List Mgmt. The OFFICIAL 2013 Trade/Free Agency Targets Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a rejig up forward. Opposing coaches aren't stupid, significant work will have been done on our structure, our major weaknesses will be exploited. obviously that is lack of ball retention.

I agree with you on this and to be honest, it's not what I want to happen.

However, and I've spouted a few times during the year, Collingwood are heavily into Robbie from Eddie down and we don't really have any other feasible options in luring Shaw without severely weakening ourselves in other key areas or affecting our draft. They won't accept our second rounder and I'd be livid if we handed them a first rounder if McDonald slides. I'm highly confident in any instance though that we will draft with a first round pick should we get one.

I believe if we are interested and Shaw selects us, if Collingwood asked for Robbie he will be in black and white stripes next year.

Here is the other thing to consider... should we target Shaw, knowing then that Atley and McDonald will spend more time in the middle, then again don't be surprised to see Ryan Bastinac's name pop up in trade week rags.
FWIW I don't think Shaw will end up at North but it is an interesting exercise to speculate on the value of players in not just a trade sense but a structure sense. I think for 2014 Tarrant is too important to trade out. If we try a new forward set up without him if it goes to shit then we don't have much to fall back on.

Interesting re Basti. Would he be on the table before Gibson is out of the 22?

While having these guys you mention does make us more potent further up the field, how does it relate to our forward structure without another key position sized player? We lose Tarrant and we will need to find another key target from somewhere. Daw may be that guy, but not in 2014, unless we play Dish in a sacrificial, run all day up to the wings role. Not so sure that would be good for his feet.
I personally would be happy to play 2 talls in the forward line, if we trade Tarrant.

I enjoy it when we have a lot of quick blokes down there, I think we got over exposed throughout the year for a bit of run, and having one less tall in the forward line might help.

I would have our forward line as follows if Tarrant was traded:

HF: Harvey Black Harper
FF: Thomas Petrie Garner/Adams

I feel like we are just as dangerous, especially when the ball hits the deck.

We need a rejig up forward. Opposing coaches aren't stupid, significant work will have been done on our structure, our major weaknesses will be exploited. obviously that is lack of ball retention.
Doesn't that point to the need for more skilled play though rather than a rejig of our forward set up? If you mean locking the ball in the forward 50 - 70 can't that be just as heavily influenced by the half forwards and mids pushing up into space as it can by one more smaller player in the F50?

FWIW I don't think Shaw will end up at North but it is an interesting exercise to speculate on the value of players in not just a trade sense but a structure sense. I think for 2014 Tarrant is too important to trade out. If we try a new forward set up without him if it goes to shit then we don't have much to fall back on.

Interesting re Basti. Would be be on the table before Gibson is out of the 22?

Gibson has no trade value as such and I have a feeling he has displaced Greenwood as one of Brad's favourites (so he'll be delisted next year :p). He's a hard worker and consistent in that regard so I expect him to be that best 20-25 player for a couple more years. Clubs don't traditionally target that player from other lists, of his age-group.

When you run a rule over our squad, there are the untouchables (eg. Swallow, Ziebell, Petrie, Wells, Cunnington, Thompson etc) and the worthless (poor term I know but these are your guys like Kennedy, Mabon and Anthony that are going anyway).

In between, you find your trade bait (in the context of when you are hunting and not being hunted). They are your players that have suitable levels of skill to be wanted by other clubs but ones that are also replaceable/covered through depth squad. Slap bang on top of that list you have Tarrant and Bastinac.

Doesn't that point to the need for more skilled play though rather than a rejig of our forward set up? If you mean locking the ball in the forward 50 - 70 can't that be just as heavily influenced by the half forwards and mids pushing up into space as it can by one more smaller player in the F50?
yes all of that can happen no doubt. given the midfield group has struggled with defensive positioning and has been acknowledged as a concern by the coaching staff, a rejig could provide an easing of pressure on that responsibility and at the same time give oppo coaches something to ponder.

In between, you find your trade bait (in the context of when you are hunting and not being hunted). They are your players that have suitable levels of skill to be wanted by other clubs but ones that are also replaceable/covered through depth squad. Slap bang on top of that list you have Tarrant and Bastinac.
That's pretty interesting. I would have Bastinac closer to the untouchable category. His running and ability to crumb goals adds another dimension to our midfield group I think. The only other inside/outside goal-kicking mid we have is 28 year old Daniel Wells.

If we trades Basti i'd be furious. Once he finds some more consistency he'll be a big time AFL player.

Bucks: Hey Scott can we have Basti?

North Board:
laughing-puppets-o.gif

I love how the same people who didn't want Martin now are asking for Heath Shaw.

One's a reknown rat packer with terrible onfield body language, the other is a young kid who loves to party.

Chapman, NDS, Luke & Garlett.

What else do we need?

In Shaw's defence he usually only argues with Maxwell which is entirely understandable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would not give up Bastinac or Tarrant at all.
I'd prefer to get Docherty over Shaw. Shaw is a wank and also will be too expensive.

I'm warming to the idea of chapman but only just. NDS still a great get if we get him as a FA.

How about these ins

In: Docherty, NDS and Chapman
Out: Delaney and our 2nd or 3rd pick.

im not sure about Heath being too expensive. i think collingwood will be happy to pay most of his 2 year wage as long as they get the right trade. They are happy to move him and not many clubs will want to pay his full contract.

Tarrant and Black are our future talls.

When Drew retires in two years we'll have just Black and that's not good enough. One area we have an advantage over any side in the comp are our talls not only for now but for the future. I wouldn't compromise this by trading out Tarrant to get Heath Shaw!

I just wanted to clarify, I wasn't inferring a Bastinac move to Collingwood for Shaw. I don't think thats likely and I don't think they need him.

I'm just saying I expect he will be enquired about, in particular by GWS again.

bastinac and tarrant are going nowhere - god thank ..... some of the guys on here are not running the club.

There's truly nothing like gazumping bold baseless statements with bold baseless statements, hey?

Well I can tell yah right now that God didn't thank me for not running the club.:thumbsdown:
He always has been a bit aloof and up himself.

Speaking of which, how's Onip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back