Competitions The Contest - predict Geelong's National Draft selections

Remove this Banner Ad

I had pick Vlastuin at pick 16. Reckon the Tigers will take him now.

I had brother Murdoch at 79 and reckon he will be gone now too.

I want Stringer but I think he will be gone. Then Jaksch but reckon Carlton will take him before us.

So I was going to go Simpson at pick 16 but with that news he has a daughter in WA - no thanks his heart maybe in WA.

Who does that leave ? SAM COLQUHOUN or GARNER. I'm on the bandwagon.

For pick 79 - probably the man who will not be named as the others like Brody and Thurlow seem they will not last that long.

Still one top 15 player may slip and we pick him up (please be Stringer).

I see the AFL website is suggesting we will let Stringer go through to the Pies and take Garner instead. From what I have seen, which is very limited, that was a bit of a surprise for me.

HE does get some good wraps from posters here though I see.

My brain hurts now.

I see the AFL website is suggesting we will let Stringer go through to the Pies and take Garner instead. From what I have seen, which is very limited, that was a bit of a surprise for me.

HE does get some good wraps from posters here though I see.

My brain hurts now.

Yeah I know how you feel. But no way will Geelong let Stringer slip if we get a chance to draft him.

Apparently the Gold Coast are in love with Simpson at 13, so I think he'll be gone before our pick too.

May well be. If Garlett had gone top 15 I think Simpson would have got to us, but he may not now. I'd be happy if he did.

May well be. If Garlett had gone top 15 I think Simpson would have got to us, but he may not now. I'd be happy if he did.

Simpson's prospects of joining us will depend very much upon how Wells reacts to the last-minute news about the daughter, and exactly how confident he can be about the commitment of Simpson and his family to the move; not much time to talk to everyone involved and get a really good handle on how they all really feel.

Simpson's prospects of joining us will depend very much upon how Wells reacts to the last-minute news about the daughter, and exactly how confident he can be about the commitment of Simpson and his family to the move; not much time to talk to everyone involved and get a really good handle on how they all really feel.

Apparently for most clubs it wasn't "Last minute news". Emma Quayle has said that most clubs knew about it for a long time. If Gold Coast don't take him then Fremantle definitely will. Won't get to us.

Apparently for most clubs it wasn't "Last minute news". Emma Quayle has said that most clubs knew about it for a long time. If Gold Coast don't take him then Fremantle definitely will. Won't get to us.

If Quayle is correct, that makes a difference. But it would seem to flatly contradict what Kevin Sheehan has said or implied.
Having said all that, I doubt whether we really need or want another inconsistent low-possession outside runner, we've got a couple already in Varcoe and Motlop.

If Quayle is correct, that makes a difference. But it would seem to flatly contradict what Kevin Sheehan has said or implied.
Having said all that, I doubt whether we really need or want another inconsistent low-possession outside runner, we've got a couple already in Varcoe and Motlop.

I think it's irrelevant to suggest "What we need" as, with this draft's strong top 30, Wells will more than likely be choosing best available.

Fremantle have the pick after us. Because, y'know, they beat us.

I think it's irrelevant to suggest "What we need" as, with this draft's strong top 30, Wells will more than likely be choosing best available.

With only one real pick, he won't waste it on a type of player we don't need, unless they are absolutely head and shoulders above the pack.
He will pick the best available who fits one of our needs.

With only one real pick, he won't waste it on a type of player we don't need, unless they are absolutely head and shoulders above the pack.
He will pick the best available who fits one of our needs.

We don't need anyone though. All of our lines are strong at the moment. Therefore making the best available the most suitable.

Fremantle have the pick after us. Because, y'know, they beat us.

Bastards! That'll learn 'em!:D

We don't need anyone though. All of our lines are strong at the moment. Therefore making the best available the most suitable.

Hard to know how to answer this, really, other than to say, as politely as I can, that it's simply too silly for words.
We're not the reigning premiers, we do need someone.
And if we were the reigning premiers, we would still need someone to fill anticipated future gaps.
Drafting decisions are not made in a vacuum on the basis of some putative expert's opinion of who is "the best available", they are and will be made on the basis of our present and future needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thinking is pretty similar to others, Stringer and the mystery defender would be a great draft for us. However, it just doesn't work that way, I'm sure if Whitfield was there at 16, Wells would still pick some guy we've never heard of and still end up being the better player. I think Stringer will be available, but we'll overlook him - stoked if we get him tho :)

So in the tradition of expecting the unexpected, I'm going to nominate two local boys:
16- Mason Wood - versatile mobile tall, late bloomer, seemingly came from nowhere this year and club may see a lot of upside.
77- Josh Saunders - may not even get drafted, but is a pacy mid and maybe something to work with there.

I have again changed my mind - with the latest draft info coming out.

Pick 16 - Lonergan (then Garner. Stringer will be first picked if he is available).

Pick 79 - The Mystery Man.

Our list is so well balanced that it's hard to judge where Wells' thinking will be , as others have said he's one to think well outside the square at times.
The priority for me is the midfield as you can never have enough quality rotating through there - we are well covered with medium sized mids so I think our pressing need is a 188cm+ monster to replace Joel Corey. So at P16 I think we'll go for Stringer or Vlastiun if they are there.
If both these are gone I think we'll look for a KPD prospect in Jaksch or O'Brien.
Even though we've only got P16 & 79 I'm pretty pumped about tomorrow night !!

we really need a good young key defender because losing gillies along with Drum means we are lacking right now...even though our current defenders are still amongst the best in the league, the average age of our defense is 28 and they will have 3 good solid years left before being showed up like Scarlo did in his final year so we must get games into young key defenders in this 3 year period

Our list is so well balanced that it's hard to judge where Wells' thinking will be , as others have said he's one to think well outside the square at times.
The priority for me is the midfield as you can never have enough quality rotating through there - we are well covered with medium sized mids so I think our pressing need is a 188cm+ monster to replace Joel Corey. So at P16 I think we'll go for Stringer or Vlastiun if they are there.
If both these are gone I think we'll look for a KPD prospect in Jaksch or O'Brien.
Even though we've only got P16 & 79 I'm pretty pumped about tomorrow night !!

This is basically why it doesn't matter what type of player we go for because we don't have obvious deficiencies. For big-bodied midfielders we just got Caddy and we've got Horlin-Smith and Schroder who both showed in the VFL that they're ready to step up to the next level.

That's why we just go for the best available. If that's a medium forward/midfielder with x-factor like Menzel (unlikely) then go for them. If it's a more hard-nut player like Stringer or Vlastuin then so be it. If it's a ruckman (hard to see how that would happen) or a tall then get them.

Basically there's no way in the world that Wells' choices this year will be based on anything but who he thinks will be the best player of those left. Pick 79 he'll probably go for a more left-field selection that could become anything (or nothing) but it won't be based on particular positions.

Now they say Grundy might be our pick and Stringer is well gone by pick 16 !

Wow my head does hurt.

All the guys I like seem gone by pick 16. Posters here seem to like the idea of Grundy. I never thought about him as he was top 5 last time I looked !

Want -
Pick 16 - Stringer Get - ??? SAM COLQUHOUN - and I say this because he cannot slide as he is not a top 15 pick ! They say Garner will go earlier than predicted.

Bugger this - it was fun now it is just doing my head in. I will give up now and just watch tomorrow night. I assume it is on TV ? Channel 7 ? 7.00 pm ?

Bastards! That'll learn 'em!:D

Hard to know how to answer this, really, other than to say, as politely as I can, that it's simply too silly for words.
We're not the reigning premiers, we do need someone.
And if we were the reigning premiers, we would still need someone to fill anticipated future gaps.
Drafting decisions are not made in a vacuum on the basis of some putative expert's opinion of who is "the best available", they are and will be made on the basis of our present and future needs.

I think you'll find you are wrong.

I think you'll find you are wrong.

Tell you what I'll do, comrade.
I'll apologise to you tomorrow if Wells or Balme say "We don't think this kid will fit any of our future needs, we just picked him because he was the best available".
Can't say fairer than that, can I?:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions The Contest - predict Geelong's National Draft selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back