Society/Culture The Gender Pay Gap

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's one for you - has anyone actually tried to justify a pay rise with their manager based on what someone else in your company is getting paid?

If so, how did that go for you?

Conversely, has anyone had any employees trying to justify a pay rise based on the salary of one of their peers?

If so, how did you respond?
I haven't used knowledge of colleagues salaries as justification for a pay rise. I use it as a basis to understand my value to my employer and start negotiating from there.

Look at what you're fighting against. The corporate world has access to HR, legal advice, and they advocate against your best interests to politicians. It's not an equal fight. Why wouldn't you do everything in your power to get the best deal for yourself, even if it includes discussing salaries (shock/horror) and supporting employee advocate groups (like unions)?

And what if he / she / they are not as productive as Scotland in a similar role, and the employer has paid Scotland more on the basis of being more productive?

Trying to simplify it down to 'everyone should be paid the same' is an incredibly simplistic argument, and arguing you should be paid more because they are paid more is a very poor argument to take to an employer to justify your position.

Exactly. So many factors in play.

What if said person goes to the boss and asks for a raise and is knocked back? Do they then resent me knowing I earn more? Resent the boss for saying no?

The person in question negotiated their last salary review pretty recently. So even if they are worth more to the business they would be unlikely to get a raise right now.

Productivity is one thing, timing is another. Jared Polec makes $700k a year, Tyson Stengle would be lucky to make $200k. Everyone right would rather Stengle, and on the open market Stengle is worth more. But that's footy, you sign what you sign when you sign. Regular work is similar. I know people that have moved jobs for huge pay rises and others that have leveraged offers to stay.

Exactly. So many factors in play.

What if said person goes to the boss and asks for a raise and is knocked back? Do they then resent me knowing I earn more? Resent the boss for saying no?

The person in question negotiated their last salary review pretty recently. So even if they are worth more to the business they would be unlikely to get a raise right now.

Productivity is one thing, timing is another. Jared Polec makes $700k a year, Tyson Stengle would be lucky to make $200k. Everyone right would rather Stengle, and on the open market Stengle is worth more. But that's footy, you sign what you sign when you sign. Regular work is similar. I know people that have moved jobs for huge pay rises and others that have leveraged offers to stay.
And stengle will be getting a lot more when he renegotiates his contract. He may even ask for it to be done before it expires. Players have done that before.

So yes you would commit a crime. Its illegal for you to penalise an employee for talking about their wage. You are not above the law.
You can disagree with it all you want. it doesnt change the fact its a workplace crime. and for very good reason.

your attitudes are wrong and need to change.
You are incorrect.

It is legal for employers to include pay secrecy clauses in employment contracts. Similarly, if you sign an employment contract whereby you commit to abide to company policy, and disclosure of salary is prohibited as per your company policy, you will similarly face the requisite disciplinary action.

It is Australian law only to which I refer. I am not across the laws in other countries and acknowledge they may vary.

However, a vast majority of BigFooty users are based in Australia.

And stengle will be getting a lot more when he renegotiates his contract. He may even ask for it to be done before it expires. Players have done that before.

You can disagree with it all you want. it doesnt change the fact its a workplace crime. and for very good reason.

your attitudes are wrong and need to change.

You might want to re-check your legal advice on this one Seeds, probably don't go around telling people what is or isn't legal or a crime when you don't actually know the answer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dont think anyone is taking their legal advice from bigfooty are they?

'your honour, bigfooty told me this was legal'
It's not really the point.

If you're going to accuse someone of committing a crime, regardless of the medium, you'd want to be pretty sure of your facts.

Seeds, care you revoke your earlier posts, or at least edit them?

I can't believe I'm having to explain to people why it's not a great thing to be discussing one another's salaries in a corporate environment.

BigFooty really is a very different world to the one in which I operate.
You’re not though. You’re just going around in a circle explaining why going into a meeting with your boss and saying ‘Jamie makes more then me I want a raise’ is a bad idea. Nobody is arguing that.

Seriously, why are you so against employees sharing their salaries to the point you believe they should be fired? Do you think knowing how much someone else makes is going to bring a company to bankruptcy from jealousy? Completely lost as to why you have such a hard take on this.

I am a senior manager and discussed salaries with a junior manager in my group and she was on nearly as much as me despite doing far less work and with far less responsibility and many years fewer experience.

I started looking for a new job while saying to my boss that I needed a significant payrise. Ive now had 2 good payrises and 2 good bonuses to boost my pay significantly.

Im a big fan of knowing what people are on. I am very aware of the work which is done in my group so knowing salaries is a key part of deciding if the pay is reasonable.

Seriously, why are you so against employees sharing their salaries to the point you believe they should be fired? Do you think knowing how much someone else makes is going to bring a company to bankruptcy from jealousy? Completely lost as to why you have such a hard take on this.
I'm correctly pointing out that people would want to check their employment contracts and company policy before having discussions of this nature.

I'm correctly pointing out that people would want to check their employment contracts and company policy before having discussions of this nature.

Companies put all sorts of things in contracts. Doesnt mean its legal.

Non compete clauses are commonplace yet almost never enforceable through the courts.

I worked with a guy who quit his senior role and took his entire team and their clients to the competitor. There were talks about lawyers but I never heard any more than that.

Funny thing is a few years later my company bought out the other company and he came back, with most of that team.

If there was serious anger at what he had done I would think they would have retrenched him rather than bring him back.

And my contract has an appropriate internet usage section, yet I'm here typing on BigFooty.

Regardless, you have said in your other posts that if someone came up to you to talk about their salary you would seek for them to be fired. Why is it such a massive deal for you personally that you would feel the need to do that? You've said what good can come from it, well look 2 posts above and someone has outlined how they used that information to find a better job that pays what they deserve. Nobody is getting jealous because someone is being paid 1-2k more, it's when they are getting 20k more doing the same role. It really does just feel like you are an employer who has this policy yourself because you are ripping of your employees.

Companies put all sorts of things in contracts. Doesnt mean its legal.

Non compete clauses are commonplace yet almost never enforceable through the courts.
Rubbish. Companies (generally) wouldn't intentionally include illegal clauses in their contracts.

These two examples - pay secrecy and non-compete clauses - are certainly both legal. The question is how vigorously the company decides to enforce the clause in the event of a breach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture The Gender Pay Gap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back