Opinion The Hawkins Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What now for Hawkins?

Where are all of Tomahacks supporters this week?
He was abysmal yesterday. Had midfielders targeting him all day and in response failed...again. He'd get a handball...dance on the spot then find the one player around him that was under the pump and give it off resulting in turnovers...again. The only time he looks good is when he's within 5 metres of goal and on the end of a gimme. The few occasions he gets a mark on a lead you can bank of him either; a) handing it off to either a guy under pressure or missing him with the handball completely. b) wheeling around, falling over and losing possession. c) wheeling around shanking a kick and turning it over. d) playing on without any idea what he's doing and getting caught holding the ball. Good ol Tommy managed to accomplish all of those feats on Sunday.

If he's going to be effective he needs to get on the end of one of those pin point passes and STOP! Walk back...take the kick. Good chance it'll be a run of the mill helicopter that he's mastered but that's where Stevie J, Gazza, and even Monty will pounce.
No doubt we'll play him again next week against the best team in the comp. It's a real shame we're up against a side that can beat us when we play with 17 men.

Who do you think we should play instead, bearing in mind he's the best long term option we have, and we need to get games into him?

I thought he was pretty good first half yesterday, was a bit quiet after half time.

Went on some really good leads, and took some good marks. Just has to go back and kick it when he gets within 55ish, hes not mobile enough to be like Stevie J and wheel around and play on.

In fairness i think most of the delivery to Hawkins was pretty poor.

When Hawkins gets a head of steam up, it is the midfielders job to hit him, not his job to stop and prop and try and judge a mis weighted kick...

And i think he is the safest sliding chest mark in the game..

The very fact that Shannon Byrnes can kick 9 goals in two weeks, largely from a wing, shows that Geelong is not playing the game in a conventional matter.

This does make it hard for key forwards.
But it also makes it hard for defenders.
Usually the defence knows who its going to (eg. Carlton go to Fev, Brisbane to Brown/Bradshaw, Saints to Riewoldt/Kossie)
But for Geelong, the spread of goalkickers is great. Guys like Byrnes, Bartel, Ablett and Rooke are capable of chipping two or so goals a week, plus the 3 main targets, Mooney, Hawkins and S.Johnson. The opposition never know where the goals will come from.

When Hawkins gets a head of steam up, it is the midfielders job to hit him, not his job to stop and prop and try and judge a mis weighted kick...

I agree, last two quarters especially there were a few that went too wide, might have been the wind....

This does make it hard for key forwards.
But it also makes it hard for defenders.
Usually the defence knows who its going to (eg. Carlton go to Fev, Brisbane to Brown/Bradshaw, Saints to Riewoldt/Kossie)
But for Geelong, the spread of goalkickers is great. Guys like Byrnes, Bartel, Ablett and Rooke are capable of chipping two or so goals a week, plus the 3 main targets, Mooney, Hawkins and S.Johnson. The opposition never know where the goals will come from.

I actually think that has been one of our strengths. Johnson was our man early in the season, teams spent time trying to defend against him, and now Brynes is stepping up. Only a matter of time before Chapman or Stokes gets on a winning role, not to mention Ablett and Bartel regularly chipping in.

Cannot see why he cannot be moved to another position when the team is well in front. Some place like CHB or CHF so he can get his hands on the ball a little bit more often. Just experience being away from FF - where there is less space to operate in. Needs a run away from trying to be a goal kicker all the time. Nothing really lost if he was moved to another position, like last game, if he moves away from the FF position, where he is doing little. Needs time, some space and confidence. FF is a bad place to get confidence.

It's all about confidence, unlike some **cough** Blake... he has talent and all he needs is time. When he starts getting confidence he will demand more of the ball and start nailing set shots. He'll be mint in a few years trrrrruuuuusssssst.

TC:eek:

My general impression of Hawkins on Sunday (live) was pretty good. He is much more mobile and quicker than I thought, played further up the ground than I expected and did some great lead up work. His first half was good.
In the second there were at least three occasions where he had to reach one arm out at the last second just to get to the ball because the delivery was off. He's OK and ready for a breakout game I reckon. Goal kicking the only negative at the moment for mine but that goes for a few others too.

He was very good on the lead on Sunday. The way he lead up the middle of the ground was Mooney like (whilst Mooney was quiet).
Hawkins kicking is clearly his biggest issue, he has not really had a full preseason and given time he will be a solid forward for a ling time.
I guess the thing is we want and need him to be performing now because we are in our premiership window so hopefully by finals time he will be going better than he is now.

I am up for trying 3 pronged tall forward line (Mooney, Hawkins, Lonergon/Laidler/McKenna?/Brown/Ottens when hes fit next year) in good weather.

Couldnt hurt.

Ah Renegade, the trolling tool who just won't quit. The contests that this kid creates, taking two guys out and bringing the ball to ground is exceptional. Notice how well our small forwards have been playing of late? I suppose they do it all themselves huh?

FFS he's a kid, get off his back.

Since when do they have two guys hanging off Hawkins? Everyone knows he's no threat to do anything, so why would any team bother? Bringing the ball to ground? C'mon that's a way to cover up the fact he's next to useless in a marking contest unless it's knee high and he can slide into it. Did you notice the lame one handed attempts in the second half yesterday? At least PRETEND to look like you're trying!
Trying to suggest our small forwards are in form thanks to Hawkins is beyond hilarious :D
Good to see Scarlett bark at him a few times on Sunday when his stuff ups resulted in Port goals. Someone needs to have a go at him. Clearly he gets the 'oh he's just a kid' benefit too often. It's AFL football....either stand up or go back to the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he had a pretty good game on the weekend. He needs alot more confidence in himself and has kicking though. After he sprayed a few early he looked to pass of or play on every time. He needs to be instructed to back himself and take the shot. Its the only way to improve.

Delivery to Tomahawk and Moons was terrible on sunday. To many times it was a half volley to Mooneys ankles or over Tomahawks head. Hes a big unit with a decent leap how on earth do they manage to kick it over his head?

Yep. That was also my summation.

Since when do they have two guys hanging off Hawkins? Everyone knows he's no threat to do anything, so why would any team bother? Bringing the ball to ground? C'mon that's a way to cover up the fact he's next to useless in a marking contest unless it's knee high and he can slide into it. Did you notice the lame one handed attempts in the second half yesterday? At least PRETEND to look like you're trying!
Trying to suggest our small forwards are in form thanks to Hawkins is beyond hilarious :D
Good to see Scarlett bark at him a few times on Sunday when his stuff ups resulted in Port goals. Someone needs to have a go at him. Clearly he gets the 'oh he's just a kid' benefit too often. It's AFL football....either stand up or go back to the VFL.

I do not think Geelong has a better option (with the players they have at present) than Hawkins as a KP forward - so Geelong has adopted the most sensible strategy going forward - just play him. The guy is big and quite strong - so perhaps, over time, he will mature into a true forward target.

However good Gamble turns out to be - it is not the same as having a big unit in the goal square for the bail out option going into the forward line if no one else is free or in space.

People had written off Byrnes however he has proved with hard work and the right attitude you can still make progress over a few years and pre-seasons. Why cannot this be the case with Hawkins ?

Worst game yet. Told you playing with him was playing like a man short. ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!!!
Bomber costs us the game by keeping this useless hack out there. Just like he had faith in another under performer in Stokes in last years GF. Play the guys that deserve a game! Tommahack isn't what you all think he'll be, he's overhyped garbage!
Two flags down the drain in two years if Bomber keeps this trash up.

yeah not a great day for big tommy in the first half the kicking into the 50 was shocking due deference pressure and just bad kicking.really there is no other option than hawkins but could be put back to the VFL for a few weeks and come back fresher and ready to tear it apart

It has dawned on me that Hawkins is lacking a critical ingredient... a football brain.

He can mark, kick, handball and tackle better than Tom Lonergan, but he sure as hell doesn't know when to lead, where to lead, or how to stay in front of his man. So many times the ball went forward, and he simply wasn't there!

Worst game I have seen Hawkins play. He either needs to go back to school in the twos (might upset Pods) or be given a new role - perhaps CHB or CHF. Needs more space, experience and a more destructive attitude.

I agree, I'd rather have Lonergan or Gamble in there who will actually contest the ball and put pressure on. Hawkins was completely overawed by the day and he lost it. I am not concerned long term, I still think Hawkins will be a good player for us. Tommahawk will learn a lot from today. Like when you play a great opposition you cant expect the ball to just magically land on your chest. You have to create your own luck. Also the lack of Stevie J really highlighted how Hawkins may have been a little protected in the forward line. Tom needs to find the killer instinct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Hawkins Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back