Preview The breakout man

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually he was effectively tagged in all his last 7 games last year. Clearly other coaches and strategist and opposition analysis see plenty in him to give him this tag. At the time Goddard was playing in all these games. Stanton the same. Watson played in half and wasnt tagged.

However i do sort of agree that looking at his stats the tag didnt seem to stop him finding the pill from the small sample size. However he probably becomes a low 20 disposal 20-23 instead of a 25-28 disposal game player from looking at it.

Teams are known to want to run H2H with Goddard because of his pretty ordinary past in running 2 ways and defending when his team doesnt have the pill. Im not sure if that improved with us his new club but was evident at the saints.

I think Heppells creativity and setting up of play is the reason he copped a tag in all of his last 7 games. Watson is probably a guy that you no longer tag because hes hard to effect as much as others. Id assume Zacka will cop plenty of tags next year certainly midseason-late.

1/2/3. Heppell, Stanton, Zacka
4. Watson
5. Goddard

for me.

Dempsey wouldve probably averaged that if you take away his injury affected games Yoda_ Hes already at that level for me.

Heppells clearly damaging enough to get tagged. It happened last year, let alone this year. He got tagged in his last 3 games of the AFL season that he played in Plus had Lewis spend fair chunks on him the game before that and then got a very good tagger from GWS in Whiley who didnt know what a footy looked like. He then also got the Kornes tag from port only a few rounds before. Clubs clearly see him as a very damaging player hes probably our number one tagged player next year, certainly according to his last 7 games where effectively he had someone with him in 6 of those games. Due to Heppell being predominantly outside hes a little easier to tag then say a Watson, or have an effect on.

I know Heppell got tagged and I couldn't believe it. I suppose the theory is that if you think you can beat a ball magnet/inside mid it is simply worth doing.

As for Heppell being damaging, he has no pace, no kicking penetration (and no accuracy over distance due to the current lack of penetration) and is hardly the player that it driving EFC forward at stoppages.

I've got all the respect in the world for his game but Heppell is still just a neat, really smart undersized kid (not that he should be anything more at this stage). I don't see why you'd bother tagging that sort of player especially when Zaharakis, Goddard and Stanton are the ball carriers/users.

I know Heppell got tagged and I couldn't believe it. I suppose the theory is that if you think you can beat a ball magnet/inside mid it is simply worth doing.

As for Heppell being damaging, he has no pace, no kicking penetration (and no accuracy over distance due to the current lack of penetration) and is hardly the player that it driving EFC forward at stoppages.

I've got all the respect in the world for his game but Heppell is still just a neat, really smart undersized kid (not that he should be anything more at this stage). I don't see why you'd bother tagging that sort of player especially when Zaharakis, Goddard and Stanton are the ball carriers/users.

I think its due to his impact around stoppages. From what i see he is starting to become very effective through the clearance area. He runs to smart positions on field in areas that can start the set up of play. Hes an effective link man at times but its his ability to be creative, find space and time and put team mates in to similar space field positions. However i feel its also due to the thought from the opposition to think that a tag would really affect him similar to Gaff. Clubs dont tag the player they think is the 'best opposition player/midfielder' they quite often tag a player they feel that can impact the most. IE the difference from Watson running free without a tag to when he is tagged is minimal. The difference between when Heppells allowed to run free to when hes given a heavy tag may have been seen to be far greater than our other midfielders.

At the start of 2013 i thought hed get a fair bit of a tag its why i didnt pick him in DreamTeam at the start, so it came as no real surprise to me. I saw him as a similar tagging option to Gaff at the start of 2013. Predominantly an outside player who i thought could really be impacted by the tag.

I must admit i think a fair reason why clubs continued that stretch of tagging of Heppell was effectively also due to us loseing at the same time. Its amazing how a opposition analysis/strategist will look at 2-3 games ahead see who was tag and align it with success or not. With us when Heppell was tagged we went to shit (whether it was due to that as a major reason or not is another question). When Watson and sometimes Stanton was tagged for say the first 12 rounds we were still winning.

I think next year will be the year Zacka gets a fair bit of attention. Because hes my 'breakout' player. I think he will have stellar start to the year then get recognized and start to cop a tag mid to end season similar to what Heppell experienced 2013. Goddard wont really get too many hard tags ever as i said its a H2H philosophy with him from most sides they feel they can get him going the other just as much as he can get them.

Anyways, back on topic that I accidentally got off topic.

I would love to see Browne get a chance in the seniors, but he seems vanilla that we already have plenty of (Howlett, Hocking, Melksham even). Needs that x - factor these guys also lack.

This is the reason why I have high hopes for Dalgleish, dat left foot is as good as Myers, whilst he would be in the top 10% of players for pace in the comp. (seen the blistering pace myself at VFL level - WOW)

Heppell is the sort of player that is most damaging. Operating alongside the ball winners in the coal face it is his quick hands and creativity under pressure that turns a clearance into a damaging chain of possession. Essendon needs Myers to keep a close eye on Watson so he can achieve some of the creativity that Watson displays while also bring a big body for ball winning.

If Myers is the breakout man and Melksham backs up last year then .. BOOM .. we have one of the very best midfields in the comp .... on the proviso that the lack of pace in our midfield is covered by a game plan where our flankers get on the end of a handball and run and carry ... and we have a good defensive structure to cover teams like Richmond who have plenty of pace right in the coal face.

This is just Myers' second full preseason right? He'd be a good chance for a bigger breakout than Kreuzer's acne if he has a good run at it this offseason. I think Pears could be another one so long as he gets regular game time. He's had a long time out and a summer of getting used to his body and it's limits will do him the world of good.

David Myers will elevate his game and that left foot will become a weapon teams will fear.
Also as a sneaky one Shaun Edwards. Think he'll push himself into a solid half forward/wing position.
Our depth is scary good.:D

Hurley back at FB will make the All Australian team, holy shit this bloke knows how to defend and he has a great attacking game from defence.
Hurley's move to defence will be seen as a master stroke from Bomber.

David Myers will elevate his game and that left foot will become a weapon teams will fear.
Also as a sneaky one Shaun Edwards. Think he'll push himself into a solid half forward/wing position.
Our depth is scary good.:D
Our depth is scary good on paper, with absolutely zero runs on the board to back them up. Love to see Edwards break out this season, but in reality i would be pretty happy just to see him become a good consistent VFL player. Same goes for the rest of our supposed depth players. I really want to see them take our VFL team to the top so that we know they are in fact real depth for the AFL side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our depth is scary good on paper, with absolutely zero runs on the board to back them up. Love to see Edwards break out this season, but in reality i would be pretty happy just to see him become a good consistent VFL player. Same goes for the rest of our supposed depth players. I really want to see them take our VFL team to the top so that we know they are in fact real depth for the AFL side.

This sums up our list :thumbsu:

That Champion Data thing just released apparently didn't really rate many of our developing players which sucks. I wonder if they've taken into account how much of long term projects they are though.
You're kidding... A list based on statistical data doesn't rate players that have little to no statistical data to back them up.

Who would've thought.....

You're kidding... A list based on statistical data doesn't rate players that have little to no statistical data to back them up.

Who would've thought.....

Presumably they looked at VFL stats or something.

Regardless I think the coaches should leave open a couple of spots on the bench each week for the best performers in the VFL the previous week just to get some senior experience into the younger players. We really can't afford for too many of these guys to stagnate in the 2s and turn into mediocre players as a result.

Presumably they looked at VFL stats or something.

Regardless I think the coaches should leave open a couple of spots on the bench each week for the best performers in the VFL the previous week just to get some senior experience into the younger players. We really can't afford for too many of these guys to stagnate in the 2s and turn into mediocre players as a result.

They will play when we rest and of course injuries will come. Due to missing so many top end draft choices due to sanction it is important a few keep getting games. We will see plenty of them through NAB cup

i'd play Edwards in place of Crameri and watch him work, would offer something the rest of the front half doesn't.
What would he offer? A complete lack of understanding about how afl level football works? In all seriousness people need to let this guy learn the ropes before expecting anything.

What would he offer? A complete lack of understanding about how afl level football works? In all seriousness people need to let this guy learn the ropes before expecting anything.

Pace, athleticism and a nightmare match in the front half.

Pace, athleticism and a nightmare match in the front half.
I don't know what the deal is here... The guy is an unproven raw half back. He is now supposed to slot into a top four forward line?! Can we please go for the guys like colyer who have been forged over years for the role?

I don't know what the deal is here... The guy is an unproven raw half back. He is now supposed to slot into a top four forward line?! Can we please go for the guys like colyer who have been forged over years for the role?

Couldn't be worse than what was down there last year. Plus we have an absolute surplus of running defenders

He is Colyer, just 20cm taller but no heavier and has much better disposal but with the few disposals he gets probably wouldn't have more effective disposals in a match!!

If we can develop him to get on the end of a few handballs each quarter he could do some damage. I agree with the poster that he'll be of most use leading up from half forward and then beating opponents back to forward 50. If he can make a bunch of tackles to go with that we have a player on our hands. However, this isn't a Crameri replacement this is a long term replacement for Winderlich.

Ambrose is going to replace Crameri, then become the GOAT (no pressure).

Mini-Merrett for mine.

Unless im mistaken its usually the youngest or there abouts that becomes the better brother, see selwood, cloke etc

Kav could be another one, a few seasons in the system now and no sign of his hamstring troubles

my thoughts anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview The breakout man

Remove this Banner Ad

Back