The Pies/Bombers ANZAC day game is just a H&A game between two teams I Hate

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, depending on what you want out of it.

If you're looking for an MCG game to attract 80k or more, year on year it won't happen.

If you want to fill Etihad consistently on a once off basis, sure they might be able to make it work - will take some effort though.

Yeah it should work at Ethiad definitely considering the easter appeal is held there too.

Half time - Live cross to the appeal, a couple of injured players (one from each team) do a mini interview and answer a few phones.

Can even get players from the melbourne based easter saturday clash to do a little interview also to promote the game the following day.

It may even be worth having something like "bring an article of clothing or a gold coin to donate to the appeal and receive a special good friday kangaroos/bulldogs match t-shirt.

How curious..... geez, I wonder why Melbourne's crowds tend to be larger in Queens Birthday?
We should seriously get a committee together to see if we can't identify the reason behind the suspiciously larger crowd when they play on this day......

Wouldn't be far off Colingwood's MCG average I suspect.

Cancel the committee....... I think we have one way out of left field that has stumbled on something........

People want what they can't have, it's human nature to be jealous.
Shame that more thought gets put into which teams should play on the day rather than acknowledging the true purpose of the day.

Pull your head in flogs.

Nothing you have posted proves that in anyway. I don't go to the dawn service and I do not observe a minutes silence on the 25 April. I am still aware of Anzac Day and what it symbolises.
If I alone have more awareness then it most certainly does, let alone my wife, my 2 kids and my brother. I'll admit my comment about some of the 90 k at the ground not otherwise observing a minutes silence is conjecture - based on pretty goods odds nonetheless and I can't prove to you that there are people who aren't lying when they say they now go to the dawn service as part of their day of attending the game and recognising the day for what it is but I most certainly know about the increased araweness in my immediate family.

A minor gripe I have about the Anzac day game is the Anzac day medal.

The medal is given to the player 'that best exemplifies the Anzac spirit' but can only be won by a Collingwood or Essendon player :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how comfortable I am with a sporting achievement linked to world war achievement in the first place but the fact that the players and media talk about the importance of this medal is belittling to all the other teams and players who never have a chance to even compete for it.

It's actually a worthless medal and no more significant that getting 2 or 3 votes in the other 200 odd games a year. (and yes, any other medal that can only be won by 2 certain teams is in the same category)

A minor gripe I have about the Anzac day game is the Anzac day medal.

The medal is given to the player 'that best exemplifies the Anzac spirit' but can only be won by a Collingwood or Essendon player :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how comfortable I am with a sporting achievement linked to world war achievement in the first place but the fact that the players and media talk about the importance of this medal is belittling to all the other teams and players who never have a chance to even compete for it.

It's actually a worthless medal and no more significant that getting 2 or 3 votes in the other 200 odd games a year. (and yes, any other medal that can only be won by 2 certain teams is in the same category)
I'm happy for it to be renamed in honour of 2 soldiers, one from each club who lost their life in service.

The Anzac Day clash is the second biggest game after the Grand Final, it is the envy of all other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's actually no reason why all AFL clubs couldn't do this over the Anzac day weekend either. This idea I don't mind at all.
Any game where you observe a minutes silence. But then you are left with the potential for multiple medals unless the Anzac round is a set round every year. Not sure the AFL would want a set round of games every year.

Collingwood and Essendon should always have Anzac Day for the following reasons-

Sheedy wanted Essendon to play on Anzac Day and wanted to play against the biggest club in the afl (Collingwood).

Both Collingwood and Essendon are the biggest clubs in the competition. If both Collingwood and Essendon stop averaging 85,000 to the game then give it to either Carlton, Richmond, Hawthorn or geelong.

Will never happen as Collingwood an Essendon will always have Anzac Day. The two biggest clubs in the afl who play in the biggest home and away match if the season. Anyway the gate receipts go to all other clubs so you should all be happy.

Go Pies!!

If I alone have more awareness then it most certainly does, let alone my wife, my 2 kids and my brother. I'll admit my comment about some of the 90 k at the ground not otherwise observing a minutes silence is conjecture - based on pretty goods odds nonetheless and I can't prove to you that there are people who aren't lying when they say they now go to the dawn service as part of their day of attending the game and recognising the day for what it is but I most certainly know about the increased araweness in my immediate family.
Fair enough, I can't dispute your personal experience. But it's interesting you focus on the ritual aspects of the day (minutes silence, dawn service) as examples. The fact 90,000 people were deliberately quiet for a minute when they otherwise might not have been means nothing in isolation...to be honest I think it's further proof of the abstraction of the day. We go through the rituals, don't engage with the substance.

Funny. I feel the same way about people who unquestioningly subscribe to nostalgic historical narratives that generally gloss over the horrors of warfare.

Like I said, I have no problem with the game. I do, however, have a problem with the medal. I feel that receiving a special award for 'showing the qualities of the ANZAC Spirit – skill, courage, self-sacrifice, teamwork and fair play' cheapens the historical event.

What about the underage kid who pissed his pants before having his head blown off? Is he not an ANZAC because he didn't show courage and skill?

In my opinion the medal is too much about glorifying, and not enough about remembering. Collingwood and Essendon have made the day into an event, and that event does a great deal of good.

You'll never convince me otherwise about some shitty medal that means **** all.

(quote taken from; http://www.anzacappeal.com.au/history-and-events/anzac-day-afl-match/)

The kid may not have shown courage or skill, but he showed "self-sacrifice"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back