Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeXus_Rosie

Debutant
Oct 25, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Watching the resurgence of the Saints in the second half of 2011 was a great sight to behold. Their resilience to overcome everything against them and put in such an effort was outstanding.

I feel that this can be contributed to many things, most of which the improvement in many players, in particular Steven and McEvoy. Jack managed to push Armitage out of the role he was seemingly destined to fill, and play it very well. McEvoy has really come of age this year, situating himself in the top ruckmen of the competition.

This got me thinking, if the Saints were able to get back on track and win games with this new core in the midfield, imagine what could happen next year once HE comes back.

lenny_hayes_by_jaydera-d3gnsz5.jpg

You are pinning your hopes on a 32 year old coming back from a second knee reconstruction.:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Re: Saintsational have banned me, seems like for good

:(:thumbsdown:

I guess this is my new home..... Is there room for one more guest?

All I did was offer my opinion on the Best & Fairest night. Yes, four letter words were flowing, as was the booz-a, but hey - it was a piss-poor effort I thought from our Club that night.

Why is every bastard so precious?

PS if SS mods are reading this: a) you need me back, as the number of decent posters over there is truly low, and b) GAGF! :)
I sympathise with you Quixote. They banned me because I said St Kilda should do a full rebuild by trading Goddard to GWS for picks 5, 10 & 15. If Pelchen could pull that off we would be laughing. If GWS don't agree then we keep him. This is not an attack on Goddard and all things being equal I would prefer to keep him. However, if this gives us our best chance at building a premiership side then I say do it.

What do the mods do, they ban me. They are precious little darlings.:rolleyes:

Don't think so SS. Just watch BJ star in the forward line this year:)
He probably will star in the forward line next year. But if I was given the choice of Goddard starring in the forward line or recruiting 3 potential stars (with picks 5, 10 & 15), I know what option I would go for.

Re: Time for Nick to take a pay cut

surely it is time for Nick to have a pay cut. Under the circumstances, he should be the one sacrificing a little part of his salary to ease the pressure on the salary cap. Hes paid over a million dollars a year, i personally dont think hes worth that much, and im a saints fan.

the geelong side doesnt have one standout earner in their side, even when gary ablett was there (whos better than riewoldt), so time for our skipper to take a cut

and isnt kosi on more then 500,000 a year? comical..just pay him out and send him on his way.
Riewoldt should be on a maximum of $600,000 this year and Kosi should be on no more than $350,000. If this was the case then we would have been able to keep Tommy Walsh. Thanks a lot Dud Riewoldt and pathetic Kosi.

5 , 10 and 15 would have been a massive deal for Goddard. Probably pie in the sky stuff.

A very different proposition than say, trading all of DalSanto, Montagna, BJ, Fisher.
Then delisting Lenny for the hell of it etc etc.
But imagine for a moment if we could do the following trades.....

Goddard >>>picks 5, 10 & 15
Dal Santo >>picks 9 & 19
Montagna >>picks 14 & 25
Fisher >>>>>pick 17

Would you take the above??

A chronic gambler will always take the offer of a potential winfall over the solid real gold they hold in their hand. Scientists have studied the processes involved and found that a pigeon makes wiser gambling decisions than a human. I'm sure Holden or Percy can explain it better than me, but IIRC it has something to do with a pigeon which is given the choice of a lever that pays a reward (food) every second pull, or a much bigger reward at random times resulting in fewer pellets of food in the long run. The pigeon learns after a while and sticks to the reliable lever. A chronic gambler and someone under the influence of alcohol will continue to make the wrong choice for a great length of time (given the equivalent rewards in say a pokies machine or a card game).

Enough of this. Trade week is over. NeXus's wet dream of delisting all our talented players didn't happen. It still seems that there is little or no evidence of the requirement of bottoming out in order to win a premiership, and yet there is plenty of evidence to the contrary - that teams that don't bottom out and rebuild on the run are more likely to be successful. Its counterintuitive, but it does seem to be backed up by the evidence of recent successful clubs (including our own).

NeXus's plan would have us bottom out and rebuilding our team list from almost scratch competing against the subsidised clubs yet with less money and fewer picks. I don't like our chances given that scenario. I'm glad we kept our stars.

You may be correct in the pigeon example but we are talking about football in a communist environment. It has been 45 years since we won our one and only premiership. It's been roughly 20 years that the salary cap and draft have been in operation and in that time more than half the teams have won a premiership, but not St Kilda. What does this tell you Kildonan?

I have highlighted part of your post which I think is complete crap. Your saying that St Kilda's recent success was not on the back of bottoming out.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Could someone please go to SAINTSATIONAL and copy my signature (username is Parrot_Rosie) and post it here. That is my answer to that!!!!! I would do it myself but I have been banned.

Re: Next Year....

A troll not having a sense of humour? Shock horror!!!!
The point is I am not a troll. I have barracked for St Kilda since 1971.:eek: That's right, 40 long long years, and in all that time I have never seen us win a premiership.:mad::( Pre-season cups don't count.

Re: Zac Dawson quits the Saints

Zac Dawson rejects St Kilda's offer, could join Fremantle
by: Jon Ralph
October 31, 2011 12:00AM

ZAC Dawson has rejected St Kilda's contract offer and is looking to rejoin former coach Ross Lyon at Fremantle via the pre-season draft.

The 25-year-old defender has told teammates he will quit, and the Dockers are believed to be willing to offer him a long-term deal on more than $300,000 a season.

The Saints could not alleviate their salary-cap worries during trade week, so they were forced to offer below-par contracts to several out-of-contract players.

It will be another bitter blow for new coach Scott Watters, who lost exciting Irish key-position player Tommy Walsh to Sydney in the trade period.
This is good news Kildonan. Nothing against Zac, (I actually quite like him), at least now Saints fans (and coaches) should realize that our premiership window is firmly shut. This in turn will expediate our rebuild.

No, I think that is Max Hudghton (deservedly referred to as one of the best fullbacks ever) !

Dawson has a beautiful left foot kick that can open up games against the press - unfortunately (I felt) he was not allowed to use it too often.

I like Dawson - I loved his bump against Barry Hall, I loved how he destroyed his previous nightmare Rocca, I loved his uncontrollable smile after he kicked the winning goal against Carlton, I loved how he played against the overhead forwards and I loved how he also took on the big monsters when the Fishers, Goddards, Gwilts, etc. couldn't (Blake is another one who could) even though he would be in trouble against the wrestling type forwards.

I am disappointed that he is leaving - we gave him a chance (we, the St Kilda FC, not just our previous senior coach) when his career was over - and it will be darn difficult to replace him (lucky we kept Jason I can play everywhere Blake, but he is obviously not a long term solution).
Excellent post HoldenMCaulfield. Dawson will be very hard to replace. All these other posters who reckon he was shit have absolutely no idea.

"....trade out anyone over the age of 26, if no trades - delist"!!!

ring any bells?
Is Dawson over 26???
And besides, I would only use the above stragety if we were performing a full rebuild, (which we are not).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpkin is only 191 cm tall and doesn't have extraordinary reach. He wasn't quite tall enough to do the job in the VFL let alone the AFL.

He will probably become a long term member of our defence, but I feel it is unlikely he will become our permanent full back.

I'd have more confidence in Archer becoming the full back, but I'm not sure he has the instincts to do the job just yet. At least he is the size for a key position spot.
I don't think Archer is a good candidate for full back. He may have the height and strength but he certainly does not have the agility that is required. If he is to make it in the AFL it has to be as a forward and possibly as a relieving ruckman. Personally I don't think he is good enough for AFL.

agility? did no-one see the youtube goal kicked backwards over his head?
Ignore.:eek: He is not agile or nimble enough. Remember Hudghton? (spelling?). He is the type that is needed for FB. Archer is an undersized lumbering ruckman that isn't good enough for AFL IMHO.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86828/default.aspx

2.98s 20m = lumbering. OK if you say so.

Any other negative things you care to make up about this kid for no reason other than to fuel more negativity.
You can put up as many stats as you like. AFAIC and IMHO, he isn't good enough. I hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt it very much. By season 2014 he will not be on our list. Again, I will be very happy if he proves me wrong.

NeXus I believe you will be proven wrong next year! Dawson will leave and open up the position for DARCH. The kid has the drive and hunger to make it as a Full Back.

I would hardly call Daniel MERRETT or Darren GLASS agile and they are both terrific full backs. They use their size and strength to out position opponents and that is something we need.
You may be right Winners. I still feel that his best chance of making it in the AFL is to be a centre half forward and relieving ruckman. The Leroy Brown type role I guess. Time will tell.

Re: Saints Delisted

I saw Peaky out in the surf at Winki on Tuesday morning. I was thinking about asking him if he'd re-signed but its probably the last thing he would want on his mind in the surf. Decent surfer too.
I saw him too after he came off his board. He had a huge gash on his forehead that would have needed stitches IMHFO.:rolleyes: Stupid sport.

Maybe it is time to bring back the captaincy rotation!!

After 5 or 6 years I think it's time that Riewoldt was relieved of the captaincy so he can concentrate on his footy. Having said that, what about bringing back the captaincy rotation?

I feel that if Kosi was given the chance to lead the Saints in 2012, that would give him a huge boost and just might be the catalyst for him to perform at his best.

Thoughts?

Re: Maybe it is time to bring back the captaincy rotation!!

I hate this mongering type of behaviour. People shouldn't build up an issue that doesn't exhist.
He's a champion player and an amazing leader, he played through pain and injury in 2011.
If a champion thouroughbred has a saw leg one season, you don't go reaching for the shot gun.
I believe that you have mis-read my OP.

Re: Has SaintSational be hacked????

Dont sell me short mate, I understand the "original" reason for Bay13 which was to get the halfwits off the main footy forum, which, in most cases is serious discussion.

However I dont find anything witty or clever about calling footballers rapists (regardless of their club) or posting naked shots of footballers or rejoicing when a player gets injured.

It shows the interwebs at it worst. Gutless anonomous, mainly wannabe's and losers who think they have no consequence to their abuse and insults.

Most there seem to be about 14 y.o. whose next will be their first and toggle between bigfooty and their favourite pr0n sites where they live their other never to be realised fantasy of getting laid. Must be hard for most of them to type one handed.

Absolute lowlife bogan cowards forum, with no soul, inhabited by children.
You are the biggest moron on the net Joffaboy and St Kilda does not need supporters like you dragging us down.:mad:

Roo is a great captain, criticism about him can only at very best be seen as churlish, BUT Lenny should captain til he retires, then Roo has some years after that.
My original post was in no way criticising Riewoldt.

IMO Lenny should have been made captain at the end of the rotating period.

Given that he wasn't I see no reason to remove Riewoldt unless he wants to step down.
My reason for the original post is 3 fold.....

1. Riewoldt to be relieved of the captaincy so he can relax and concentrate on his footy.
2. Make Kosi captain for a year in the hope it brings out the best in him.
3. After Kosi's year as captain give it to Goddard so he hopefully stays rather than goes to GWS.

Well, if Watters doesn't think outside the square then don't be too upset if 2012 is a crap year for the Saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back