The off topic thread 6.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched a bit of stuff about school shootings last night, including a really interesting Tedtalk by one of the Columbine shooters mothers.

One of the things that stood out was kids talking about their training on what to do in the event of a school shooting. The fact that kids have got to prepare for what to do if someone decides to shoot people in a school should be enough to change.

Also watched a bit about Port Arthur and was reminded just how quick Australia changed in the aftermath. Yanks will still be debating this in decade.

It’s quite frightening how normalised it is. Been some time now since I was last in the US, however the last visit I was struck at how casually some colleagues at the time spoke of these discussions with their kids, and how regularly schools conduct these drills.

It’s so messed up and so many levels. They’re just children. It shouldn’t be this way.

I was sent this graphic from CNN earlier today. The light purple denotes as at September 6th at each year. This is wild. Scary shit.

17253D1A-9F5A-4D23-8637-0D8DB7185983.jpeg

It’s quite frightening how normalised it is. Been some time now since I was last in the US, however the last visit I was struck at how casually some colleagues at the time spoke of these discussions with their kids, and how regularly schools conduct these drills.

It’s so messed up and so many levels. They’re just children. It shouldn’t be this way.

I was sent this graphic from CNN earlier today. The light purple denotes as at September 6th at each year. This is wild. Scary shit.

View attachment 2102930
This is one of the key reasons I have no interest in US politics and generally pity them as a society, IMO they don't deserve to be considered as a first world nation and their power inside groups like G8 and The UN etc is not warranted or deserved. Why should the world be lectured on how things should be done by a nation that can't even get its own shit together. They need to be sent back to the stone age to start over.

1. Their approach to guns, gun violence and gun related homocides is repugnant as a nation. Not so much the many millions of citizens who'd love change, but more so the powerful gun lobby and paid of congressmen who allow it to continue unabated. A country with 5% of the global population has roughly 25% of the world prison population.

2. Their approach to health care and the 'health' sector as a whole. It's all about $$$ and big pharma and not about making people better.

Really? what a world we're in.
Can say that wasn't a thing when I was at school. Probably a couple of fire drills over the years but that'd be it.
I definitely did drills for intruders on school grounds back in 05/06.

I remember back around that time we’d have an evacuation drill and a lockdown one each year. Problem was the thought of it ever really happening here seemed so insane as a kid no one would take it seriously even if it was real.

America can’t be fixed on this as sad as it is. Too many people would rather go down shooting than give up their weapons. You’d also need both parties to support it which won’t happen while the pro gun vote is worth so much.

Pretty hard to have much respect for a society that constantly watches kids getting murdered and refuses to do anything about it.

Mrs moomba and me on a bit of a youtube music rabbit hole tonight. Put Khe Sanh on, told Mrs moomba that it you did a survey of Australians this would be the quintessential Australian song.

She said "1979, would it still be now, or just when you were there".

I wasn't sure, so told her I'd pose the question.

What is the quintessential Australian song nowadays? I'm still thinking Khe Sanh.

Mrs moomba and me on a bit of a youtube music rabbit hole tonight. Put Khe Sanh on, told Mrs moomba that it you did a survey of Australians this would be the quintessential Australian song.

What is the quintessential Australian song nowadays? I'm still thinking Khe Sanh.
Long Way To The Top by AC/DC was massive late 70s. At school all used to sing “it’s a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll”.

Angels “Am I ever gonna see your face again” another one.

But yeah many would pick Khe Sanh..never a big Chisel fan myself

The Horses would have to be up there

I doubt many youth of today would know it. I'm 36 and I'd say most people my age or thereabouts would probably agree, or as Thistle mentioned, Horses. Probably more iconic now.

You're The Voice definitely another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt many youth of today would know it. I'm 36 and I'd say most people my age or thereabouts would probably agree, or as Thistle mentioned, Horses. Probably more iconic now.

You're The Voice definitely another.

Men at work Land down under

Gero circa 2015 a prime example.
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Permanently ruined yet been complimentary all season long. Okay then...

Remove this Banner Ad

The off topic thread 6.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back