Autopsy The good, the bad and the oh dear v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought we had plenty of intensity and effort today.. def an improvement.
My big take on today, was the game was lost between the 20min mark of the first qtr and 15 min of the 2nd qtr when st.kilda kicked 6 goals straight. Thought Xerri’s tap work during this period was atrocious, grabbing the ball or clubbing it to no one… not attempting to create any cohesion with the smaller midfielders. We put Larkey in the middle as our ruckman and he got us back on track. We have multiple coaches and Damien Monkhorst who need to tell X to cut the crap out and start working towards helping his team mates

Last edited:

Saints fans genuinely have to be some of the weirdest campaigners in the league. Always amazes me how their fans can have such a big club mentality when they are one of the least successful professional sporting teams of all time.

As for the game itself thought we were better today despite the score - showed a bit more fight and heads didn't drop. Not happy, but happier.

Saints fans genuinely have to be some of the weirdest campaigners in the league. Always amazes me how their fans can have such a big club mentality when they are one of the least successful professional sporting teams of all time.

As for the game itself thought we were better today despite the score - showed a bit more fight and heads didn't drop. Not happy, but happier.

I’ve also appreciated our players flying the flag re: Webster.

General play I was really happy with.
Stupid 50’s again though. Meh.
A good game.

Post game thoughts
  • Wardlaw's best game for the club? Not necessarily reflected in the stat sheet, but the intensity absolutely lifted his team mates. Love to see it.
  • Pink as the sub? Ridiculous. Pink as a forward? ... weirdly worked well! Give him a full game up forward next week!
  • Stephenson, I've defended him a lot in years past. But nah. It's over.
  • McKercher a great kick and love his effort. But a few too many times he was very much exposed as too skinny in defense. We gotta play him on a wing or HBF at worst. If he's deep in a pocket 1 on 1, our defensive structure has failed.
  • Corr was... okay today!
  • Xerri tries his guts out and is useful around the ground, but his tap-work still kills our midfield at times.
  • Powell pretty quiet game. 17 touches but I don't remember any particularly impactful ones.
  • Larkey finished the game strongly but had some absolute atrociously weak efforts today. Needs to cut them out of his game and stop playing for frees.
  • Drury has good intensity.
  • Jackson Archer actually cares, which is nice.
  • Comben started really strong in defense in his first game, but feel like he's fallen off a little in recent weeks.
  • I'd much rather Hardeman and Archer, and no more Luke McDonald.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That game was a real mixed bag. I liked the effort. Wardlaw is my new favourite player (just kidding ily Eddie even if Clarko apparently doesn't). Pink in the forward line actually looked reasonable.

But **** we are so bad at basic football ability, and it's still the grown-ups who are the main problem. Larkey especially had a STINKER. And I am worried that Duursma is checked out - not that I blame him, this must be a traumatic experience as an 18-year-old forward used to dominating games. Comben/Archer both looked great but had injury scares that I'm not sure we got conclusions on. Those things all worry me greatly...

We can see that we have two actual defenders going forward that we can build the back six around:

(Dawson) (Logue) Archer
???? Comben (Goater)

We can see the nucleus of the midfield going forward and it doesn’t need to include some of the mids we have relied upon in the past:

Xerri Wardlaw (vc) Sheezel (c)
Scott McKercher (Ford)

You can’t really judge anything of the forwards with so little supply:

???? ????? ?????
Curtis Larkey ????

The rest are unproven, depth or dead-wood for mine which indicates how far we are from being competitive.

That game was a real mixed bag. I liked the effort. Wardlaw is my new favourite player (just kidding ily Eddie even if Clarko apparently doesn't). Pink in the forward line actually looked reasonable.

But * we are so bad at basic football ability, and it's still the grown-ups who are the main problem. Larkey especially had a STINKER. And I am worried that Duursma is checked out - not that I blame him, this must be a traumatic experience as an 18-year-old forward used to dominating games. Comben/Archer both looked great but had injury scares that I'm not sure we got conclusions on. Those things all worry me greatly...
Yep, get him in the twos. Get him to put on 5kgs of muscle by February and get him some confidence kicking bags for fun in the vfl.

Tackles inside 50 : them 15, us zero, kind of illustrates how easy it is for opposition to exit our forward line, every friggin time :mad:
Well when you refuse to draft or play pressure forwards, that’s what happens.

We were better with Phoenix and Turner in the side last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy The good, the bad and the oh dear v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back