Opinion The Hawkins Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What now for Hawkins?

Just all need to chill a bit. Had a horrid game, but I'm happy to take the good with the bad, and there were some worse problems in the game (ie. ruck). No one will be more dissappointed than Tom himself. He will bounce back.

And bring in who that is the question?

The only option is Lonergan.

What if Johnson is still not available next week?

Are you serious??!! :confused:

Ever heard of a player called Gamble?

As far as I'm concerned, today was a day where our selectors were found out, big time. Why on earth do they persist with a player who is clearly out of form and doesn't give you any reason to keep him in the side?

As far as bringing in the new guy for SJ. Another big mistake! Obviously the saints have pace to burn so why the hell wouldn't you bring in Wojo? He has the experience and the pace.

Our selectors really do leave me shaking my head sometimes.

Our boys were found wanting today. They were slow and no where near crisp with their disposal. They lacked desperation and were not hard at the ball like the saints.

Lastly, drop both Mooney and Tom because they're clearly lacking confidence. Mooney is on his last legs and we need a replacement for him asap.

Just all need to chill a bit. Had a horrid game, but I'm happy to take the good with the bad, and there were some worse problems in the game (ie. ruck). No one will be more dissappointed than Tom himself. He will bounce back.

Need to come down from up in the clouds there pal. He's been shite for weeks.

What irks me the most is that every poster on here has a go at the kid, then on the other hand raises how poorly we kick it into our forward 50.

Often today we'd kick it high and hard hoping for a contest. Every time that happened we had Hawkins 3 v 1. Not even Lockett or the best forward ever is going to win that contest.

I just wish people would have common sense and see that. Unfortunately common sense isn't that common.

No other options, simple as that. The end reward for a few lean games will be great. One loss is not the end of the world, and we will be better for it. Why don't we all go headhunt Blake and Mumford instead.

Ever heard of a player called Gamble?

As far as I'm concerned, today was a day where our selectors were found out, big time. Why on earth do they persist with a player who is clearly out of form and doesn't give you any reason to keep him in the side?

As far as bringing in the new guy for SJ. Another big mistake! Obviously the saints have pace to burn so why the hell wouldn't you bring in Wojo? He has the experience and the pace.

Our selectors really do leave me shaking my head sometimes.

Our boys were found wanting today. They were slow and no where near crisp with their disposal. They lacked desperation and were not hard at the ball like the saints.

Lastly, drop both Mooney and Tom because they're clearly lacking confidence. Mooney is on his last legs and we need a replacement for him asap.

Wow.

Lets drop everyone while we are at it. Once again who is going to replace the key forwards? The boogie man?

Maybe we can go down the bulldogs road of small forwards.

You know injury does have an effect on who is available and it did this week as well.

As much as I love gamble he can not play Hawkins role and in fact he has not shown much better form in the games he has played this year.

God I hate when Geelong lose a game everyone acts like the sky is falling.

What an insane comment. Are you completely nuts?

What irks me the most is that every poster on here has a go at the kid, then on the other hand raises how poorly we kick it into our forward 50.

Often today we'd kick it high and hard hoping for a contest. Every time that happened we had Hawkins 3 v 1. Not even Lockett or the best forward ever is going to win that contest.

I just wish people would have common sense and see that. Unfortunately common sense isn't that common.

It does seem to be like that.

The midfielders while they are great sometimes lack in their ability to get the ball into the forward line cleanly. And today they were very cramped for space to get of clean delivery. I would say this was also the case for the last few weeks.

I wanted to point that out before to the person sho said he is no where near the ball and has no football brain. Sometimes it is not is fault. He could make the best leads in the world but someone has to first get it on his chest.

well I think you are being a bit simplistic in your criticism of most posters on this topic of Hawkins game today. There were a number times I seen where Hawkins had his back to the ball while it was being kicked in to the 50 and when he seen it he was unable to make any position to contest the ball. The fact that Bomber took him from the ground and put a defender in there really speaks spades.

But as I said above. Tom is still young and I think he was just over awed by the game and atmosphere. It's a learning curve for him. Better he faces that now than in the GF.

What now? The VFL beckons is what's now. Unfortunately it's not working at this stage, he's had a long enough stint, send him back for some touch and confidence and don't recall him until he's earnt it this time.

For someone who said Mooney should be dropped too, you must be on crack, IMO I thought he played a pretty good game today, he did what he does, competed hard, made contests, crashed into packs either locking the ball in or making sure the Saints couldn't rebound it out and may have got his goal kicking mojo back with those 2 long goals. (fingers crossed on that one)

l am a Hawkins fan but right now he isnt doing enough and has had long enough. On form we need to give him a spell. Bring Gamble in (and with SJ and Otto) back in the side we will be very well placed to go all the way.

Tom (and Mitch Brown) can come good for us long term. But we need to win this flag.

Pressure football. The build-up was huge; Stevie's a late withdrawl. Hawkins needed to step up, but faultered. Badly. Not the first time such pressure has gotten to a player, will never be the last.

But I'd keep him in there. For now. A shove to the VFL may just see off whatever confidence he has left in his soul and his ability. It wouldn't do anyone any favours. Two to three weeks and then if it's all over red rover, he makes way for Gamble (who, if smart, will be gung-ho, savage and oh so sweet in the VFL), and never returns this year. Injuries or no injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gamble>>>>>>>Lonergan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hawkins.

Gamble and Lonergan actually contest the ball...and when they do take it they're a decent set shot. A bag of sawdust strategically placed in the forward line would cause more problems for opposition defenders than Tommahack.
He needs at least 10 weeks in the VFL before he should be considered again regardless of what he does. He's just not cut out for the AFL..yet.

lol gamble

isn't that that small'ish forward who doesn't take his opportunities when he gets them

Better goal kicking average than Tommahack.
Who says we need another big forward anyway? Teams like the Bulldogs have done just fine without even one.

Mooney was great today IMO.

I thought some of the kicks to Hawkins were un-Geelong like. He had to contest three on one in a number of situations.

Having said that I'm not sure he leads hard enough or to the correct spots.

I'm guessing he is under instruction to play deep and to drag attention away from Cam.

lol

tommahack gud1!

um bulldogs have done fine, but haven't won a premiership have they idiot

Yeah it was a 'gud1' wasn't it.
Welcome to 2009. You don't need a tall forward line to kick goals. Not like we've kicked many this year from Mooney and Tommahack.

lol

tommahack gud1!

um bulldogs have done fine, but haven't won a premiership have they idiot

Yes they have. 55 years ago. You have a short memory.

I agree with you. I recon we should send Hawkins back to the twos and give Gamble a run for a few weeks.

As others have said, a key position forward isn't going to work very well in our structure. We have some very good small forwards and our mids kick goals.

Yup, and Gamble is more than competent at ground level. Hawkins can only get the ball if it's delivered to him on a pin point pass. Gamble can actually go and get the football when it's up for grabs. Unlike Hawkins who somehow manages to fall over and then stumbles around like he's been on a 12 hour bender.

Better goal kicking average than Tommahack.
Who says we need another big forward anyway? Teams like the Bulldogs have done just fine without even one.

Where is this better goal average because it is not from this year.

If you are talking about there careers then he has a whopping .1 advantage over Hawkins without having to take one of the best defenders to get them.

As I have said I like Gamble as a player but this year he has done little with his chances and can not play Hawkins role in the team.

Where is this better goal average because it is not from this year.

If you are talking about there careers then he has a whopping .1 advantage over Hawkins without having to take one of the best defenders to get them.

As I have said I like Gamble as a player but this year he has done little with his chances and can not play Hawkins role in the team.

Hawkins can't even play Hawkins role! Worst case scenario is that Gamble does nothing...which is what we're getting from Hawkins already.

And Gamble has already done next to nothing in his games this year.

While Hawkins is not kicking the goals he is getting his hand on the ball (and yes falling over to some extent) but he is also making opportunities for others to kick goals.

He is contributing to 2.2 goals each week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Hawkins Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back