Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching OTC... * Me
Damning stats for our midfield group....

League rankings for “Impact from Ball use”

Kennedy 110th in league
Hewett 242nd
Walsh 355th
Cripps 360th

Cerra 52nd but was moved out of midfield to play half back 😮

Cripps attending 20 centre bounces for 0 clearances and Cerra attended 4 for 2 clearances....

******* embarrassing but most of this cannot be fixed until we hit the draft and be patient or secure some bonafide mids with better kicking skills via aggressive trading !!

Get Cerra in the midfield more and get Cripps out of there more often for a start !!
I keep saying it, Walsh has become an accumulator who's possessions don't have much impact. Cripps has gone from Brownlow to B Grade run of the mill mid. Kennedy has been screwed around and put in positions he can't play. Hewett struggles to kick over 35 metres. Cerra has improved but because he can run a bit gets shifted around which is really dumb coaching.

It's our top end letting us down big time.

Cripps needs to be more about handballing and feeding out but he doesn't position to do this and he burns blokes.

Walsh is a smart player who gets in possessions behind the contest and not forward of it and not outside running forward like a runner like his sould.

Hewett makes the best of his abilities. Can't run or kick very long but is a good player.

I don't think our midfield is very well coached.

But the problem is that it's not yips or slumps, it's just his ability. He can't kick for goal.
Ability is not the issue. H can kick them along the ground, around the corner, on the run, checkside, from outside 50... Has all the skills, it's a mental thing.

Fev was on the money about keeping the ball still though. That's the key to consistency. All the greats had it.

Reckon Owies and Walsh are about the only ones at our club who look like they are kicking for goal like it's their job. The rest of them look like kids at the park with their mates. Drives me nuts.

Ability is not the issue. H can kick them along the ground, around the corner, on the run, checkside, from outside 50... Has all the skills, it's a mental thing.

Fev was on the money about keeping the ball still though. That's the key to consistency. All the greats had it.

Reckon Owies and Walsh are about the only ones at our club who look like they are kicking for goal like it's their job. The rest of them look like kids at the park with their mates. Drives me nuts.
He "knows" he's gonna miss before he starts his run up.

Thinking "don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss..."

As you run up probably isnt conducive to kicking goals.

Not saying that's what's happening but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He "knows" he's gonna miss before he starts his run up.

Thinking "don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss don't miss..."

As you run up probably isnt conducive to kicking goals.

Not saying that's what's happening but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

You can’t assume it is mental until he has a refined routine first. I don’t see him take enough time before he starts his run. Get that right first and if he still misses one could then assume it might be mental.

You can’t assume it is mental until he has a refined routine first. I don’t see him take enough time before he starts his run. Get that right first and if he still misses one could then assume it might be mental.
Gotta be somewhat mental. Those marks he's taking 70m out he's just stunned afterwards. Has no ability to move quickly or make a fast and good decision with what to do next.

Gotta be somewhat mental. Those marks he's taking 70m out he's just stunned afterwards. Has no ability to move quickly or make a fast and good decision with what to do next.
Could well be. I’d like him to have a routine. I think with/without mental issues his kicking will improve some what. That just might spark some confidence back.

I know you already know and others have already referred to it but when I see owies take his shots ….it’s like that his job. His craft.

Kennedy doesn’t **** around when he’s having a shot, great routine & kicks it well - bloody good mark too, we just haven’t seen it in a while

I think that's his anxiety playing up something fierce. Hopefully the club is working with him rather than against him in trying to fix it. It's not great when even supporters can see him freezing up (very natural response to stress) once he has ball in hand.

Kennedy doesn’t * around when he’s having a shot, great routine & kicks it well - bloody good mark too, we just haven’t seen it in a while
He’s not played at HF enough is he?

He’s a great kick and good mark so would. E good to play him there.

Guv is another I’d like to see in forward group.

Not having a routine is part of it. If he's indecisive about which approach to take, then that add to the mental noise. Too much going on.

He’s not played at HF enough is he?

He’s a great kick and good mark so would. E good to play him there.

Guv is another I’d like to see in forward group.
I've been pretty staunch on McGovern playing back but Kemp looks to be coming on, we lack that player, maybe it's time we try him forward again.

Then again he's having a consistent uninjured run in defence, maybe we leave it. But definitely something to consider.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way in the world would I play after retiring from AFL, or even WAFL. Too many Meat heads out there trying to make a name for themselves.

But the problem is that it's not yips or slumps, it's just his ability. He can't kick for goal.
... except that's clearly not true. He kicked 58 goals in 2021, and 45 goals last year; one does not kick those tallies if one can't kick for goal.

Let's not let recency bias interfere too much with reality, hmm?

I've been pretty staunch on McGovern playing back but Kemp looks to be coming on, we lack that player, maybe it's time we try him forward again.

Then again he's having a consistent uninjured run in defence, maybe we leave it. But definitely something to consider.

I've noticed McGovern rarely breaks into a sprint. Seems to play within himself athletically, using his smarts and skills more to impact the game. I wonder if that's helping him be more durable this year.

You can't really do that as a forward.

I've noticed McGovern rarely breaks into a sprint. Seems to play within himself athletically, using his smarts and skills more to impact the game. I wonder if that's helping him be more durable this year.

You can't really do that as a forward.
I've noticed this too. He uses his pace at times, but looks to be consciously trying to minimise his full speed.

Kemp and Gov fit and firing can only be good for our backline.

... except that's clearly not true. He kicked 58 goals in 2021, and 45 goals last year; one does not kick those tallies if one can't kick for goal.

Let's not let recency bias interfere too much with reality, hmm?
And how many drop punts has he kicked in that time? Barely a handful I'd say. The snap around the corner is such a crutch and it's cost us dearly.

And how many drop punts has he kicked in that time? Barely a handful I'd say. The snap around the corner is such a crutch and it's cost us dearly.
Why is it that when Harry misses with a snap we get a ton of people saying he should be kicking drop punts, but when JSOS misses with a drop punt nobody says he should be kicking snaps?

Why is it that when Harry misses with a snap we get a ton of people saying he should be kicking drop punts, but when JSOS misses with a drop punt nobody says he should be kicking snaps?
Uhm no what i say when Jack misses is go and learn how to kick a drop punt properly … this snapping crap has got to end …

Uhm no what i say when Jack misses is go and learn how to kick a drop punt properly … this snapping crap has got to end …
With Jack it is 100% in his head- good luck finding literally anyone else in the planet who has been surrounded by footy more. He grew up around some of the greatest players in the history of the game & he definitely had a kick with a hell of a lot of them. It’s not like he just needs to kick it a few more times, the skill & muscle memory is well and truly there.
Personally I think he needs an absolute top tier sports psych - preferably a proven golf psych.

I'd love to see the club engage with someone like Hugh van Cuylenberg or Emma Murray. Both were involved in Richmond's success. They don't have to use those two specifically, but surely there's someone else out there who works with the principles of G.E.M and can sort our boys' mindset out.

I'd love to see the club engage with someone like Hugh van Cuylenberg or Emma Murray. Both were involved in Richmond's success. They don't have to use those two specifically, but surely there's someone else out there who works with the principles of G.E.M and can sort our boys' mindset out.
Someone mentioned we already have a sports psycho working at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back