Opinion The Hawkins Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What now for Hawkins?

I'm guessing that he smacked you in the playground once and you've never gotten over it. Pretty clear Hawkins is no hack even if he isn't yet an SJ or a Mooney. Coaching staff think he has great potential which is all that counts really.

Actually at the end of the day that means bugger all. The only thing people will remember is how he performed on the field.

Actually at the end of the day that means bugger all. The only thing people will remember is how he performed on the field.
No kidding. Point is Hawkins is still learning the game and has the backing of the peole who count while he does. Ready-made stars like Selwood are few and far between, Hawkins is showing enough at this stage of his development to warrant perserverance.

Things I Have an Opinion About, by ScottyDeewah:

• In my opinion fairies are real and live at the bottom of my garden.
  • In my opinion we dont really breath air, we breath chocolate.
  • In my opinion Miranda Kerr is a minger and should be shot for being so ugly.
  • In my opinion Garry Ablett Snr is the worst player to every play for Geelong, bar none.
  • In my opinion the world is flat.
  • In my opinion the world was created 6000 years ago and dinosaurs bones were put here to trick us by a prankster god.
  • Tomohawk should never play another AFL game again.
Nobody can can call into question my opinion. It is like my faith, completely untouchable no matter if my logic is flawed and my reasoning ridiculous.

Cheers
Scotty

He said there were good signs in forward Tom Hawkins' performance on Sunday against Essendon."He was nearly close last week to grabbing a few (marks) and kicking a few goals," Thompson said.
"We're confident that we can manage him and get him up and teach him to play a very important role in our team."

Hey Renegade, we can add the Coach to people who think you're a doosh!

It means he lacks the skills to be able to pull those kinda plays off. It would be better if he went back and had a shot for goal...but then you encounter his inability to kick. But hey, at least he's a 'target' right? :rolleyes:

Actually his field kicking is pretty damn good and always has been. Think back to his first few games, he spot up players in the forward 50 twice spinning onto his left against Richmond in 07.

Confidence and form is variable, talent and ability is not. Have some patience and give them a chance to align.

He said there were good signs in forward Tom Hawkins' performance on Sunday against Essendon."He was nearly close last week to grabbing a few (marks) and kicking a few goals," Thompson said.
"We're confident that we can manage him and get him up and teach him to play a very important role in our team."

Hey Renegade, we can add the Coach to people who think you're a doosh!

HAHAHAHAHHA that's quite possibly the best thing i've ever read! :D :thumbsu:

"Nearly close to grabbing a few marks and kicking a few goals"

You could put an Auskick kid out there and i bet he'd go close to grabbing a few marks too. So we're at the stage that we don't expect Hawkins to actually take a mark or kick a goal......we're just content that he is lingering somewhere in the vicinity of the contest a few times a game?
I guess asking a 197cm, 105kg footballer to actually stand up and perform is a bit over the top...silly me, what was i thinking!

Okay Renegade mate I can explain it to you again as you dont seem to understand.

Name the key position forward we will replace Hawkins with if we are to drop him from the side.

Until there is a suitable replacement I think, this board thinks and the coach thinks we should stick with Hawkins. You dont and you are entitled to this opinion as stupid, pointless, baseless and wrong as it is.

Stick with the kid, will be a gun. He has a massive heart, you can easily see it whenever he tackles. This is something we need, a FF who can tackle and chase, not just someone that lacks the passion and can sit on the end of a kick from Jnr, Corey, Bartel or Selwood.

HAHAHAHAHHA that's quite possibly the best thing i've ever read! :D :thumbsu:

"Nearly close to grabbing a few marks and kicking a few goals"

You could put an Auskick kid out there and i bet he'd go close to grabbing a few marks too. So we're at the stage that we don't expect Hawkins to actually take a mark or kick a goal......we're just content that he is lingering somewhere in the vicinity of the contest a few times a game?
I guess asking a 197cm, 105kg footballer to actually stand up and perform is a bit over the top...silly me, what was i thinking!

Short memory or attention span? A few years back the skills of some of the stars of Geelong 07/08 were as bad as you now see at (eg) Melb, and worse than Hawkins is currently showing. Poor kicking, turnovers, poor tackling, poor decisions-making was commonplace. A lot of us were tearing our hair out. But perseverance, support and a new professionalism down at the Cattery made them into the players they now are. Using your 'logic' we would have given them all the boot before they 'got there'.

I think Renegade just likes to take contrary positions in order to rile people up. A troll, if you will.

Give the lad time. He's still just 20 and growing into that massive frame of his, not to mention that our game plan does not rely on a single monster up forward in the mould of a Carlton or Hawthorn. We're a sharing and caring mob and at this point, a Gorilla FF is not always going to have the ball shoved down his throat. He's bound to inconsistent at this stage of his career.

People seem to have forgotten his great games against Brisbane and Sydney already!

Things I Have an Opinion About, by ScottyDeewah:

• In my opinion fairies are real and live at the bottom of my garden.
  • In my opinion we dont really breath air, we breath chocolate.
  • In my opinion Miranda Kerr is a minger and should be shot for being so ugly.
  • In my opinion Garry Ablett Snr is the worst player to every play for Geelong, bar none.
  • In my opinion the world is flat.
  • In my opinion the world was created 6000 years ago and dinosaurs bones were put here to trick us by a prankster god.
  • Tomohawk should never play another AFL game again.
Nobody can can call into question my opinion. It is like my faith, completely untouchable no matter if my logic is flawed and my reasoning ridiculous.

Cheers
Scotty

I disagree with your opinions their scotty. But I still don't feel the need to direct animosity at you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:D I'll pay that.

Based on this asertion Lonergan should be miles ahead of Hawkins considering the games Lonners has spend "developing" in the VFL.

Lonergan was given a decent run at it last year (with some poor performances along the way) and couldn't take his opportunity. No-one could say Lonergan wasn't given a fair go, why can't Hawkins be afford the same luxury?

Last year lonergan was coming back from a life threating injury, if you remember, and has had to build his body again.
He will and has prooved himself down back, and as is confidence grows, may be an alternative up forward in the future.
This year he's stronger looking for sure.

His marking was very good tonight. Kicking for goal was better too. Looks to be on the improve again! He just needs to find some consistency in his game, so hopefully we don't drop him any time soon. Can't see that happening though.

Hawkins you big little beauty. :D He's making all the nay sayers, negative nancies and bitter and jealous opposition trolls eat their words.

How can anyone doubt this kid's only destiny is greatness is beyond me. :eek: ;) Specially Geelong supporters they should know better than the rival trolls licking their lips to see Hawkins fail to live up to his potential. :rolleyes:

His marking was very good tonight. Kicking for goal was better too. Looks to be on the improve again! He just needs to find some consistency in his game, so hopefully we don't drop him any time soon. Can't see that happening though.

yes that right we all wish he got find little more consistency.instead of seeing him get the pill once or twice a quarter.l think he has been quiet good his 2nd and 3 rd efforts have been great his little gives to smaller forward have been good to After the game they interviewed bomber they asked about hawkins. he said something about going 2 ways with him.One was if he kicks no goals he could get dropped and the other was he going to stay in and give him time l belive bomber said his staying in

Poor Rennisgade is gonna be pissed Hawkins had a good game.

It was better than what he's done recently. Just need it to be consistent, it's all well and good to kick a few early goals against West Coast, i'd like to know that he could do it against teams we're going to have to fight hard against.

Why would i be pissed if he played well? We all want to have a team playing well and winning, and winning a flag is going to require Hawkins or whoever it is in that position playing well. After last season we know what happens if there are any passengers out there, and none of us want to go through that again.

It was better than what he's done recently. Just need it to be consistent, it's all well and good to kick a few early goals against West Coast, i'd like to know that he could do it against teams we're going to have to fight hard against.

Why would i be pissed if he played well? We all want to have a team playing well and winning, and winning a flag is going to require Hawkins or whoever it is in that position playing well. After last season we know what happens if there are any passengers out there, and none of us want to go through that again.

I thought they had to fight pretty hard last night - the ball wasn't delivered as well at times as it has been in the past (for the most part anyway). Just look at Dog's and Mooney's game, it looked like they had to work to get the ball.

Thought the forward line lacked a tad without Max too.

I think everyone agrees that Tom needs to be more consistent. Hell I'm sure he'd tell you that himself. What we might be disagreeing about is how to get it, and I can't see how he can become more consistent against better backlines by playing in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Hawkins Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back