The Pies/Bombers ANZAC day game is just a H&A game between two teams I Hate

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
El oh el.
Don't see how that's funny, mate. I went to the first Essendon-Collingwood Anzac Day game in 95 when I was 7 years old and even then knew it was something special. 1996 made me even more interested in why this game/day was such a big deal to people, so I asked teachers about it regularly through primary school.

Now I've been to the dawn service 15 years running. Football was a gateway for me to learn about a more important part of the country's history, and I assume it's much the same for many kids today.

Non Pies v Bombers Anzac crowds:

1994 - Rich vs. StK - 37870 (Waverley Park)
1993 - Melb vs. Adel - 17011 (MCG)
1992 - Coll vs. Haw - 72765 (Waverley Park)
1991 - Coll vs. Melb - 55735 (Waverley Park)
1990 - Rich vs. Fitz - 23078 (MCG)

1997 (Friday) Fremantle v St Kilda, Subi, 23,504
1998 (Saturday) Hawthorn v Brisbane, Waverley, 22,366
1998 (Saturday) Fremantle v North, WACA, 26,335
1999 (Sunday) Fremantle v Brisbane, Subi, 24,044
1999 (Sunday) Adelaide v Sydney, AMII, 42,641
2000 (Tuesday) Fremantle v Brisbane, Subi, 19,800
2003 (Friday) Sydney v Melbourne, SCG, 24,286
2004 (Sunday) Fremantle v Geelong, Subi, 35,021
2004 (Sunday) Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs, AAMI, 26,839
2009 Kangaroos vs Tigers 29,000 at Etihad
2009 Freo vs Sydney 30,000 at Subi
2009 Hawks vs West, 18,000 in Tassie.
2013 Sydney vs St.kilda, Wellington NZ, 22,546
Also most of these games were not finals like pressure or atmosphere.

Don't see how that's funny, mate. I went to the first Essendon-Collingwood Anzac Day game in 95 when I was 7 years old and even then knew it was something special. 1996 made me even more interested in why this game/day was such a big deal to people, so I asked teachers about it regularly through primary school.

Now I've been to the dawn service 15 years running. Football was a gateway for me to learn about a more important part of the country's history, and I assume it's much the same for many kids today.
Wow, cool story. I was also 7 years old in 1995 but amazingly, I learnt about Anzac Day without going to the footy. Maybe it was something to do with having the day off or the saturation media coverage of the event or the fact in 1995 the government spent millions of dollars on the Australia Remembers campaign with the specific aim of teaching primary school children like you and me?

For the record I have no problem with footy on Anzac Day or it being an exclusive Collingwood/Essendon fixture. But let's not kid ourselves that it has any value beyond being a game of footy.

Wow, cool story. I was also 7 years old in 1995 but amazingly, I learnt about Anzac Day without going to the footy. Maybe it was something to do with having the day off or the saturation media coverage of the event or the fact in 1995 the government spent millions of dollars on the Australia Remembers campaign with the specific aim of teaching primary school children like you and me?

For the record I have no problem with footy on Anzac Day or it being an exclusive Collingwood/Essendon fixture. But let's not kid ourselves that it has any value beyond being a game of footy.
As for what's taught in schools, I think you'll find it'll vary dramatically how much emphasis is out on Anzac Day/Australian history depending on the school and demographic, and I think the media coverage and the buzz around the footy is a good alternative entry into learning for those that don't get it from their school.

For the record, I believe I first recall learning about Anzac Day at school in 97, so the footy was just a good head start for me. Either way, I still learned about it first through the AFL.

Creates massive awareness for the diggers and all they did for this great country

Pins are sold diggers receiving standing ovations

Really can not understand the hate
Are you serious?

You don't need a football match to create "awareness" for the Australian and New Zealand soldiers who fought and died in one of the biggest conflicts of the 20th century.

You can buy a pin and thank a Digger at any shopping center in the country for at least a week prior to April 25th.

If you seriously believe that Essendon and Collingwood are the only reason we commemorate ANZAC Day it's long past time to cut back on the Koolaid.

I agree. It is only a H&A game......

...between two rivals with a massive supporter base that play on a public holiday and somehow manage to always perform at a higher standard for the occasion.

Why would anyone make a big deal out of it? Beats me!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should do what the SANFL has done for decades. Anzac Day is the replay of the Grand Final and the first time for the losing team to seek revenge. But that would go against the AFL's wish to respect the ability to make shitloads of money the ANZAC tradition.

Are you serious?

You don't need a football match to create "awareness" for the Australian and New Zealand soldiers who fought and died in one of the biggest conflicts of the 20th century.

You can buy a pin and thank a Digger at any shopping center in the country for at least a week prior to April 25th.

If you seriously believe that Essendon and Collingwood are the only reason we commemorate ANZAC Day it's long past time to cut back on the Koolaid.
Typical reaction to a point not made in the post you quoted. The game does increase the awareness among football fans, particularly younger ones. No one has ever said it is anywhere near the only reason or that it is even needed to create awareness, only that it adds to the mix. That is backed up by the RSL. Forget that actual representative body who know better than anyone who posts on here, just look at the annual debate on here. People even talking about the fact the game is not worthy is a positive reinforcement of the actually occassion. No one actually thinks "going to war" on a football field is anything like actually going to war, but thanks to all the muppets on here who think some people think it is and for reminding us it isn't.

By the way some posters carry on you would think the game did some sort of harm to something.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, or should I say in the trenches, I wish I could still hate Carlton like I did when I was a kid. My kids now see the Carlton thing like I saw my grandfather's Melbourne thing. The whole MM/DT factor should add some spice this year but really it isn't sustainable. At least ANZAC Day is a big game between 2 big clubs. Maybe we should give Queens Birthday to Calrton. Seems pretty fitting to have a day of celebration of yesterday's institution held over for yesterday's clubs.

Should do what the SANFL has done for decades. Anzac Day is the replay of the Grand Final and the first time for the losing team to seek revenge. But that would go against the AFL's wish to respect the ability to make shitloads of money the ANZAC tradition.

Of which a large chunk goes to the RSL

I think Good Friday football would have to exist first. If North does get it next year, I'd be very happy to see it rotated if ANZAC day and such were rotated as well.

No thanks. Keep Good Friday, we'll keep Anzac Day.

Essendon should have lost the right to play this game after systematically bringing the game into disrepute.

Isn't it great what a massive supporter base and the accompanying dollars do for maintaining your place in the world?

There are three games on Anzac day. Don't see anyone having a problem with St Kilda, Brisbane, Fremantle and North Melbourne also playing on Anzac Day.

They're WHAT?

They should share those games!! What about us??

A common theme I'm seeing is Essendon/Collingwood supporters saying that they should get the game because they pull a big crowd but then saying other teams don't deserve games like this (Good Friday being the main one) because they don't pull a big enough crowd.

Right... o_O

Way to twist the message.

Collingwood and Essendon made the game what it is. Part of that is the fact that they CAN draw crowds of the size. North/Dogs/Saints/Dees cannot.

I personally couldn't care less if you gave Good Friday to any of the above mentioned clubs; go right on ahead - doesn't stress me in the slightest. Be interesting to see both:

a) How long it lasts when it can't draw a monster crowd
-or-
b) How long we persist on calling it a blockbuster, when it is anything but.

I only read first half of first shit.....have you asked how the servicemen feel? Have you heard how much they love it? Have you gone? Have you taken your kids and explained why you are crying, why there is silence, and fantastic ceremony?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it'd be the biggest Observance in the country wouldn't it?

averages 90K??

In the 19yrs of the game there have only been 5 crowds above 90k, yes 5. And of course it rates well, it's the only game on usually.

The average attendance since the MCGs capacity was restored is ~89,600 - 90k is an acceptable answer.

I think it's been a valuable exercise in bringing some focus on Anzac Day.

But it's also sad that so many only paid attention to the sacrifices because of the game. You younguns' really need to do some research of your own to find out what happened in these terrible conflicts. Kids at age 16 and younger were volunteering underage only to get slaughtered. This history was drummed into us at school, it's impossible to forget what we were taught.

The game is just that, a game, the day itself dwarfs the game many times over in terms of meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back