Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeo wants to go back to WA.

Polec wants to go back to SA.

Motlop wanted to go to NT
Tippett wanted to go to GC
Clark wanted to go to WA

Sometimes you have to go sideways before you can go forwards. :p

I have been reading through this forum and felt that I had to make my first post!

To become a quality side you need to identify deficiencies and target players accordingly (the Sydney Model). You cannot simply target players just because they are simply available. Our previous recruiting of Jacobs, Sierakowski, Gysberts, Hine etc. proves that recruiting to simply add depth is not a means of generating success. I think the best method is to target ‘quality’ that would definitely be in the best 22. This put’s pressure on those whose position is under threat to either improve or miss out? Of those players mentioned above, would any of these worry an opposition? Would you be concerned if any left the club? I am confident competing with everyone next year apart from Sydney and Freo. If those two clamped down on Wells and Harvey we would struggle. I think our midfield depth is good, but are lacking real ‘polish’ and ‘poise’ and think it’s one of the key reasons we lost so many close games due to our ability to make the right decisions and hit targets when the going got tough. I think Freo is in such a strong position moving forward due to the balance between inside and outside mids. They have the likes of Mundy, Barlow, Crowley, De Boer, Suban, Neale and then Fyfe, Hill and Daniel Pearce. If you clamp down on one of the mids one of the others can run riot. The next step in our progression is having enough quality that the opposition do not know who to tag and enough back up that we can cover if Wells, Harvey, Ziebell have a bad one! We cannot place any expectations on LMAC, as anything he does to contribute should be seen as a bonus. What we would hope though is that Atley or Harper can build their tanks and transition to the mid field.

I would like to see us be real aggressive and target those who would become elite within our club. We really need at least 2 quality (not depth) mids.

The preference needs to be on midfielders with ‘polish’ and possibly, a key back to cover if Grima goes down and Delaney goes.

The only players that would be off limits would be Wells, Harvey, Thompson, Petrie, Black, Ziebell, Cunnington, Goldstein, Atley, Swallow, Thomas, Black and Mullet. All others are fair game providing the player received in the swap meets a specific need or adds to the overall strength of the team.

Of the players spoken about…

Eddie Betts: Whilst he has proven he is capable in front of goals, North have not struggled to kick a winning score nor has the lack of goal kickers contributed to not challenging the elite teams. Those who say $550k (or whatever he’s asking doesn’t hurt as he comes for free), are kidding themselves. IMO I’d rather spend that sort of coin on filling a particular need. What would be the benefit of Betts? North had the 3rd best ‘points for’ and that has never been achieved in history by a team finishing worse than 9th. I also think that there is still an unhealthy reliance on Harvey and think the team would benefit most when we have enough polished midfielders to allow him to finish off his career as a crumbing forward.

Nick Dal Santo: The sort of polished midfielder that would complement our young midfield group. The only downside is that we need to make sure we are not getting ahead of ourselves. What I mean is if we are not in our premiership window right now, what is the point of recruiting someone now, who probably only has 2 years of quality footy left in him, if our window opens in 2 years and then we have another hole to fill? In saying this, I think he would still be a good addition and would be on a relatively low wage.

Dustin Martin: I have never heard so much talk about off field indiscretions without any actual off field indiscretions? Is it possible Richmond are attempting to damage his reputation in an attempt to throw off potential suitors? Who cares if he done the hand cuff salute? All I know that he has done is sleep in through one training session last year? For a guy that apparently has so many issues, he’s done well to finish top 3 in the B&F 2 years running and average 25 disposals. Didn’t Goddard do the hand cuff salute to his brother in jail? That hasn’t stopped him from earning $800k at Essendon? Didn’t Liberatore get done for possessing drugs? Wasn’t Bennell from the Gold Coast arrested earlier this year? I think Martin has the potential to be in the top 10 in the league in the next few years and I think is worth every cent of $600k, if Betts is asking for $550k. Who would opposition clubs tag first if we had the likes of Wells, Harvey, Ziebell, NDS and Martin running through the mid field? I would be prepared to give any number of players and picks (not in off limits category) to sign Martin, but I don’t know if it would take all that much as he can always threaten to enter the draft if Richmond do not except his trade request. Maybe Hansen and Bastinac?

Daisy Thomas: Same as above, worth every cent he’s asking. The addition of A graders helps the whole midfield group as it thins the load and marks it harder for the opposition to stop the midfield group when there are so many options. The more talent we have through the midfield, makes it easier for the likes of LMAC to develop with less pressure.

Chris Yarran: Explosive pace, exceptional disposal, see a lot of comparisons to Danial Wells at the same age in regards to unrealistic expectations and unfair criticism. Wells will be 29 going into next season, so Yarran would be an another ideal option as an outside mid. Would have to give up a key position player, maybe Delaney if the saints deal falls through and a pick. I would also give up Tarrant/ Hansen or Daw or any number of mids not in off-limits category.

If we recruit any other list cloggers like other years, or players that are not required I will then be sure that the club is not yet convinced that the current group is good enough to make a real tilt a flag.

Ideally, we’d target Dal Santo, as well as either Martin, Thomas or Yarran. Add to the mix the addition of LMAC, we would have high hopes for 2014.

Let me know your thoughts, and glad to join the NMFC forum.

I think NDS is pretty much locked in already so we should assume he is coming.

I'd pass on Betts

Martin I'm still undecided on, I'd love to have his talent and aggression in our team but could we stop the of field behavior? I'm not so sure. It would cost a lot too. I wouldn't swap basti for him at all.

I'd love to have Yarran over all of them but he would also cost plenty.

Pretty good first post..

My thoughts are we will and should only go for Dal Santo.

Do you honestly think we have enough dangerous mids to challenge the best teams? The type of mids that can dominate a game? Apart from Wells and Harvey, i only think Ziebell is the only other capable mid we have like that? We should not be relying on Harvey at this stage of his career and if Wells goes down or is tagged out of it we are stuffed? E.g. No Wells against Geelong and we would not have won!

Bastinac, Gibson, Cunnington (exceptional 2013), Adams... all ok but not going to take a game by the scruff of the neck and blow the opposition off the park?

It's hard to see that we would be going into the draft with more than four selections. If you tried to trade Kennedy, I couldn't see us getting a pick inside 60 for him.

Kennedy + Delaney might sweeten the deal for a club who wants to bring in multiple tall defensive options. ie a better pick as a result.

Do you honestly think we have enough dangerous mids to challenge the best teams? The type of mids that can dominate a game? Apart from Wells and Harvey, i only think Ziebell is the only other capable mid we have like that? We should not be relying on Harvey at this stage of his career and if Wells goes down or is tagged out of it we are stuffed? E.g. No Wells against Geelong and we would not have won!

Bastinac, Gibson, Cunnington (exceptional 2013), Adams... all ok but not going to take a game by the scruff of the neck and blow the opposition off the park?

We beat or went under a kick against everyone in the 8 bar Freo and Swans so I don't think our personnel is that off.

I think NDS is pretty much locked in already so we should assume he is coming.

I'd pass on Betts

Martin I'm still undecided on, I'd love to have his talent and aggression in our team but could we stop the of field behavior? I'm not so sure. It would cost a lot too. I wouldn't swap basti for him at all.

I'd love to have Yarran over all of them but he would also cost plenty.

Pretty good first post..

Exactly my point... What is this so called off field behaviour that always gets mentioned with Martin? What is the difference with Dane Swan's off field antics, yet he is still classed as elite? I would love to know where all this propoganda about Martin being a loose cannon started? It would make alot of sense and save Richmond alot of Money if they started these stories? Also, if he is so 'wild' how did the club vote him in the top 3 B&F last year and probabaly this year? Why have Richmond offered $500k over 3 years if he is destructive to team culture? Surely if someone is that bad, you do not offer a contract, and simply off load him without all the stories being leaked?

The Martin off field stuff has been going on since he was drafted. He was made to live with the club president ffs.

We beat or went under a kick against everyone in the 8 bar Freo and Swans so I don't think our personnel is that off.

Fair point, but each year every team improves. If you are negligent in your duties regarding improving the team you are quite simply left behind.

The fact is, we were close, but finished 10th! I can only see Sydney and Freo improving so if we rest on our laurels we will end up back with the next group of teams trying to climb the ladder!

Lets not forget, although we where more competitive this year, we went backwards on the ladder!

The Martin off field stuff has been going on since he was drafted. He was made to live with the club president ffs.

I'll ask again: Why have Richmond offered $500k over 3 years if he is destructive to team culture? Surely if someone is that bad, you do not offer a contract, and simply off load him without all the negative press lowering his trade currency?

A basket case bereft of any talent and an expansion team gagging for marquee stars have passed on him. Methinks that says it all really.

I know times change but can't help but think - what would Denis do?

Pikey won a B&F got rejected by the merging Lions and passed by everyone a couple of times before we took a chance.

I'll ask again: Why have Richmond offered $500k over 3 years if he is destructive to team culture? Surely if someone is that bad, you do not offer a contract, and simply off load him without all the negative press lowering his trade currency?
Because he has a bucket load of talent and they have developed a method of mentoring him.

If he is just another lad, why have GWS passed up on him when they can get him for nothing via the PSD, St. Kilda walked away (and told their players not to travel overseas with him) when they need all the top line young talent they can get?

He is damaged goods. But he is Richmond's damaged goods and they feel they know how to deal with him. No one doubts his potential, but many obviously doubt that he will reach it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pikey won a B&F got rejected by the merging Lions and passed by everyone a couple of times before we took a chance.
It's a bit different though.

Our boys all played hard on and off the field, and did so on booze and in some cases weed. That doesn't fly anymore and not just for 'cultural' reasons. If the smoke signals are to be believed then Dusty is a throwback but operating in the current environment of 18-30 year olds, where booze and weed are just a number of options, and Dusty is a bloke who likes options apparently. How long do you let that fly in the current environment? Sooner or later it's gonna bit the club on the arse.

Well he did sack him in the end!!

I get the impression that Martin's issues run deeper than Pike's. Pike was a 5 star piss head. As were most of the team in the '90's. Pikey just took it too far in the end.

If Scott did kick the tyres on Dusty and decided to pick him up, then great, I'd back his judgement in. There is no question on his football ability.

Azza had to drag Martin out of a nightclub as he was ..... off his dial on ice - now we all know azza has had his own issues - does that put it in perspective....

Because he has a bucket load of talent and they have developed a method of mentoring him.

If he is just another lad, why have GWS passed up on him when they can get him for nothing via the PSD, St. Kilda walked away (and told their players not to travel overseas with him) when they need all the top line young talent they can get?

He is damaged goods. But he is Richmond's damaged goods and they feel they know how to deal with him. No one doubts his potential, but many obviously doubt that he will reach it.

Interesting that you think GWS have passed on him...

I hear that the GWS deal is already done! I would hate to think we didnt atleast put the feelers out rather than let someone with his ability slip through?

I must be the odd one who thinks all the crap about him sounds worse than it is? I know he looks like a d*ckhead, but think he oozes talent! What has he done that is worse than Liberatores drug possesion, Bennel's arrest, Swan's binge drinking or Franklin's alleged one strike etc?

I think spud has maybe had it but Scotty still has alot more to prove to us as supporters if he can be consistent. When scotty plays good he usually saves our butts in the process at times.
Scott McMahons fitness was nothing short of a disgrace this year - he is an ALF professional footballer and he claearly didnt look like one.
You wanna win premierships then dont accept Mediocrity.

Azza had to drag Martin out of a nightclub as he was ..... off his dial on ice - now we all know azza has had his own issues - does that put it in perspective....

Thats what i must have been missing then...

Case closed!

Can we move onto Daisy Thomas, Chris Yarran then?

Interesting that you think GWS have passed on him...

I hear that the GWS deal is already done! I would hate to think we didnt atleast put the feelers out rather than let someone with his ability slip through?

I must be the odd one who thinks all the crap about him sounds worse than it is? I know he looks like a d*ckhead, but think he oozes talent! What has he done that is worse than Liberatores drug possesion, Bennel's arrest, Swan's binge drinking or Franklin's alleged one strike etc?
GWS officially walked away this afternoon. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-20/does-dusty-fit-giants-jigsaw

It's what we don't officially know about Dusty that is the issue.

Scott McMahons fitness was nothing short of a disgrace this year - he is an ALF professional footballer and he claearly didnt look like one.

Alf-Movie-is-coming.jpg

That was the problem. He very much looked like one.

GWS officially walked away this afternoon. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-20/does-dusty-fit-giants-jigsaw

It's what we don't officially know about Dusty that is the issue.

OK. As a new forum member, i'll respect your judgement!

Interesting though that no one wanted anything to do with Jack Darling and we know he is quality, and Dayle Garlett was overlooked by everyone and now will go top 10 potentially?

West Coast had the nuts to back themselves in with Darling and paid way unders!

If we had the nuts we could have snared Garlett last year with any pick, or even rookie listed him?

Sometimes all clubs are afraid of the potential PR disastor rather then see the opportunity for what it is and back yourself, leaders and club as a whole in?

Interesting though that no one wanted anything to do with Jack Darling and we know he is quality, and Dayle Garlett was overlooked by everyone and now will go top 10 potentially?

If we had the nuts we could have snared Garlett last year with any pick, or even rookie listed him?

Sometimes all clubs are afraid of the potential PR disastor rather then see the opportunity for what it is and back yourself, leaders and club as a whole in?
Feel free not to defer to my judgement at all mate. That's what this place is for.

With Darling, he fingerbanged a chick and got busted. Not too serious at all. WCE got a little lucky there.

Garlett got on the gear and advertised the fact. He apparently has since changed his ways after missing out on being drafted and getting a girlfriend. Perhaps he has seen the errors of his ways, but perhaps not. We'll see.

Anyway, my take on the culture thing is that if the players look to be making changes and taking their careers seriously then they are worth a crack. Dusty just keeps on keeping on.

Dustin Martin makes Jack Darling look like Andrew Swallow (a saint)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back