The off topic thread 6.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, many thanks to those that messaged/commented.

I know we don’t always agree with everyone on everything on here but I’ve always really enjoyed this board for the comaraderie we’ve built over many years.

Personally think we’ve got one of the best group of posters you’d hope to find on a forum anywhere on the internet.

Had the second best outcome for the surgery that could’ve happened.

Was good news really but he will have to go back under in 6 months time.

Couldn’t be prouder of him, he’s taken it like an absolute trooper.

Good to hear things went well for him and you guys. Always a stressful time when kids are needing surgery. We are lucky that we have a pretty good health system with access to top quality surgeons / medical professionals.

So what’s the issue with a Welcome to Country? It’s five minutes of your life.

If I went to Mexico etc and they had traditions or acknowledgement of their past that they wanted to include prior to events, I’d be understanding of it. Why not in our own backyard?

Welcome to Country wasn't ubiquitous to all indigenous groups. It's part of the modern narrative that groups all Aborigines together as if they have a shared culture. Tribes would have had diverse traditions, different creation myths, differing kinship structures.

If you go to Mexico it's nice to be welcomed into a foreign country. But it's insulting to be welcomed into your own country.

So what’s the issue with a Welcome to Country? It’s five minutes of your life.

If I went to Mexico etc and they had traditions or acknowledgement of their past that they wanted to include prior to events, I’d be understanding of it. Why not in our own backyard?

It's utter wank is why.

No different to a morning prayer or god save some meaningless monarch.

You ok if every where you went you had to sit through that nonsense?

Wouldn't end up boring the shit out of you and being utter meaningless?

It's perfect for opening a major sporting event like the Olympics.

Utter stupidity doing it in a job interview.

It's utter wank is why.

No different to a morning prayer or god save some meaningless monarch.

You ok if every where you went you had to sit through that nonsense?

Wouldn't end up boring the shit out of you and being utter meaningless?

It's perfect for opening a major sporting event like the Olympics.

Utter stupidity doing it in a job interview.

Why care at a sporting event that starts at a set time and you’re in the stadium 30+ minutes early anyway? It’s not like welcome to country delays the start of the game. The game will still commence at the scheduled time.

Why care at a sporting event that starts at a set time and you’re in the stadium 30+ minutes early anyway? It’s not like welcome to country delays the start of the game. The game will still commence at the scheduled time.

It's not like it achieves anything either.

It's turning something that could have a bit of meaning into something that will end up having zero meaning to the majority of the population.

Is that it's aim?

Apparently Trump thinks that Harris has only turned black in the past few years. He's not racist at all though.
I swear half his comments come across as something an AI bot has made up. You read it and think this has to be a fake quote.

Then you see the video...
Holy ****. And a couple in this thread defend him ffs.

I swear half his comments come across as something an AI bot has made up. You read it and think this has to be a fake quote.

Then you see the video...
Holy ****. And a couple in this thread defend him ffs.

Was thinking it was something from a TV show, but a little too unrealistic for TV. But here were are in 2024.

Weren't the Democrats claiming that Trump was afraid to face Harris in a debate? Yet she was the one who didn't turn up, in front of an audience you think would be sympathetic to her. The interviewer wasn't really seeking answers to her questions. It was just a series of attempted gotchas. Trump wasn't falling for it.

He uses strategic ambiguity when he speaks. It's hard to pin him down on anything specific but he keeps the conversation in areas he wants to highlight.

Was Harris a DEI hire? "She could be, I really don't know".
"Harris used to be Indian but now she's black. I respect either one".

Cue a million google searches on Harris's political history and ancestry.

Weren't the Democrats claiming that Trump was afraid to face Harris in a debate? Yet she was the one who didn't turn up, in front of an audience you think would be sympathetic to her. The interviewer wasn't really seeking answers to her questions. It was just a series of attempted gotchas. Trump wasn't falling for it.

He uses strategic ambiguity when he speaks. It's hard to pin him down on anything specific but he keeps the conversation in areas he wants to highlight.

Was Harris a DEI hire? "She could be, I really don't know".
"Harris used to be Indian but now she's black. I respect either one".

Cue a million google searches on Harris's political history and ancestry.
Oh, no. He is definitely a ****ing idiot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome to Country wasn't ubiquitous to all indigenous groups. It's part of the modern narrative that groups all Aborigines together as if they have a shared culture. Tribes would have had diverse traditions, different creation myths, differing kinship structures.

If you go to Mexico it's nice to be welcomed into a foreign country. But it's insulting to be welcomed into your own country.
It’s not to welcome other Indigenous Australians to the country though?

This during a recent protest against the police protecting a mosque made me laugh.

853485.gif

You said it’s insulting to be welcomed to your own country. The Welcome to Country isn’t for other indigenous people.

Like I said, Welcome to Country wasn't ubiquitous to all indigenous groups. But where it was used, it was to welcome outsider indigenous people to a certain tribal territory. So I'm still not sure what you mean.

Like I said, Welcome to Country wasn't ubiquitous to all indigenous groups. But where it was used, it was to welcome outsider indigenous people to a certain tribal territory. So I'm still not sure what you mean.

You and Bostonian seem to struggle with the distinction between Acknowledgement and Welcome to Country.

Remove this Banner Ad

The off topic thread 6.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back