The curious case of Chris Mayne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damien Barrett on his weekly video with Llyod mentioned North have cooled a bit on Mayne. Here's hoping the crow defenders walk the ball out of Norfs forward line on Saturday night. I still think they'll take him, hopefully for decent coin too.

If it wasnt for maynes kicking, Peter Bell would of handed us our 2013 flag to us. That, in my eyes, would of been epic
Haha, are you trolling? Surely there's been enough revisionist history on this thread already. If anyone killed our momentum in that game it was Fyfe, or Ballas. Blaming Mayne for that one is a cracker :)

Haha, are you trolling? Surely there's been enough revisionist history on this thread already. If anyone killed our momentum in that game it was Fyfe, or Ballas. Blaming Mayne for that one is a cracker :)
no, not trolling. Peter Bell is one of my favourite all time favourite dockers along with troy cook.

It just would of been a beautiful site seeing Bell give Pav the cup

no, not trolling. Peter Bell is one of my favourite all time favourite dockers along with troy cook.

It just would of been a beautiful site seeing Bell give Pav the cup
It would have, but your statement that Mayne's kicking cost us the 2013 flag is just clearly wrong.

If it wasnt for maynes kicking, Peter Bell would of handed us our 2013 flag to us. That, in my eyes, would of been epic
Nah mate.

Mayney was really good in the GF. Just about any other bloke you could pot for stuffing up their opportunities on the day but I thought he was one of the few who stood up.

Last edited:
He did kick a brilliant goal, from outside 50 to get us to within 3 points. Never felt so pumped before that moment, spine tingling. He kept Birchall quiet all game.

And if you're looking for players to say denied us the premiership, look at Ballas or D. Pearce. Both absolutely choked that day, remembered Ballas in the middle of the ground, running towards the ball and slipping like he just ice skated for the first time in his life. That was horrid, my dad never fails to bring that up every time Ballas stuffs up since.

He did kick a brilliant goal, from outside 50 to get us to within 3 points. Never felt so pumped before that moment, spine tingling. He kept Birchall quiet all game.

And if you're looking for players to say denied us the premiership, look at Ballas or D. Pearce. Both absolutely choked that day, remembered Ballas in the middle of the ground, running towards the ball and slipping like he just ice skated for the first time in his life. That was horrid, my dad never fails to bring that up every time Ballas stuffs up since.
I was at the game, my god I felt a new level of pump at that moment.............. oh man :disrelieved:

Mayne in fact booted a long-range set-shot in the 3rd quarter to pull Freo within three points.

I was at the game, my god I felt a new level of pump at that moment.............. oh man :disrelieved:

Sad memories, brother. I got a terrible feeling watching warmups from my seat at the MCG as Ballas was practicing his goal kicking and kept missing and dejectedly shaking his head. That said...I was again watching Freo during warmups, this time at Etihad Stadium before Rd 1 this year and watched Chris Mayne look bewildered as he missed every kick he attempted...:(

Sad memories, brother. I got a terrible feeling watching warmups from my seat at the MCG as Ballas was practicing his goal kicking and kept missing and dejectedly shaking his head. That said...I was again watching Freo during warmups, this time at Etihad Stadium before Rd 1 this year and watched Chris Mayne look bewildered as he missed every kick he attempted...:(
I'm still bewildered that he hasn't tried to change his set shot routine in the last three seasons. Clearly it's not working. What are our skills coaches doing?

Or is this just another "it's up to the players".

- It's up to the players what kind if boots they wear.
- We don't practice tackling techniques it's up to the players.
- It's up to the players how they take their set shots.

I'm still bewildered that he hasn't tried to change his set shot routine in the last three seasons. Clearly it's not working. What are our skills coaches doing?

Or is this just another "it's up to the players".

- It's up to the players what kind if boots they wear.
- We don't practice tackling techniques it's up to the players.
- It's up to the players how they take their set shots.

Dare I ignite this fire for a heated debate? -It's up to the players who they choose as captain

I just find AFL level footballers that regularly miss sitters bizarre. They can do stuff on a field that probably 99.9% of us on BigFooty could only dream of.. but can't effortlessly nail a goal from 25m straight in front which a lot of us that have played ammos at crap levels could comfortably kick 9/10 from down at the local park.

I assumed Mayne's problem was just in his head, choking in games in front of the crowd in the moment which is a bit understandable. But apparently he also struggles with it at training under no pressure :huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just find AFL level footballers that regularly miss sitters bizarre. They can do stuff on a field that probably 99.9% of us on BigFooty could only dream of.. but can't effortlessly nail a goal from 25m straight in front which a lot of us that have played ammos at crap levels could comfortably kick 9/10 from down at the local park.

I assumed Mayne's problem was just in his head, choking in games in front of the crowd in the moment which is a bit understandable. But apparently he also struggles with it at training under no pressure :huh:
Without out a doubt it is psychological. Watching the women's game you could see how much more pressure they felt kicking set shots in front of a big crowd and a few 100,000 watching on TV. Public speaking is the #1 fear and I reckon kicking set shots in AFL is equally nerve racking. Maybe we aren't privvy to what happens behind closed doors to help this but looking externally it doesn't look like much does. With all that money you'd think they'd spend as much on equipping their minds as they do on their bodies.

Without out a doubt it is psychological. Watching the women's game you could see how much more pressure they felt kicking set shots in front of a big crowd and a few 100,000 watching on TV. Public speaking is the #1 fear and I reckon kicking set shots in AFL is equally nerve racking. Maybe we aren't privvy to what happens behind closed doors to help this but looking externally it doesn't look like much does. With all that money you'd think they'd spend as much on equipping their minds as they do on their bodies.

Yep exactly

They nailed so many handballs and field kicks but shanked shots on goals.

The higher the level the harder it gets. You have to work so, so hard to get separation or get to the right position that when you do get the ball you're absolutely knackered; the body is focussed on stabilising itself after the burst of energy and adrenaline making it incredibly difficult to apply the routines established at training. And what's more, it is impossible to replicate game day pressures on the training track, you can only hope for a crude approximation.

It's why Matthew Lloyd used to waste so much time with tossing grass in the air, adjusting his socks and querying the line with the umpires - all to buy time to get his heart rate down so that he could calmly execute the shot.

No one is immune from it, look at some of the clutch shots Pav missed over his career. No one holds that against him because he kicked so many but he missed some howlers right up to his last match. Riewoldt is another that comes to mind. He's a superb field kick but often goes to water in front of the sticks.
Players like Breust and Gunston couldn't miss for a while but have gone through yips since.
Jon Brown was probably the king of the clutch shot although there have been others.

Fyfe is regarded as a poor set shot cause of his grand final misses and hasnt got rid of that stigma from the commentators even though he has improved over time and dont think he missed a set shot in the 1st 5 rounds this year.

In terms of mayney he has just lost all confidence in his set shot ability that a fresh start is probably the best thing for him at this stage of his career

Critiquing Mayne on just one metric - set shots - is a woefully incomplete analysis. Six points is six points, so why isn't goals from turnover included in the review? And how many of these were potentially 12 point plays?

I am as a big a fan of Pav and the Wiz as anybody here, but in their last years opposition teams would often counter-attack via their man or the part of the zone they were supposed to be protecting. Only those inside the video and stats room will ever know how many goals leaked because of this whilst, out in the public arena, various defenders get pilloried for "not doing their job".

Why other club want mayne where everybody here keep saying he is not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back