The Official 2010 Draft Watch Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee, Sam Crocker doesn't mind pumping his own tyres, does he? That Hodge comparison says it all. Not a bad prospect by the look of it.
Yeah, a bit of confidence in him, that's for sure.

He reminds me a bit of Leigh Montagna. Same size as him and good pace and a lovely left foot. Can also kick well on the right apparently.

It appears there are a number of guys at that 30 range that could be good AFL players. Any of Green, Crocker, Jacobs or Smith would be good selections, especially if we can get one of Harper, Pitt, Smedts or Parker at 17. I look forward to seeing what Lice and Co. come up with.

I tell you what, if a repeat of last year occurs and a player of Blacks calibre slides again and we snap him up with the Compo pick we should all be very very happy boys

I tell you what, if a repeat of last year occurs and a player of Blacks calibre slides again and we snap him up with the Compo pick we should all be very very happy boys

.......and girls! (for the NMFC fanatical ladies amongst our BF posting flock :thumbsu: )

So it looks more than likely that we are going to be using 3 picks in the years draft. From this reason I think it would be stupid if we didn't use our compensation pick, there is too much depth not to take another pick inside the top 30. Here are my thoughts on what I think will go down on draft day!

Pick 17: I'd say that we'll definately be in the market for a flashy midfielder with a bit of class and good skills. Although it would not surprise me at all if we went with a KP defender espicially if Matt Watson or Patrick McCarthy. Same goes with a KP forward in the form of Lucas Cook, Tom Lynch or Jack Darling, all of which would be excellent additions to our great footy club. I think one thing is for certain and that we wont be going for a ruckman with our first rounder!

Here are my prefences for pick 17, all in order!

Pick 17: Midfielder

Here are my prefences for midfielders at pick 17: Brodie Smith, Kieran Harper, Ben Jacobs, Jayden Pitt, Billy Smedts, Isaac Smith, Jed Lamb.

I highly Doubt that Gaff, Heppell, Atley or Caddy will be available at our pick so I didnt include them. However if one of these guys slip to our pick I'd be picking them up in a heartbeat.

Compo Pick: Midfielder

Here are my preferences for Mids around the 26-32 mark: Jayden Pitt, , Isaac Smith, Reece Conca, Mitch Hallahan, Luke Parker, Josh Green, Jaime Cripps or Sam Crocker.

Pick 69: Ruckman or Best Available.

Here are my preferences for Rucks who should be around our pick: Tom Hickey, Joe Groenewegan, Liep Cope or Andrew Phillips.

I also think if Myles Sewell is around at pick 69 he should get a spot on our list. I dont understand why teams continue to overlook this kid. If he gets a spot on an AFL list he will definately make it exactly like Barlow and Anthony have done before him.

Here are my preferences for Rucks who should be around our pick: Tom Hickey, Joe Groenewegan, Liep Cope or Andrew Phillips.

I personally rate Leif highly, and think he would be the ideal candidate for our developing ruckman position.

He's tall and athletic, and has a good "hit-out" technique (more in a Goldy type way.) He's quite raw having only started concentrating on footy relatively recently, however from the Ranges matches I saw him feature in at the beginning of the season, to that of the end, he developed quite nicely.

Obviously a lot more development to go both physically and with game sense, however I think he's the ideal candidate for someone to just enter an AFL system and develop without a whole heap of pressure being behind two top-class ruckman.

Chris25 mentioned that on the North Board someone seemed to think that Isaac Smith had had a meeting with Freo over in Perth. Anything behind that?

I personally rate Leif highly, and think he would be the ideal candidate for our developing ruckman position.

He's tall and athletic, and has a good "hit-out" technique (more in a Goldy type way.) He's quite raw having only started concentrating on footy relatively recently, however from the Ranges matches I saw him feature in at the beginning of the season, to that of the end, he developed quite nicely.

Obviously a lot more development to go both physically and with game sense, however I think he's the ideal candidate for someone to just enter an AFL system and develop without a whole heap of pressure being behind two top-class ruckman.

I'd say all the boys are worth a shot at a late pick, and i i can definately see why young Leif interests you. He is quite an athlete but as you said he is very raw. Andrew Philips is in the exact same boat, while Tom Hicky and Groenenwegen are slightly more developed, the only problem is Groen needs to keep growing so that he is not an undersized ruckman (he is currently 197-198).

Chris25 mentioned that on the North Board someone seemed to think that Isaac Smith had had a meeting with Freo over in Perth. Anything behind that?

I'd say he'd be having meetings with all clubs on the back of his VFL finals performances and state screening results. I'd say he'd be on your radar for your first round pick.

Lets talk #17. Can Pykie and anyone else that has watched these guys play (or any one) and give their opinions and rank them in order. These mids look like they will be around our pick.

Smedts - My fav. Classy player. Doubt he will get past Geelong.
Tac stats 15D @ 72% efficiency, 70% by foot.

I Smith - Great athlete with footy skills. The type we need. My only concern is I don't think he used his right foot the 2 times I've seen him and there were times he should of.

Harper - Quick, great kick, doesn't get a lot of it.
15D @ 54%, 51 by foot.
17 @ 64%, 60% last year.

Pitt - Quick, great kick, very thin. For some reason he reminds me of X Ellis and it scares me.
17 @ 65%, 62%.

Parker - Inside mid, good mark, outside potential?
22 @ 67%, 57%.
20 @ 63%, 52%.

Jacobs - Great Drummond like kick. Not quick. Can he run in the middle?
27 @ 72%, 63%.

Lets talk #17. Can Pykie and anyone else that has watched these guys play (or any one) and give their opinions and rank them in order. These mids look like they will be around our pick.

Smedts - My fav. Classy player. Doubt he will get past Geelong.
Tac stats 15D @ 72% efficiency, 70% by foot.

I Smith - Great athlete with footy skills. The type we need. My only concern is I don't think he used his right foot the 2 times I've seen him and there were times he should of.

Harper - Quick, great kick, doesn't get a lot of it.
15D @ 54%, 51 by foot.
17 @ 64%, 60% last year.

Pitt - Quick, great kick, very thin. For some reason he reminds me of X Ellis and it scares me.
17 @ 65%, 62%.

Parker - Inside mid, good mark, outside potential?
22 @ 67%, 57%.
20 @ 63%, 52%.

Jacobs - Great Drummond like kick. Not quick. Can he run in the middle?
27 @ 72%, 63%.

Brodie Smith>Kieren Harper>Ben Jacobs on par with Smedts> Smith and Pitt. Parker isn't in the same field as these boys IMO i think he will be around at pick 30ish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1.Brodie Smith is at our pick I would take him in a heartbeat, behind Caddy he is the best inside mid in this draft but he possesses the speed and acceleration to really bust and break away from the packs. His side step is pretty impressive too.

2. Kieren Harper is a really fast one touch player. Very silky with a long penetrating kick. Played alot as a wingman half forward with potential to push up into the midfield, will take alot of development but could reap serious rewards.

3. Ben Jacobs is one of the most natural footballers Ive see come through the ranks. Doesn't have much in the way of outstanding athletic abilites but he is a no fuss smart footballer who accumulates the footy and reads the play very well. Had one champs game where he ended up with 47 touches roaming across Half back. His kicking is damn impressive and he is the sort of bloke you'd love at Half Back co-ordinating your defence. Could step up and play as an outside wingman type where you could use his kicking to cut through zones.

Billy Smedts: Reminds me alot of Pendelbury in some ways. Would love him at the roos, reads the play well, can take a contested grab and has excellent disposal. Has a pretty damn impressive side step. Very rarely gets beaten one on one.

Isaac Smith: Fast, good reader of the play. But does only 6-7 VFL games justify him being taken with a first round pick, I'm not against it but alarm bells ring for me considering I was watching him play for Redan earlier in the year.

Jayden Pitt: Fast and creative. His kicking sometimes lets him down which is a bit of a detterent for me, along with his build. Althought with the recent success of Sammy Wright I dont see why we wouldnt be able to develop him.

Reece Conca: Im really warming to the idea of picking him up with 17. Smart footballer, good user of the ball can play inside and outside. Has a bit of arrogance about him but on the other hand he has good leadership qualities.

It was reported on SEN a couple of weeks ago by Greg Miller (from memory). He also mentioned he'd been signed up to Ricky Nixon's Flying Start at the time, for whom he works. They expect him to go late first round, at the latest.

There is an article on the club website abotu some shorter players in this year's draft, such as Green, Prestia and Schneider (I think).

Prestia sounds interesting for a rookie spot or a late pick. Sounds similar to Adams.

There is an article on the club website abotu some shorter players in this year's draft, such as Green, Prestia and Schneider (I think).

Prestia sounds interesting for a rookie spot or a late pick. Sounds similar to Adams.

I thought Prestia had been rated pretty highly and was expected to go around 30-40 mark.

Not sure if Prestia will last that long EH, but yeah, he looks reasonably impressive. Elusive, strong and quick enough. Can play inside and out. Would be a great get as a rookie. Only real knock is his height, but that doesn't really bother me. Is well built so perhaps going up a level he will be found out a bit more?

Green I love and Schneider, well, not overly impressed with. Of the three I would take the other two first with Green by far my favourite due to his attacking capabilities.

I think Emma Q. rates him top10, not that he will go that high.

I am not sure where he is expected to go, but I just assumed a 175cm player won't go in the top 50. But it doesn't mean he won't be a good player.

Prestia I'd say will be gone by pick 35. But in saying that Andrew Hooper went through to the Rookie draft last year even though he was a 'certainty' to be picked up in the top 40. I'd be very surprised if Green or Prestia went past 40, they both have alot of things that make up for their size.

Prestia makes up for it with his Speed, Build and skills While Green makes up for it with his goal sense, inside work and his speed too.:thumbsu:

Dont be surprised if Prestia isnt even available at pick 17. The kid is an absolute freak, and reagrdless of his size will be taken early.

Jayden Pitt: Fast and creative. His kicking sometimes lets him down which is a bit of a detterent for me, along with his build. Althought with the recent success of Sammy Wright I dont see why we wouldnt be able to develop him.

Not sure where you're getting the kicking thing from.

Most people rate his footskills as elite and top 2 or 3 in the draft.

Jayden Pitt would be in the top 3 in our side for kicking accuracy if we recruited him. Not sure what happened in the draft camp test, however his kicking is elite.

Prestia will go in the top 25, possibly as early as low teens

Underrated on here.

Could be a Gysberts-like bolter from last year imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official 2010 Draft Watch Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back