Rumour The North Ultimatum

Remove this Banner Ad

Who wants to watch North play?? They have not been a force for a long time. They are going to get some terrible hidings as the year progresses as injury and fatigue catches up. The coach will be pushed out, membership and attendances will drop and it will be all over in Victoria. The club lost the neutral supporter with the Carey saga. I would like to see how the so-called 45,000 membership is broken down, and the actual revenue. The crowd numbers just do not support the membership numbers. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors occurring in the AFL.
Norths figures are shady but Carlton giving away free memberships is legit? :think:

Who wants to watch North play?? They have not been a force for a long time. They are going to get some terrible hidings as the year progresses as injury and fatigue catches up. The coach will be pushed out, membership and attendances will drop and it will be all over in Victoria. The club lost the neutral supporter with the Carey saga. I would like to see how the so-called 45,000 membership is broken down, and the actual revenue. The crowd numbers just do not support the membership numbers. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors occurring in the AFL.
Right now, no-one.
so much here

Carlton got 8 Friday night games after winning a spoon, meanwhile, the Saints got 1 Friday night game in 2 years(same period) after being a better performing side, Dogs had sfa Friday night games pre 2016 Flag, and still haven't received close to the largess fixture wise that Essendon or Carlton have received. post flag.

We're told, perform better and you will get the fixtures, Carlton still fails to make finals and open the season with consecutive Thursday night games, Essendon still gets the fixtures that North, Saints can only dream of, regardless of performance.

Then we're told its crowd sizes, it's a constantly moving goalpost, then we're belittled for receiving large equalisations, despite it not even going close to fixing the disparity.

VFL/AFL has been played on ANZAC day since the 60's, it ceased in the 90's and then Essendon and Pies lobbied for its reintroduction. (1995) Hardly invented it.

Saints haven't created a Danny Frawley match, it's a memorial game for a club legend that passed away at the beginning of COVID and it's been 540+ days since Saints have played in front of a crowd in Melbourne, they are using the game to raise funds for mental health, you know as Melbourne does with Daniher and the freeze game. Like Saints do with Maddie's Match (Saints/Richmond). Saints and Swans run an annual Pride Match, unlike other clubs that the AFL seems to promote, these games get shuffled to Sunday slots and buried despite the decent crowds they attract.

You've really answer your own points here. Its clear its not about on field performance or crowd sizes.

Collingwood/Essendon/Richmond/Carlton have all created marquee games or quasi traditions that through great marketing have becomes staples of our game.

Want to know why Carlton and Essendon continually get round 1/ANZAC day respectively. Just try getting a ticket to either game. I know plenty of non supporters that go along to those games because they know the show it will put on.

What have North done in recent memory to try and leverage this? As an example Melbourne was gifted the Queens Birthday 'home' game for an extremely long time, however attaching Collingwood to that meant that they were going to reap a significant reward.

Credit where credit is due, Maddies Match and potentially Dannys match have the ability to draw big crowds for St Kilda.

Its funny you bring up Western Bulldogs, but I really don't hear too many of their supporters complaining about this at all...

Right now, no-one.

You've really answer your own points here. Its clear its not about on field performance or crowd sizes.

Collingwood/Essendon/Richmond/Carlton have all created marquee games or quasi traditions that through great marketing have becomes staples of our game.

Want to know why Carlton and Essendon continually get round 1/ANZAC day respectively. Just try getting a ticket to either game. I know plenty of non supporters that go along to those games because they know the show it will put on.

What have North done in recent memory to try and leverage this? As an example Melbourne was gifted the Queens Birthday 'home' game for an extremely long time, however attaching Collingwood to that meant that they were going to reap a significant reward.

Credit where credit is due, Maddies Match and potentially Dannys match have the ability to draw big crowds for St Kilda.

Its funny you bring up Western Bulldogs, but I really don't hear too many of their supporters complaining about this at all...

so historical performance = current benefits, despite current performance.
So the small clubs should stop trying because no matter what they do the "big clubs" will always be given every advantage over them regardless. how does the cycle change? if you see 1 team on TV ALL the time and another team is never on TV, who's the viewer more likely to support?

quasi tradition. - Anzac day whilst it's had some great games has had equally shite ones too, More blowouts in the Queen's b'day game than close ones. round 1 no different.

Maddie's match drew very good crowds its first two years then the AFL saw fit to bury it on a Sunday Afternoon where it's barely shifted since.
not only cant we get a set date we can't even get a decent fixture for it. 1 set of rules for some, another for others.

North only invented Friday night footy, now barely get a look in, yet Ess/Pies seem to own Anzac day despite it being around for 30+years
What's North done - only won a GF the year before Essendon's last and 2 since Carlton's last, nor mention the pretty solid finals contention run through to 200'5 to 2018, more so than Carlton, yet Carlton gets looked after because of historical reasons....

why don't the Dogs complain? maybe when you're used to 0 or 1 Friday nights a year 3 or so seems like a dream, yet Carlton 2 opening Thursday night slots, despite not making finals in forever

were not after more than our share, just a fair go.

were not after more than our share, just a fair go.

North are getting their share, they had 14k members turn up to round 1...

Football is a spectator sport and is money driven. You need to make yourself relevant.
Doggies have done it, saints are doing it, north are just sitting there chanting Kanga, Kanga, Kanga

North are getting their share, they had 14k members turn up to round 1...

Football is a spectator sport and is money driven. You need to make yourself relevant.
Doggies have done it, saints are doing it, north are just sitting there chanting Kanga, Kanga, Kanga

It’s also about eyeballs on TV to attract club sponsors.

Don’t give clubs decent TV slots then they don’t get the marquee sponsors, ergo less money coming in the door.

Performance in these prime slots also doesn’t matter - see Carlton for the last 14 years in the season opener.....

It’s also about eyeballs on TV to attract club sponsors.

Don’t give clubs decent TV slots then they don’t get the marquee sponsors, ergo less money coming in the door.

Performance in these prime slots also doesn’t matter - see Carlton for the last 14 years in the season opener.....
This is the problem, there’s an excuse for everything and a woe is me attitude.

Do something about your shit crowd numbers, shit time slots and shit o field performance.

Richmond wasn’t that far ahead of the “small clubs” only 7 years ago.... they’ve more than doubled their membership base, played exciting football and have been rewarded for doing so.

Do something about your sh*t crowd numbers, sh*t time slots and sh*t o field performance.

Richmond wasn’t that far ahead of the “small clubs” only 7 years ago.... they’ve more than doubled their membership base, played exciting football and have been rewarded for doing so.

“Do something”.

Sure, put me in charge of fixtures and I will solve it pretty easily. Moving Carlton vs Collingwood to the Sunday arvo might be a start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do something about your sh*t crowd numbers, sh*t time slots and sh*t o field performance.

Were being rewarded with blockbuster games and great preferred timeslots for decades without doing so.
It's a real marketing advantage.

I think you’ll find last time you got a Sunday twilight game (IIRC against Carlton) nobody turned up and both supporter bases spat the dummy
We got approx 35k to the G against Gold Coast the last time we played a Sunday twilight game.

I don’t think it’d be a stretch to expect 60k when it’s Pies v Blues, even on a Sunday afternoon. And before you bring up the 52k on Thursday last week, let’s just call it at least 60% capacity...

North pulled 13k, when it was the first opportunity their fans have been able to watch live football in over a year. Makes you think...

We got approx 35k to the G against Gold Coast the last time we played a Sunday twilight game.

I don’t think it’d be a stretch to expect 60k when it’s Pies v Blues, even on a Sunday afternoon. And before you bring up the 52k on Thursday last week, let’s just call it at least 60% capacity...

North pulled 13k, when it was the first opportunity their fans have been able to watch live football in over a year. Makes you think...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06...tion-for-magpies-after-low-attendance/5558510

Aha. I found it. Now 40k isn’t shabby, but it was enough to make Ed see red, and well short of the 60k you suggested you’d get. Do you really think it’s fair to ask other clubs to run off 2/3rds of the crowds they should get, or is it only the entitled clubs that shouldn’t have to worry about that?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06...tion-for-magpies-after-low-attendance/5558510

Aha. I found it. Now 40k isn’t shabby, but it was enough to make Ed see red, and well short of the 60k you suggested you’d get. Do you really think it’s fair to ask other clubs to run off 2/3rds of the crowds they should get, or is it only the entitled clubs that shouldn’t have to worry about that?

you’re suggesting that north would have pulled a crowd of 21k+ if the game was Friday night or another marquee time slot?

what evidence is there of that

you’re suggesting that north would have pulled a crowd of 21k+ if the game was Friday night or another marquee time slot?

what evidence is there of that

You provided it. Shit time slots bring shitter than hoped for crowds. Not all teams can be Man U.

But given that Nth haven’t done themselves any favours over the last couple of years. Their list management has been baffling to say the least

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour The North Ultimatum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back