****The new super, dooper Hawk quiz - Premiership years only****

Remove this Banner Ad

Parko was on the list in 1961, and did wear 33, but he played only 1 senior game, and that was the final minor round game against Richmond.

Parko was sort of our Crawf in 1971. Just missed the flag in 61, served the club with tremendous distinction for 10 years, and thoroughly deserved his flag in 1971.

Reg Poole played in the Back Pocket in 1961 GF - he nudged out Roy Simmons from that position during the year and Roy could not get his spot back.

Reg Poole played in the Back Pocket in 1961 GF - he nudged out Roy Simmons from that position during the year and Roy could not get his spot back.

Yes, Roy talked about this on one of our dvds. Apparently he went 10 pin bowling before practice and sustained an injury, then couldn't get his spot back after 192 games in 12 seasons.

Ok, who am I?

Hawthorn Premiership player.

But due to lack of opportunity, lack of desire, whatever the reason, I cross to another club that plays in the finals the same year Hawthorn does but my new team does not meet Hawthorn in those finals.

To do this I did something (quite legal in those days) but not legal today....

Who am I?*

There maybe others but Im thinking 1 particular player.

More clues if needed.

Is it Russell Morris? Prem player in 86.

Crossed to the Saints in 1991, where he played with them in the classic 91 finals game against the Cats (3rd v 4th) and they lost by 7 points and were eliminated first week...(I think we may have won the lot that year)

In terms of what he did? - need some more help on that bit....

Russell wasnt the player Im thinking of but I will check it out.

Edit: no doesnt qualify for what I was thinking which is the 2nd part, see below.

The thing that he was legally able to do then and not know is a AFL law or rule.

Yes, Roy talked about this on one of our dvds. Apparently he went 10 pin bowling before practice and sustained an injury, then couldn't get his spot back after 192 games in 12 seasons.

Little more trivia

Roy was the Manager of Hawthorn Bowl (10 pin bowling) for quite a few years

Bruce, not the player I was thinking of. Nothing to do with the Saints.

But you are definately on the right track. That "change" of club but we didnt win the Grand Final the year Russell Greene moved across. In fact it went the other way, Hawthorn Premiership player left us that year, the year we won a Grand Final. His new team played in the finals but obviously didnt win the big one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ananda Marga blow up a rubbish bin in Sydney killing 3.

San Francisco supervisor Harvey Milk is gunned down. Apparently there are lots of happy and not so happy people in SF.

and, the year we had 2 popes.

was it Kelvin Matthews?

Yes, well done TM.

During season 1978 played 4 games for us up until round 6 then crossed over to Geelong and started in their senior team round 14. Geelong went onto to play in the finals but where eliminated early and the Hawks went onto to win the flag.

Well it is the first and most likely but not guaranteed the last time a future Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and Governor of Victoria played in a Grand Final.

Was it the first time two expansion teams from 1925 played each other in a Grand Final? (Footscray)

Well it is the first and most likely but not guaranteed the last time a future Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and Governor of Victoria played in a Grand Final.

Was it the first time two expansion teams from 1925 played each other in a Grand Final? (Footscray)
that would be so but not what i was looking for.

I know there was only 2 drop punts kicked in the entire game which would probably be the last time that would happen in any game and does seem quite remarkable now(but I don't think this would be it).

Remove this Banner Ad

****The new super, dooper Hawk quiz - Premiership years only****

Remove this Banner Ad

Back