Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

WTF? So a bloke earning what? 500k a year, is now auctioning off personally priceless premiership gear for 20k?

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to think something here doesn't add up and doesn't look good.

Would be on significantly more than 500k

Yeah I wasn't sure so erred on the side of caution. The point is why would someone on massive coin need to sell significantly personal possessions for basically peanuts?
Maybe he's just chipping in to buy Max a bigger couch and some pillows so Joel and Clarry can make a fort 🤗

Listen to McCrae (below) for 30 minutes post the Pies’ premiership win. Then think how far Goody is off the mark from this bloke in terms of depth of intelligence and mastery of communication skills. Unfortunately, we’ve got a coach who falls short of the mark in these key areas and who subsequently allowed a rot to set in that should never have been allowed to. Listen to how many times Fly stresses “humility in victory”, “graciousness in defeat”, these types of values and lessons. Then think about how Goody allowed a culture to develop whereby blokes like Langdon and May openly pot other teams in public, get into stoushes among themselves and so on. That’s to say nothing of the gambling and party culture that’s been given free reign. Old saying but the fish does rot at the head and that goes not only for Simon but those above him who couldn’t/didn’t see what was happening and allowed this sh1t to fester. Pathetic leadership and an absolute insult to the supporters.
Not sure that we can come back from it. A drop off over the next 24 months would not surprise given what’s been going on.

Last edited:
Listen to McCrae (below) for 30 minutes post the Pies’ premiership win. Then think how far Goody is off the mark from this bloke in terms of depth of intelligence and mastery of communication skills. Unfortunately, we’ve got a bloke coaching our side who falls short of the mark in these key areas and who subsequently allowed a rot to set in that should never have been allowed to. Listen to how many times Fly stresses “humility in victory”, “graciousness in defeat”, these types of values and lessons. Then think about our Goody who allowed a culture to develop whereby blokes like Langdon and May openly pot other teams in public, get into stoushes among themselves and so on. That’s to say nothing of the gambling and party culture that’s been given free reign. Old saying but the fish does rot at the head and that goes not only for Simon but those above him who allowed couldn’t/didn’t see what was happening and allowed this sh1t to fester. Pathetic leadership and an absolute insult to the supporters.
Not sure that we can come back from it. A drop off over the next 24 months would not surprise given what’s been going on.

Goody has the playing group. Seems to be great at building relationships with the players. It's just everything else he seems to struggle at. Needs that 2IC who has the ability to be inventive. If McQualter isn't this, then I can't see us improving at all. No new players good enough to turn this around. So has to come from within. McRae clearly a great coach. Has won the same amount of flags as Goody so far though. Pies looking more likely than us to add to that though.

Goody has the playing group. Seems to be great at building relationships with the players. It's just everything else he seems to struggle at. Needs that 2IC who has the ability to be inventive. If McQualter isn't this, then I can't see us improving at all. No new players good enough to turn this around. So has to come from within. McRae clearly a great coach. Has won the same amount of flags as Goody so far though. Pies looking more likely than us to add to that though.
McQualter isn't that.

He may ‘have’ the playing group in terms of being mates with them. But he’s not been smart or wise enough (so far) to engender the right culture within them. That’s a big problem and probably one that doesn’t get solved while he’s senior coach.

The flag buys him extra years but was that his flag or did he cash in on Roos’ work? I lean more to the latter.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on, Roos finished up in 2016 and we won the flag 5 years later in 2021.

This team is Goody's team, for better or worse

Probably a combination of both.

Right now, on his own, he’s overseen the culture of the joint plummet through the floor. Handling success is just as important as achieving it.

I’m a hater but waiting to see us win at least one final before I praise him. Another straight sets exit would be a disgrace.
Opened this thread for the first time since August 21 and this is the first post to greet me.

Hate on old friend, hate on.

That clip on the website from the Members Forum is vomit inducing.
Huh? How is it vomit inducing? I actually thought it was encouraging. He Highlights we need to focus on scoring. We're thereabouts but finding ways to score while keeping our strength in defence and contest is our focus. And that we lost key moments in finals. I loved that the coaches and players watched the finals and analysed it. Totally different to the year before where we pretty much dismissed the losses.

I'm all for Goody bashing, but this video ain't it. Whether we can follow through is another thing, but I actually was encouraged by this video.

Huh? How is it vomit inducing? I actually thought it was encouraging. He Highlights we need to focus on scoring. We're thereabouts but finding ways to score while keeping our strength in defence and contest is our focus. And that we lost key moments in finals. I loved that the coaches and players watched the finals and analysed it. Totally different to the year before where we pretty much dismissed the losses.

I'm all for Goody bashing, but this video ain't it. Whether we can follow through is another thing, but I actually was encouraged by this video.
I dunno mate- to continue going back to #contestdefence and the fact we are just looking for "1 more goal" didnt do it for me. We just witnessed one of the great grand finals and it was two teams playing exciting attacking footy. The obsession with #contestdefence is a thing of the past and he still hasn't woken up to it.

"There is nothing better as a Melbourne supporter than rocking up to the G and knowing the team you have. You have a highly competitive team, a team that is blue collar and works hard"

As a supporter of the Melbourne Football Club im qualified to speak on this point, youre wrong Simon. Completely wrong. I much prefer rocking up to the G thinking we could play some unpredictable exciting football, predictable blue collar football sucks and is why we lose finals.

All in all about what I expected. Nothing will change. Just about trying to have a little bit better success when going inside 50. The goal of one extra goal a game is a pathetically low bar.

Instead of kicking 9.15 from 60 inside 50's we are going to try and kick 10.14 from 60 inside 50's in the 2024 finals series. Reaching for the stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back