hill.:huh: Not an ideal situation but the club has handled it maturely no doubt. Can understand why people would feel conflicted or have mixed feelings about these situations.

Buddy was one foot out the door and robbed someone loyal of a GF berth.
Buddy didn't rob anyone of a grand final or a flag. He was as much apart of that 2013 side as anyone else. Just because he left afterwards doesn't mean he didn't deserve his place in the side. In the 2013 season he was a Hawthorn player.

Buddy didn't rob anyone of a grand final or a flag. He was as much apart of that 2013 side as anyone else. Just because he left afterwards doesn't mean he didn't deserve his place in the side. In the 2013 season he was a Hawthorn player.
I can understand Hill leaving but Buddy's leaving for reasons given still shits me as well as the reasons not given (Davo23 nailed this in a previous
post about Buddy's "social life"). At least we didn't need to replace Buddy which freed up a lot of cash (Frawley) and Hill is definitely replaceable
with Billy Hartung who will only get better.

I don't understand what you mean by this "culture".

Not treating our players like cattle.

Giving time off training for the veterans to spend some time with family. Giving interstate kids opportunity to spend some time back home after an interstate game. Helping players move and facilitating moves to players wanting to join even if it means we may give up overs.

AKA being a place players actually want to play at.

Giving time off training for the veterans to spend some time with family. Giving interstate kids opportunity to spend some time back home after an interstate game. Helping players move and facilitating moves to players wanting to join even if it means we may give up overs.

This is true but why did the club fail with Buddy? It was general knowledge with his drug taking. Maybe the club tried or even turned a blind
eye, I don't know. If it was a contracted Box Hill player he would most likely have got the boot.

Agree 100%. Players knowing that we will help them to move if things don't workout is a big factor in luring players.

This is true but why did the club fail with Buddy? It was general knowledge with his drug taking. Maybe the club tried or even turned a blind
eye, I don't know. If it was a contracted Box Hill player he would most likely have got the boot.

If you think Floglin was/is the only player doing some recreational drugs in his spare time then I have this bridge you might like to buy.

If you think Floglin was/is the only player doing some recreational drugs in his spare time then I have this bridge you might like to buy.
Buddy was the only Hawk that I at least kept hearing stories about, if you know others let me know and I'll add them to the list.
My post was a knock on Hawthorn, not Buddy - if you care to read over it again.

Buddy was the only Hawk that I at least kept hearing stories about, if you know others let me know and I'll add them to the list.
My post was a knock on Hawthorn, not Buddy - if you care to read over it again.

I know you were knocking the club as a whole. The scuttlebutt that I heard when that 'list' went around about Collingwood before the season is that we featured prominently on it as well, and with a larger number of players than Collingwood. If you think Floglin is/was the only one doing some party drugs from time to time then you're a tad naive.

I am sure the Hawks exercise a duty of care if a player is having issues with substance abuse. I dare say all clubs have systems for that. That said, I am sure the club also deals with the reality that there would be a fair portion of players who dabble with things - particularly in the off-season. Being that our players aren't driving vehicles or operating heavy machinery - unless the usage gets to a problematic level - I couldn't give a toss what players do socially so long as they don't hurt others.

Have no doubt that the rumours around Judas and his penchant for the substances were true. Wasn't affecting his on-field performance. Hawthorn had a minder for the guy - and never once did any hard evidence of usage get out to the press. For all we know, he did it once or twice and never tested positive to anything. There is only hearsay to the contrary of that - no actual strikes recorded that anyone has ever admitted. So if anything ever did occur - I dare say the club managed it well.

My view is that unfortunately drugs were a big problem for Buddy, hence his melt down in Sydney and I reckon at least 10-15% of Hawk players
are on something. I hope they get off it or at least control their use but it can be a bad recipe - young guys with a lot of money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've veered off topic a bit. Let's keep the discussion about Hill to the thread dedicated to him and the discussion about Franklin to the thread dedicated to him.

For those that need reminding, this is a thread for Hartung.

It won't work with everyone. But it works with 95% of our players. Who else have we had that was best 22 leave?

I hope Billy comes up good from his ankle injury and puts his best foot forward for the rest of the season. He is going to be a big part of our future at the club. Has shown plenty and will only get better with more experience
named on the wing at box hill and wasn't mentioned in the injury report so looks good to go

named on the wing at box hill and wasn't mentioned in the injury report so looks good to go

Definitely need Billy to come good - he will be valuable should Hill leave us. Hoping that a demotion to Box Hill spurs him on rather than discourages him. If (dear fate - I know this is a big if - I am not trying to tempt you!) we were to play another grand final without him I hope it wouldn't sting him too much. He has the tools - hopefully this experience steels his resolve.

We've veered off topic a bit. Let's keep the discussion about Hill to the thread dedicated to him and the discussion about Franklin to the thread dedicated to him.

For those that need reminding, this is a thread for Hartung.

I thought this was a thread for Hill???

Billy is not a Hill replacement. I still think he has a lot to learn, although I am not saying that he is not worth persevering with, that's for sure.

Don't understand. Both elite runners, outside players, relatively neat skills but not great at contested footy.

Suckers (borderline), Hill, but very very few over the years.

Now compare it to who we've picked up over the years and I'd say our culture of treating our players well is working for us.

It's a simple thought. A person who loves something or being somewhere will put in a lot more work than someone who doesn't. It's why armies for almost the entirety of human history have focused on boosting the morale of their soldiers. It's why nationalist propaganda was such a massive tool used by all nations in the World War Era to try and create a bond between citizen and nation.

Treat people well and they will do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back