Toast The mature Cameron Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

This is an important contribution that very few players on our list are capable of doing. With Fev being our #1 go to man, we need a big body to get in the way of those who want to double or triple team Fev. Until we get another quality, big bodied player who can actually get out on the field regularly, Cloke is going to be very important in our forward line. If he can kick 30+ goals this season, which I can see him doing, we will definitely play finals.

Agreee it was an important contribution (which is why I mentioned it) and something the coaching staff has worked on as a set play.

Not sure you need to be KPP size to block a defender, almost any other player could do the same and give Fev the the 1 or 2 meters extra distance between him and his opponent.

The tactic was good, the implementation not so difficult.

I thought Cloke was serviceable without being brilliant, He will get better at his role and will share with Kreuzer who wont be run off as easy.

Maybe he just needed a "good swift kick in the ass" to get him concentrating more and now we might see him mature also.:):thumbsu:

I can't see him lasting the year in the seniors. He is way too slow, teams will hurt us playing off him. He's a battler at best.
Even last night he was being run off by his opponent, but it's easy to gloss over it when the opposition are that crap. His only hope is to drift forward after ruck contests and create a mismatch in the forward line - otherwise he needs to be benched. As a permanent forward he'll kill us.

When Cam Cloke kicks 8 in a game against Geelong maybe you can start to compare them.

Hale is also a moster when compared to Cloke ( about 7cm taller ).

Cloke was not good tonight.....he did contribute, but he was not good although he gave Fev a couple of nice blocks to free him up on the lead.

& that my friend, is exactly what he is needed for. clearing a path & bringing it down to the small forwards. if he can chip in with 2-3 goals that'd be even better.
will get better at it, needs to keep pressure on so he's not getting rebounded off by his man to often.

ctacp
curlier than a catoggio pube

Even last night he was being run off by his opponent, but it's easy to gloss over it when the opposition are that crap. His only hope is to drift forward after ruck contests and create a mismatch in the forward line - otherwise he needs to be benched. As a permanent forward he'll kill us.
and replaced by......

Like I have kept saying on these boards Cloke is a player we need. I would go as far as to say he is a key for us. A big boy who likes to hit the packs hard. He might not be the most talented but when he does things he gives it 110%. Mark my words he is going to be playing at CHF, he can bring the ball down and we have some serious talent in our small forwards to make the most of Clokey. :thumbsu:

and replaced by......
Vacancy
Professional position paying attractive salary. Must be prepared to run all day, be quick enough to consistently have a metre on opponents, and to apply defensive pressure. Also requires sure hands, accurate kicking and the ability to bring others into play.

Send applications to:

Wayne Hughes
Carlton Football Club
PO Box 83
North Carlton 3054

No chokers please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still only the first pre season match of the 2009 year.
It will take a little while for Clokey to work it out with Fev.
They seemed to have a better understanding as the game wore on and I'm sure if Clokey is left there this will a good combination. He hasnt really played as a permanent CHF before and he will only get better As they say CHF is the hardest position to play

Vacancy
Professional position paying attractive salary. Must be prepared to run all day, be quick enough to consistently have a metre on opponents, and to apply defensive pressure. Also requires sure hands, accurate kicking and the ability to bring others into play.

Send applications to:

Wayne Hughes
Carlton Football Club
PO Box 83
North Carlton 3054

No chokers please.

How can Pav ignore the perfect job description? :thumbsu:

Stevo was right and trying to re-enforce the game plan......Bentley was a mile in the clear 45m out straight in front and Cam ignored him at took a long shot from 60 out that fell unsurprisingly short.....passing was an option that most players would take 99% of the time.

Stevo and Cam kissed and made up as they walked off.

I like a senior player to get stuck into teammates if they ignore team plans, This was not a skill error but an isolated act of selfishness.
I wholeheartedly endorse senior players reinforcing the game plan when the game is there to be won, don't get me wrong. We all blasted Fev when he did something similar in season 2007 vs Freo at Subi oval. But when the sting is gone from the game and the opposition are ready to have the fork stuck in them, I don't think it's a bad thing to be a little selfish. Would anyone be complaining if Cloke put the shot through for a 9 pointer? No...

In the microcosm of the game, Stevo's rant was pointless.

He works hard to get the best out of himself, but quite simply he's not good enough. The same issues still remain as a ruckman - not tall enough, as a KPP too slow and immobile.
That said, I do hope he proves me wrong because I admire his effort.

He tried his heart out. Can't ask for anymore. At least we've got a big presence at the CHF spot to crash into a few bodies.

He wont be there for long though. Hope he proves me wrong though.

slow... thats a given however with our midfield developing very well along with a backline a year along now he will become valuable. By all means teams will try to exploit him and run off him at their peril however last night when north did try and do that the quick return which our midfield is now capable of brought about him being on his own.

He just needs to be smart about how he plays, when players run off him he needs to make sure he pushes back along Fev or behind him and ensure that he is seen on the rebound and in space.

Additionally the crashing of packs and the ability to battle in the air with one or two players is invaluable. Fev and fisher can do the leading forward roles and cloke is the kick it high and put the ball on his head type player which then brings the smaller crumbers into the game.

Harlett is a useless hack who cant get his body right and when he does he runs around in circles and puts himself in the wrong spots and plugs the space. Time to cut our losses with him at the end of this year.

Yes Cam is a little slow, But he's still a big body, has got better than average hands, And is a decent kick for goal, this makes him a "target" and thats what our forward line needs a secondary target. Side bonus: Draws a big bodied defender away from Fev, making 2 on Fev and 3 on Fev contests less likely.

And seriously he helped Fev out with 2-3 blocks which led to shots on goal, Busted up Packs( as has been previously mentioned) and Kicked 2 goals of his own! Cant really recall Big Earl ever doing much more than that on a regular basis.....

It's that Physicality That makes life easier not just for Fev but our 3rd and 4th forward options. I believe Brad Pierce still sends Earl Christmas, Birthday and Valentines day cards every year....:eek:

& that my friend, is exactly what he is needed for. clearing a path & bringing it down to the small forwards. if he can chip in with 2-3 goals that'd be even better.
will get better at it, needs to keep pressure on so he's not getting rebounded off by his man to often.

ctacp
curlier than a catoggio pube

Anyone can put the block on, you dont need to be 6'4 to put a small delay in Fevs opponent

I love your objectivity AD ( ur 1 D short of being Robbo ).
Too many here rate anyone wearing a CFC gurnsey way too highly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast The mature Cameron Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back