Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

All you blokes who want to boot Goodwin, would be nice if you could actually suggest a solution.

Goodwin has a 57% win rate, a premiership, 3 top 4 finishes and a minor premiership.

Who do you suggest we get to replace him that will give us better results than Goodwin has gotten for us?

While his style is batshit boring, he would change it if the list let him.

Only thing about him that pisses me off is our need to constantly pay for a mentor (Choco/Roos/Neil/Richo ect) while having **** all soft cap left for proper forward line coaching.
Anyone. Literally any one person. Even you.

No disharmony at the club. Just players punching on in public places, one guy supplying Bolivian marching powder for the entire club (though you could argue this is team-building I guess), drunken B&F speeches, a coach with well documented substance and gambling issues, multiple lawsuits going on in the background, an inner circle of favourites that gets picked every week their despite levels of performance, a player that nearly died on field, got put back out there and then didn't get ruled out for the season, despite he himself saying he's months away, the supposed drug test cover-ups and anything to do with Clayton Oliver.

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA
no surprise we've fallen off a cliff with the tragic loss of our coke supplier

All you blokes who want to boot Goodwin, would be nice if you could actually suggest a solution.

Goodwin has a 57% win rate, a premiership, 3 top 4 finishes and a minor premiership.

Who do you suggest we get to replace him that will give us better results than Goodwin has gotten for us?

Only thing about him that pisses me off is our need to constantly pay for a mentor (Choco/Roos/Neil/Richo ect) while having **** all soft cap left for proper forward line coaching.

Pick someone who wants them to have fun.

Pick someone who wants them to have fun.

Love Kingsley, people skills and he gets it, the game needs to be fun. Compare that to the Android in charge of us when we show behind the scenes stuff.

Mich0, you could be selected as our next senior coach and I'd still be a happy man.

My first order will be to **** off Lamb and promote the work experience kid into his role
Sounds like Tim Lamb hascGoody do his job anyway. Why do we even need him? I guess Goody is responsible for the Oliver contract everyone on here sooks about too. And that God awful Brayshaw contract. I'm struggling to find anything good Tim Lamb has done. All the poor list decisions seems to be on Goodwin. Sounds like we could have anyone do Lamb's job. Circle the names of a few players and give the list to the coach to pick. Get reamed at the negotiation table by player managers. I'm just struggling to see wtf Tim Lamb has done that's any good? The only player I see that he's brought to the club that was any good, is Ben Brown. So his strike rate is what, 1 from 10? Contracts have been debatable bad. And if he's not responsible for the horrible list management (which is his title) then wtf dies he do? Get rid of him and Goody and a fair chunk of our problems disappear.

Can we stop saying this narrative that we finished top 4 in 2022 and 2023?
We absolutely didn't. Making top4 is making the prelims, that's how it works in the draft as well.

We finished 5th in 2022. And 6th in 2023. And now will finish 9-13th, showing we're on a continuous slide.

I was positive about Goodwin this time last year, but since then we've gone out in straight sets and this year has been a disaster. On top of that, under Goodwin we have only won a final in only 6 out of the 8 seasons he's been here. Thats not good enough.

We at least need some heat and change on the assistant coaches, footy department (yes that includes Tim Lamb) as well

Last edited:
Maybe the general manager of performance needs to come under fire as well. I mean, wtf does he do?
Richo? He's the footy manager, oversees the whole football department at the club. Every team has one.

From the club website:

1722898971147.png

Maybe his time is up then.
Possibly. It's hard to know from the outside with a role like that. It could be that Goodwin is just surrounded by bad staff and needs a new team but as it stands these are very much his guys and all the off-field staff are trying to execute the senior coaches vision. This is why the coach generally gets the most blame. He is the nucleus of the whole operation.

Also the reason that when the coach goes the vast majority of the football department goes with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly. It's hard to know from the outside with a role like that. It could be that Goodwin is just surrounded by bad staff and needs a new team but as it stands these are very much his guys and all the off-field staff are trying to execute the senior coaches vision. This is why the coach generally gets the most blame. He is the nucleus of the whole operation.

Also the reason that when the coach goes the vast majority of the football department goes with them.
Wasn't it Richo who was moved upstairs because he wants enough of a yes man to goody or am I remembering that wrong

Wasn't it Richo who was moved upstairs because he wants enough of a yes man to goody or am I remembering that wrong
I don't remember that. Are you thinking of Brendan McCartney who was moved to the bench when Goodwin was still in the box in 2018?

Yep nvm. It was McCartney
That was a weird one too. I remember hearing stories that McCartney had a bit of a reputation for being hard to work with. I've heard similar stories about Chocco too but that hasn't really been an issue for us it appears.

With Richo it's really hard to say, he seems a bit boring but I genuinely get the sense he cares about the club and it's people, maybe that makes him a pushover? He came out of our off-season looking the best of anyone imo.

That was a weird one too. I remember hearing stories that McCartney had a bit of a reputation for being hard to work with. I've heard similar stories about Chocco too but that hasn't really been an issue for us it appears.

With Richo it's really hard to say, he seems a bit boring but I genuinely get the sense he cares about the club and it's people, maybe that makes him a pushover? He came out of our off-season looking the best of anyone imo.
I think Goody was mentored by Roosy and then has had 8 years in charge. I don't think he needs mass clean outs above and around him, at this point he's the one driving this culture dive into the ground.

my memory was that Goodwin got Richo across as an assistant coach and then he was promoted to footy boss in a reshuffle not long after.

anyway i reckon i'd be sacking both Lamb and Goodwin based on their performance. both have failed badly the last three years and don't look capable of learning anything from the previous mistakes made no matter how much they bang on about the learnings in every preseason. it's all been proven to be just lip service and nothing more.

my memory was that Goodwin got Richo across as an assistant coach and then he was promoted to footy boss in a reshuffle not long after.

anyway i reckon i'd be sacking both Lamb and Goodwin based on their performance. both have failed badly the last three years and don't look capable of learning anything from the previous mistakes made no matter how much they bang on about the learnings in every preseason. it's all been proven to be just lip service and nothing more.
Every single person apart for JT and his scouts needs to go.

Surely he'd have more than a 1 year deal?
They'll pay him out if need be, someone has to take the blame for this season and us getting slaughtered at clearance makes him the obvious candidate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back