The Footy Show

Remove this Banner Ad

Deadshits? Oh thanks.
The players had a meeting behind Akers back with the intention to get him sacked, and as it was said, prior to this, Brad was acting all kind and stuff. It works.

I know, this could 'galvinise your playing group'
Nah, this is going to be so detrimental it's not funny, I'm currently relatively content with our position because I feel that we've already reached the bottom point and all we can do now is go up, and finals are gone for this year.
This whole thing will separate the playing group and threatens these last few weeks into the finals a lot, it's only going to get worse from here.

By Aker'sadmission, he was grilled on three occasions by the playing group. Sounds to me like they were pretty up front and honest with him. Galvanize or divide? Who knows?

Campbell Rose appeared next, and for me it went from being some of the best football television I've seen to some of the worst.

Rose's position was that as an organisation the WB were not prepared to suffer anymore trust issues with Aker. Aker put to him that he was of the opinion that trust issues itemised by the club were exagerrated, and that players have consoled him and stated they would have backed him if they were not out of contract. Rose countered with the breakdown of trust issue again.

It then got in to tit for tat, and Sam Newman attempted to speak on behalf of Aker and lead Rose down a path where he would be trapped into listing the reasons why the club thought trust had been breached. Rose was not going to be drawn into that, and maintained the line that a club as an organisation cannot break down in trust. It then went around in circles for a while, on the same topics and became a bit of an embarrassment for Sam, Rose, Aker and the WB. I'm 50/50 on whether it was a good move having Rose on, especially with Aker and Sam on stage with him at the Same time.

Disappointing that at the end of the segment, after Aker shook Rose's hand he felt the need to tell him to piss off after he went off stage.

I've tried to report objectively to this point. One thing I will say is that Aker is wanting to talk individual facts, which really shows he doesn't have an appreciation for the context of this issue. The club has maintained one line of a trust breakdown, Aker has claimed he never leaked any information, other than telling Steve Price and Sam Newman about club issues, along with his own issues. If Aker cannot understand that telling people like Sam Newman and Steve Price about club issues is leaking information then he is stupid. Throughout the segment with Rose, he pointed to Sam Newman as the reason for a leak being created at least three times. If that doesn't show any sceptics his obvious lack of understanding of the situation he is faced with then I'll give up. He cannot and will not take responsiblity for his own actions.

+1

Well said

What a stupid decision for Rose to go on. It's turned out to be a disaster for the club

Let's get one thing straight - the club is in the right with the whole thing with Akermanis, yet they've come out looking the fools with the entire thing because of The ****ing Footy Show.

We played straight into the hands of that **** Newman, Akermanis and the show.

Rose needed to be stronger and actually tell what Akermanis had done.

Terrible

Hey Doggies,

Just wanted to say that I was highly impressed with the performance of your CEO. He was on a hiding to nothing being led into that animal enclosure, but he handled the situation with poise and dignity and did not fall into the trap of corporate-speak.

I also chuckled at his comment (paraphrasing) "I've been at the club for 9 years and we've had far greater issues that we have dealt with". And it is true. The media have stirred this up and opposition supporters are (mostly) egging it on to turn up the disharmony in your camp (although they probably hate Aker and know he deserved it) but in Rose's time the club's future has pretty much been secured and the outlook is bright. Far from being the disaster many would have you believe it is, within a very short time it will be a pimple long-popped on the arse of your club. Irritating and painful for a little while then quickly forgotten. When, in 2025 the book is written on your VFL/AFL centenery, the Akermanis sacking will be a footnote in a chapter - if that.

Well done on a tough decision. Heads up and ride it out. The team will be all the better for it.

Very surprised the Bulldogs even put a representative on TFS tonight. Always on a hiding to nothing and sadly for the you guys the publics perception of the Western Bulldogs on this issue was not helped at all. It was pretty similar to the Danny Green fight last night:D. Poor form at the end by Aker but nobody could ever accuse him of being dishonest or gutless.

Dogs haven't handled this well, but there was no way to handle it well. Rose was a mistake, but whoever went it was going to be tense. I was divided on the Aker sacking, he's obviously hurting so it was never going to be good.

Yep he was a real man doing it behind his back wasnt he

Good Riddance Aker

Regardless of your disapproval of this remark, you could clearly see Aker was frustrated that someone who wasn't directly involved in the process was on the show to represent the club and instead they sent a pawn to deliver the 'club's stance' on the matter.

Before you all go off tap, 'pawn' I mean in this process or instance only. Rose is a successful businessman and has turned the club around, I don't mistake that and he did well despite the ambush.

However, the club should've perhaps sent Jonno, Eade or Smorgon to front up and tell their side, instead of a bloke who wasn't present when the fatal blow was delivered.

You don't have to like it, but thats my opinion only.

Good luck for the rest of the season, Doggies :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Doggies,

Just wanted to say that I was highly impressed with the performance of your CEO. He was on a hiding to nothing being led into that animal enclosure, but he handled the situation with poise and dignity and did not fall into the trap of corporate-speak.

I also chuckled at his comment (paraphrasing) "I've been at the club for 9 years and we've had far greater issues that we have dealt with". And it is true. The media have stirred this up and opposition supporters are (mostly) egging it on to turn up the disharmony in your camp (although they probably hate Aker and know he deserved it) but in Rose's time the club's future has pretty much been secured and the outlook is bright. Far from being the disaster many would have you believe it is, within a very short time it will be a pimple long-popped on the arse of your club. Irritating and painful for a little while then quickly forgotten. When, in 2025 the book is written on your VFL/AFL centenery, the Akermanis sacking will be a footnote in a chapter - if that.

Well done on a tough decision. Heads up and ride it out. The team will be all the better for it.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Rose could have gotten down in the gutter and torn shreds of Aker and Sam and really taken them to town. He is an extremely intelligent man, and people like Sam Newman, Steve Price, Jason Akermanis or anyone you care to line up would not be able to fight it out with him.

All of the dullards that wanted to see Rose list the reasons why Aker was sacked one by one are wasting their time.

The difference between the club and Aker is that the club is happy to keep things in house.

I've tried to report objectively to this point. One thing I will say is that Aker is wanting to talk individual facts, which really shows he doesn't have an appreciation for the context of this issue. The club has maintained one line of a trust breakdown, Aker has claimed he never leaked any information, other than telling Steve Price and Sam Newman about club issues, along with his own issues. If Aker cannot understand that telling people like Sam Newman and Steve Price about club issues is leaking information then he is stupid. Throughout the segment with Rose, he pointed to Sam Newman as the reason for a leak being created at least three times. If that doesn't show any sceptics his obvious lack of understanding of the situation he is faced with then I'll give up. He cannot and will not take responsiblity for his own actions.
Says it all in a nutshell doesn't it ? Acker, unfortunately is too dumb to even realise how dumb he is on the issue of leaking club information.

It's actually called the Dunning-Kruger effect. The short story is that some people are just too dumb to even realise they havn't the faintest clue what they are talking about. Quite interesting description on Wiki
.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

I think rose had to go on. Had it been eade or smorgan they would have just been like brown and said one liner's that would have just started a back and forth argument. Rose was possibly the only one that would be able to avoid all that.

Remains to be seen I guess. Aker's book will sell out though. As they say, any publicity is good publicity.

I really hope this isn't looked back on as the beginning of the end for the Doggies. I really hope that you guys don't whimper out in 2010 now thanks to this, then slip back down the ladder next year, all because of Brad Johnson. I really hope that doesn't happen.
Our success or failures don't lie with one player. Aker. Or Brad Johnson for that matter. Now get over BJ would you. You won't get any sympathy with your sentiments. Especially on this board.

form at the end by Aker but nobody could ever accuse him of being dishonest or gutless.

Deary me he is winning over the public. We can't even accuse him of being dishonest despite him lying saying he didn't approve his column on gays in football, and then later admitting the article was all him. Half this issue stems from Aka lying. But God forbid we'd accuse him of dishonesty :rolleyes:

Regardless of your disapproval of this remark, you could clearly see Aker was frustrated that someone who wasn't directly involved in the process was on the show to represent the club and instead they sent a pawn to deliver the 'club's stance' on the matter.

Before you all go off tap, 'pawn' I mean in this process or instance only. Rose is a successful businessman and has turned the club around, I don't mistake that and he did well despite the ambush.

However, the club should've perhaps sent Jonno, Eade or Smorgon to front up and tell their side, instead of a bloke who wasn't present when the fatal blow was delivered.

You don't have to like it, but thats my opinion only.

Good luck for the rest of the season, Doggies :thumbsu:

The other way to look at it is this - sure Rose wasn't there yesterday, but as CEO he would have been across everything that lead up to the sacing so maybe was the best placed of the lot?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Rose could have gotten down in the gutter and torn shreds of Aker and Sam and really taken them to town. He is an extremely intelligent man, and people like Sam Newman, Steve Price, Jason Akermanis or anyone you care to line up would not be able to fight it out with him.

All of the dullards that wanted to see Rose list the reasons why Aker was sacked one by one are wasting their time.

The difference between the club and Aker is that the club is happy to keep things in house.

Jeemak, thanks for taking the time to do detailed reports :)

I've always liked the Dogs but you could not possibly have handled this situation worse.

By maintaining a company line and not coming up with rash statements like your president is prone to doing?

Fair enough if you want to push the point that we shouldn't have gone on the show in the first place, but seeing as though we did, how would you have seen us handle it differently?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Footy Show

Remove this Banner Ad

Back