The Importance Of A Tap Ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

What was severely lacking last night, was the huddle of Blake and your mids, discussing strategy of where he was going to tap the ball.

The game is long past someone who can only ruck, he needs to provide a target and impose himself on the game.

People keep repeating this but I'm yet to really see much evidence that this is the case.

The last three premiership ruck parings have been Brad Ottens/Mark Blake, Robert Campbell/ Brent Renouf and Brad Ottens/Steven King. Only Ottens would be known (at the time of the flags) as a great around-the-ground ruckman.

In the last three GFs, only 1 goal has been kicked by a ruckman, only one ruckman has gained 15 or more possessions and no ruckman has had 5 tackles.

Sure Cox was integral to West Coast's flag but he was a superstar at the time. Keep in mind that Mark Seaby was used by WC as a second ruck. Ball in 2005 was pretty much a sole tap ruckman.

I would say that of the 9 most recent premiership ruckmen, at least 4 have been players "who can only ruck". This doesn't really suggest that "the game is long past" these types of players.

Trent West in the only answer for the 2nd ruckman. why he was dropped is beyond commonsense. Hawkins was a real weak link in the team structure last night. Trent West, ig given the chance, could blossom by the finals - & kick the odd goal as well. he is the future.

What was severely lacking last night, was the huddle of Blake and your mids, discussing strategy of where he was going to tap the ball.
Hope you're not being facetious, but I think that is spot on. Blake can almost do that at will. Can be priceless.

Trent West in the only answer for the 2nd ruckman. why he was dropped is beyond commonsense. Hawkins was a real weak link in the team structure last night. Trent West, ig given the chance, could blossom by the finals - & kick the odd goal as well. he is the future.
Yep, he is the future with Blake, after Ottens retires end season.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Importance Of A Tap Ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back