The next AFL dynasty

Remove this Banner Ad

To me it’s Collingwood, because this year they have one big advantage over both the Blues and Swans, the experience and know how to get the job done on the biggest stage on GF day! Carlton haven’t made one this century, so they have no idea what comes with participating in a GF, & the Swans will have to confront their Demons from 2022, especially Heeney & Gulden, two players who are taking the competition by storm, but in that GF one was the direct match up to the Norm Smith Medallist, & the other basically didn’t touch it.

In summary they are assured home ground advantage on GF day as are the Blooz

Pies slow start and rash of injuries has us down the pecking order this year, but we get 6-7 best 22 players back prior to finals.

Still think Sydney is miles ahead of the comp right now, but will be interesting to see if our form bumps with players coming back. A little like Richmond who in one of their flag years got a raft of players back prior to finals and went all the way. Think we're in the mix this year, and if we can jag a 2nd on the trot, then that's getting close to 'dynasty' - which im presuming is 3 or more over a 5-ish year period given other dynasty teams named.

An interesting watch is whether Sydney have peaked too early and will see a form downturn later in the year. To this point, sadly, there are no indications of that happening. Hard but not impossible to maintain such rapacious form from the beginning to the end of the year.

Impending retirements and FA acquisitions will be a decisive factor on whether we can keep challenging when the likes of Pendles/Sidey/Howe/Elliot retire over the next few years.

Not that I agree, but I'd guess: Crows were shit, GWS were shit, Covid

Yeah I’ve heard that said before. Can I point out however, nobody gets to pick their opponent in finals. You can only play and try to defeat whoever else qualifies. Is it Richmond’s fault the Crows and GWS obviously weren’t up to it? Should Richmond have not accepted the flags because those teams weren’t good enough?

As for the Covid year (and this goes for Melbournes as well) conditions were the same for everyone, everybody in hubs and shorter quarters. No supporter would have disregarded the flag or put an ‘asterisk’ beside it if their team had won.

Sydney for the next few years are every chance to. Think Carlton will peak in the late 2020s with some star F/S's coming through which should line up with the primes of Curnow, Mckay, Weitering, Walsh, Cerra, TDK etc.

Freo a smokey depending on the next couple of years of trades imo.

Sydney for the next few years are every chance to. Think Carlton will peak in the late 2020s with some star F/S's coming through which should line up with the primes of Curnow, Mckay, Weitering, Walsh, Cerra, TDK etc.

Walkers a long way off mate.

Pies slow start and rash of injuries has us down the pecking order this year, but we get 6-7 best 22 players back prior to finals.

Still think Sydney is miles ahead of the comp right now, but will be interesting to see if our form bumps with players coming back. A little like Richmond who in one of their flag years got a raft of players back prior to finals and went all the way. Think we're in the mix this year, and if we can jag a 2nd on the trot, then that's getting close to 'dynasty' - which im presuming is 3 or more over a 5-ish year period given other dynasty teams named.

An interesting watch is whether Sydney have peaked too early and will see a form downturn later in the year. To this point, sadly, there are no indications of that happening. Hard but not impossible to maintain such rapacious form from the beginning to the end of the year.

Impending retirements and FA acquisitions will be a decisive factor on whether we can keep challenging when the likes of Pendles/Sidey/Howe/Elliot retire over the next few years.

These 2 points are absolutely on the money. The Swan's best is easily (and I mean easily) the best I've seen this year. They are standouts.

HOWEVER, your second point is a fair question...have they peaked too early? We won't know for a few months yet. But it is very, very hard to maintain top form for an entire year.

Time will tell.

Not that I agree, but I'd guess: Crows were shit, GWS were shit, Covid
Crows were actually really good in 2017, they just drank the kool aid of that pop-psychology cult then ran into a fledgling dynasty team in the Tigers right as they started clicking, ultimately leading to a whole club capitulation.
The notion that Richmond were the shittiest dynasty is a bunch of BS. It's more just a shame for them that the 2020 season was COVID interrupted. They would've gone back to back either way.
People always talk down great teams. It's just a bunch of cope.

Realistically the core of this side is going to be done before he's relevant.
The core will still be well and truly in tact. At the end of this year we'll have;

Weitering - 27
Curnow - 27
Mckay - 27
Walsh - 24
Cerra - 25
TDK - 25

You can build plenty around that without including players like the Hollands twins, Kemp, Cowan, Boyd, Silvagni, Motlop, Kennedy etc. The biggest loss will obviously be when Cripps hangs up the boots but I expect us to be going strong for a while yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The core will still be well and truly in tact. At the end of this year we'll have;

Weitering - 27
Curnow - 27
Mckay - 27
Walsh - 24
Cerra - 25
TDK - 25

You can build plenty around that without including players like the Hollands twins, Kemp, Cowan, Boyd, Silvagni, Motlop, Kennedy etc. The biggest loss will obviously be when Cripps hangs up the boots but I expect us to be going strong for a while yet.

I was referring to your first post.

Most of those will be well into their 30's by the time young Walker is contributing anything.

Walsh and Cerra will be around, but the talls will be in their early to mid 30's if they are still going.

Last edited:
I reckon the Bombers are nicely primed for the Brad Scott at the Roos special.

Good enough to be competitive, but not good enough to go all the way imo.
If Essendon finish 5th or 6th and gets a home final at the MCG and win it, expect Brad Scott to get a contract extension of 3 or 4 more years and 2 or maybe even million a year!

This is how badly and crazy Essendon wants that finals win .

They want 20-22 players to get their 1st career finals win

You support Freo and you're trying to talk like an expert on flag quality? Your pathetic club would take anything.

I hate the Tiges as much as the next Blues fan but 3 flags = 3 flags.
Freo could win a flag by the end of this decade.

I am not saying they will, they could. But they have to retain certain players.

Which of the AFL dynasties that we've seen this century were predicted prior to the team winning it's first flag?

My suggestion is none.

Furthermore, we're forever hearing AFTER a team wins a flag that they're about to embark on a dynasty.

Think Essendon 2000.

Collingwood 2010.

Melbourne 2021.

There was more talk of dynasties for each of these teams, than there was about any of the four teams that forged a dynasty.

Which of the AFL dynasties that we've seen this century were predicted prior to the team winning it's first flag?

My suggestion is none.

Furthermore, we're forever hearing AFTER a team wins a flag that they're about to embark on a dynasty.

Think Essendon 2000.

Collingwood 2010.

Melbourne 2021.

There was more talk of dynasties for each of these teams, than there was about any of the four teams that forged a dynasty.

Carlton are the only ones that fit the bill imo.

You guys could’ve been if you won in 2022.

I have no confidence in an interstate team dynasty. The list has to be insanely good to pull off 3 GF wins away from home.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Freo. They're a couple of years off but their young talent is as good as anyone. It seems just people don't realise they were a younger team then Gold Coast this weekend.

I can't be sure and happy to be corrected but I heard that Freo had the youngest team of the round this week and with Draper in for Pearce and Walters out that sounds realistic.

Not a bad effort to take the win against the ladder leaders and undisputed flag favourites at their home ground, with our Captain and All Australian form key defender Alex Pearce out as well as our other key defender Cox still out.

Your time is now. Your top end (bar Walsh) are in their primes now. You've best chances are the next 4-5. As soon as players get past 30 the risk of injury/general decline increases.

Actually think the Blues are more likely to dynasty than the Swans because of the concentration of players between 22-28 now for the Blues. Swans have a few notable 30+ where as Blues have none.

Sydney and Freo for me have a genuine chance. Sydney in particular are just damn impressive to watch with their foot skills at almost every line

Gold Coast and Hawks pending on how they go end of this year regarding, FA, trades and draft also may have a chance.

Sydney and Freo for me have a genuine chance. Sydney in particular are just damn impressive to watch with their foot skills at almost every line

Gold Coast and Hawks pending on how they go end of this year regarding, FA, trades and draft also may have a chance.
Swans can do it if they find a replacement for Rampe. Surprised he is 34, I thought he was like 32. Barrass would have been handy.

They should get at least 2 out of Grundy and I think most other 30+ are replaceable. They wouldn't want to lose them/have them drop-off all at the same time though. Definitely need to prepare for Post Grundy too.

Hawks will be the next Dynasty, they will peak just as Tasmania come in, and dominate like they did when GWS and Gold Coast came in and took all the decent draft picks…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back