VFL The North VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hugh may have ditched the #18 on his back, but he's turned into Wayne Carey on the ground.

Clearly he has been inspired by BigFooty sponsoring him!

Hugh may have ditched the #18 on his back, but he's turned into Wayne Carey on the ground.

Clearly he has been inspired by BigFooty sponsoring him!
If he is playing CHF today he can replace CCJ for R1. At least he'll provide a contest. I reckon Greenwood is significantly underrated by many supporters. He was important in our three wins last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he is playing CHF today he can replace CCJ for R1. At least he'll provide a contest. I reckon Greenwood is significantly underrated by many supporters. He was important in our three wins last year.
Yeah he's so versatile, somehow holds his own in the ruck and then acts as on ball bull. Can play as straight out mid and more than handy in the F50.
Ideally, you'd want some of that down the line pack contesting from a second ruck though, but Greenwood still offers plenty.
I thought it a great idea sending Chom back, but...we recruited well and im not sure we're as bad off with key backs as we thought we would be. The big question there is can his body handle CHF and 5 to 10 minutes a quarter against a second ruck.

I was there. Terrible conditions for football. Temp started at 28 and ended at 32. Was blowing and absolute gale towards one end. I think only 2-3 goals were kicked against the wind for the day.

Ford played well, was our cleanest player on the ground and air in the first half. Up forward and on the wing he was winning contests at will. When the doggies got on top in the second with the wind he went behind the ball and competed well, took intercepts and had clean use. Got cleaned up in the 3rd with maybe a rib injury and didn’t reappear.

Goad did well in the ruck, wasn’t moved off the hall easily even though he looks like a giraffe. A couple of times he took the ball out of the ruck and was able to win a few clearances, nearly kicked a miraculous snap from 45 doing that but just missed. Tackled well, but didn’t pick up the ball super cleanly (there’s a long way down). Also didn’t see him marking so well. An improvement for his game.

Greenwood: went in and out of the game as was playing forward. First half didn’t mark so well, but was competing and tackling well in the forward line, kicked a few goals from snaps. Last quarter marked very strongly on the wing and in the forward line.
Corr dominated the backline on the ground and in the air. When the delivery was high from the doggies he was in his element and was rarely out-marked. Was the general all day, has to come in for Rd 1.
McDonald was up and down. Wasn’t impressed in the first half, didn’t get a lot of the ball and gave away some frees, but was hard at the contest. Was much better in the second half in winning the ball and using it better. Might still need a couple more weeks.
Free played well. Was the best ruckman on the ground. Moved surprising well, esp considering it’s his first match back. Kicking looked a bit suss in regular play, but was very accurate at goal. Got a lot of goals in Free play. Marking wasnt so flash, but wasnt out-marked too often. Looked to try and handball when he could.

Chom was a bit quieter than last week. Still marked well when he had the chance and didn’t lose too many contest in the air. Tackled strongly, but maybe too much as he gave away two frees for rough tackles. Used the ball well.

George was good, especially in the first half. Was walking through tackles, kept a cool head and used the ball well coming out of the backline. Didn’t get a heap of the ball but looked clean and assured.

Those were my notes/memory. Happy to answer questions.

I was there. Terrible conditions for football. Temp started at 28 and ended at 32. Was blowing and absolute gale towards one end. I think only 2-3 goals were kicked against the wind for the day.

Ford played well, was our cleanest player on the ground and air in the first half. Up forward and on the wing he was winning contests at will. When the doggies got on top in the second with the wind he went behind the ball and competed well, took intercepts and had clean use. Got cleaned up in the 3rd with maybe a rib injury and didn’t reappear.

Goad did well in the ruck, wasn’t moved off the hall easily even though he looks like a giraffe. A couple of times he took the ball out of the ruck and was able to win a few clearances, nearly kicked a miraculous snap from 45 doing that but just missed. Tackled well, but didn’t pick up the ball super cleanly (there’s a long way down). Also didn’t see him marking so well. An improvement for his game.

Greenwood: went in and out of the game as was playing forward. First half didn’t mark so well, but was competing and tackling well in the forward line, kicked a few goals from snaps. Last quarter marked very strongly on the wing and in the forward line.
Corr dominated the backline on the ground and in the air. When the delivery was high from the doggies he was in his element and was rarely out-marked. Was the general all day, has to come in for Rd 1.
McDonald was up and down. Wasn’t impressed in the first half, didn’t get a lot of the ball and gave away some frees, but was hard at the contest. Was much better in the second half in winning the ball and using it better. Might still need a couple more weeks.
Free played well. Was the best ruckman on the ground. Moved surprising well, esp considering it’s his first match back. Kicking looked a bit suss in regular play, but was very accurate at goal. Got a lot of goals in Free play. Marking wasnt so flash, but wasnt out-marked too often. Looked to try and handball when he could.

Chom was a bit quieter than last week. Still marked well when he had the chance and didn’t lose too many contest in the air. Tackled strongly, but maybe too much as he gave away two frees for rough tackles. Used the ball well.

George was good, especially in the first half. Was walking through tackles, kept a cool head and used the ball well coming out of the backline. Didn’t get a heap of the ball but looked clean and assured.

Those were my notes/memory. Happy to answer questions.
On his performance alone would Comben earn his spot in the AFL side this week if he was another player...

On his performance alone would Comben earn his spot in the AFL side this week if he was another player...
You’d think he’ll get his shot soon, but Corr needs to come in first. Charlie just starting out as a defender, but Corr has played it for a long time. Far too good for VFL and the type of experience we can’t do without in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL The North VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back