Discussion The Blockbuster: Round 12 vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering he was subbed off, Sippos in a full game:
Got less disposals, less contested disposals, made less tackles, less 1%'s and kicked the same score. He's also played enough games now, that he could take a rest if necessary.
ALL of the players should get an easier run against the Bulldogs though ( I hope ).
Fine, and how did his direct opponent do?

danger game for sure, we need to win to keep season alive but not to get complacent just because wer expected to win. need to remind the comp we are regaining form for the last 2 1/2 games (barring the 2nd half against the pies) and if we can win this we cna go into geelong game with some confidence.

we need to win because the bulldogs are losing a lot worse than we are.

We've had two "bad losses" this year IMO. The filth and the bummers.
The others have not been annihilations, but the losses by the dogs have been smashings.
For that reason at least we need to win.

Not good news but not totally unexpected, Montagna got through the game against the Pies but still didn't look right.

Robert Walls actually had a crack at Montagna on OWAT for missing a tackle on Leon Davis in the last quarter. It may have been a soft effort but he was clearly hampered by his knee and trying to avoid heavy contact for fear of injuring it further, yet Walls never mentioned that.

As I said before, Ledger should get a full game as he plays a similar pacy outside role to Montagna. Wouldn't mind seeing Gram come back in as well despite the fact he may not be in great form, just to give us a bit more pace and goal kicking ability that we lose with Montagna out.

Walsh in for a midfielder?? Surely he's pulling our leg. Raph or Smith would have to come in for Joey.

No, as of this week (or last) every team can elevate a rookie without putting anyone on LTI or anything, and as long as they stay uner the TPP.

So Arch can stay up and Cripps maybe put onto list for someone else to come up.

Thanks brother. I always struggle with the finer points of the rookie list.

Walsh in for a midfielder?? Surely he's pulling our leg. Raph or Smith would have to come in for Joey.

Hmmm, very interesting.

another defender for a midfielder. we have more defenders then anything else, and still can't keep their score down.

But that's what we need against the Doggies, rite guys? A tall defender in for a quick mid?

Hope to see Ledger and Simpkin get more of a game.

Maybe:

Outs: Joey Polo
In: Walsh and Smith/Gram/Raph

Although I think our midfield would be rather undermanned with both of those outs. Polo stays in for mine. But can't really think of who else to drop? Siposs need a rest?

Cant see us dropping Polo with Joey missing. If anything surely a forward should be coming in rather then a defender if only the one change was to happen? Or would that just be common sense ;)

Cant see us dropping Polo with Joey missing. If anything surely a forward should be coming in rather then a defender if only the one change was to happen? Or would that just be common sense ;)

Johnson is the only other forward we have (excluding kosi)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know our form hasn't been great but our recent form has been better than the Dogs.

By no means a guaranteed win but if we play like we did against Freo and the first half against Collingwood then we should get over the line.

Can't argue with that, just didn't want us to get ahead of ourselves and penning this game in. Bulldogs definitely having just as poor a season as us, but they could be a bit like us before facing Melbourne. I'm sure they'd take the scrappiest of wins at this stage

But that's what we need against the Doggies, rite guys? A tall defender in for a quick mid?

Hope to see Ledger and Simpkin get more of a game.

Maybe:

Outs: Joey Polo
In: Walsh and Smith/Gram/Raph

Although I think our midfield would be rather undermanned with both of those outs. Polo stays in for mine. But can't really think of who else to drop? Siposs need a rest?

Not sure we need any extra tall defenders. To play against who? Is Hall playing?

I think we need more forward targets, not less, so Siposs kind of has to stay, unless we mess with structures. I'm not in favour of messing there, we haven't got the form to. Or maybe we haven't got the form not to? :confused:

Gram was ordinary for Sandy, so doubt he will come in. Raph has reportedly been good for Sandy for a couple of weeks, so wouldn't surprise if he came in (I don't want him in, just saying it wouldn't surprise)

Any respect I had for Dawson is quickly dissipating ... too easy to beat one on one. To say that "he's ok when he gets support from Gwilt, Fisher and Gilbert" is underselling the issue. I myself would be ok at FB if I was getting support from Gwilt, Fisher and Gilbert. He needs to bulk up. I'd take Merrett from Brissy (after his back heals!) over Dawson any day of the week

I'd like to see Lynch return

First line was somewhat sarcastic in my last post, seems my sarcasm online replicates my sarcasm IRL :p

Lynch would be a good inclusion too.

Oh well, one thing we've learnt this year is that Thursday afternoons are always exciting and somewhat difficult to guess. Sadly in stark contrast to 2009...

Famous last words, they will come out smoking after their display last week, no game should ever be looked at as a precentage booster, you will only look like a fool if you lose.

From what I have seen at VFL level, only two who desreve a game are Walsh and Raph, have been very good every week. Surely we can't send Tommy back to Ireland without giving him 6-8 weeks to show what he has.
Yikes, hope I didn't blow my cover at the press conferance today!

First line was somewhat sarcastic in my last post, seems my sarcasm online replicates my sarcasm IRL :p

Lynch would be a good inclusion too.

Oh well, one thing we've learnt this year is that Thursday afternoons are always exciting and somewhat difficult to guess. Sadly in stark contrast to 2009...

at least we have something to talk about during the week before thursday afternoons

another defender for a midfielder. we have more defenders then anything else, and still can't keep their score down.

Jones shut out Thomas, Dempster shut out Swan flash back a week and Gilbert & Chips did jobs in the midfield as well in a pseudo ruck rover possie of old. What do these men all have in common?

A: They are classed as defenders (outside of Jones) 2 of them are AA defenders.

Bringing in Walsh (ie another defender for a midfielder) allows these types of plays without robbing the back 6 of its integrity, gone are the days when it's someone like SOS on Lockett and a barren 50 with everyone front on ready for a spill, these days it's 3v1's at the point of contact or backmen being outperformed with all the conventions leading forwards get. So Walsh in allows that kind of situation whilst allowing for Gilbo & Chips to play more up the field without the immediate impact that Dawson gets pantsed 1 out cause he's sitting goal side and the ball is heading towards the pockets, as that is a situation where the third man comes in and spikes it towards the line to kill it.

Anyway, I have relatives around so I need to be short (woe is I...)

Gram has not earned it and has been squibbing far too often.
Raph seems to enjoy playing against the dogs but arguably he's deph and almost waiting for a delisting.
Smith fell off the face of the planet as far as we know so why fast track him over others?

We need to throw in as many goal kickers as we can.

We've made do being short on quality midfielders before. What we can't do without is players that are willing to work hard inside 50m to create oppotunity. Cripps was helping and Montagna kicking them from the pocket was a bonus.

Heyne, Darch, Stanley, Winmar.

I'm sick of calling for Alias to get games. He's had a few now and he knows what is expected and I'll trust the team to manage his development well.

[YOUTUBE]UXJKh8t79to[/YOUTUBE]

Jones shut out Thomas, Dempster shut out Swan flash back a week and Gilbert & Chips did jobs in the midfield as well in a pseudo ruck rover possie of old. What do these men all have in common?

A: They are classed as defenders (outside of Jones) 2 of them are AA defenders.

Bringing in Walsh (ie another defender for a midfielder) allows these types of plays without robbing the back 6 of its integrity, gone are the days when it's someone like SOS on Lockett and a barren 50 with everyone front on ready for a spill, these days it's 3v1's at the point of contact or backmen being outperformed with all the conventions leading forwards get. So Walsh in allows that kind of situation whilst allowing for Gilbo & Chips to play more up the field without the immediate impact that Dawson gets pantsed 1 out cause he's sitting goal side and the ball is heading towards the pockets, as that is a situation where the third man comes in and spikes it towards the line to kill it.

Anyway, I have relatives around so I need to be short (woe is I...)

Gram has not earned it and has been squibbing far too often.
Raph seems to enjoy playing against the dogs but arguably he's deph and almost waiting for a delisting.
Smith fell off the face of the planet as far as we know so why fast track him over others?

Didnt play against Williamstown.
Named among the best against Box Hill ( 21 p ), Didnt play against Werribee ( injury ), Named among the best against Casey. Hardly off the face of the planet.

But yeah , Tom Walsh could probably do Grammy's run out of the back line and bomb it long thing. :D

Didnt play against Williamstown.
Named among the best against Box Hill ( 21 p ), Didnt play against Werribee ( injury ), Named among the best against Casey. Hardly off the face of the planet.

But yeah , Tom Walsh could probably do Grammy's run out of the back line and bomb it long thing. :D

Well I meant more from his time between the call up and reappearing for Sandy than his past couple games, played what last in round 6 and there's been no account from then until round 9ish?

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion The Blockbuster: Round 12 vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back