The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As some others have said, I think Mayes and Cutler have really grown into their roles at half back as the year has gone on and they will be quality long term players for us and could form quite the dynamic duo in that role. They are both quality ball users and their precise kicking will be very handy coming out of the backline.

In just seven days all this on-field rubbish will be behind us and we can finally concentrate on what really matters in football: drafts and trading!
Mods favourite time of year! :(

In just seven days all this on-field rubbish will be behind us and we can finally concentrate on what really matters in football: drafts and trading!
What rubbish. It's a sport, and what really matters is winning.

Winning mini footballs.
Winning caps, flags & guernseys.
Winning corporate box seats and platters of party pies.
Winning!!

latest

Harris Andrews past month has been elite, ranked 28th best player in the afl by afl player ratings over the past 4 weeks and the 12th best key defender overall, really impressive for a teenager.
My goodness. Has he developed/improved under the current coaching? Must be a fluke.

Got to have something in here on such a sad day for the club....again

Loved Robbo's no-look spoil - degree of difficultly off the charts

Almost loved as much how DERRRRRRwayne was about to go whole hog at "its got to be a free kick blah blah blah" when he got shouted over the top of by both Frawley and Dunstal - "what a brilliant spoil". (duck-liver-pate with goose egg all over his face) :cool:

And its in the rounds Top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that we are not quite, but almost, at our lowest point I think now perversely counts as a positive.

There is a certain inevitability in us going lower as the cleanup of this train wreck of a club begins. The trading period will, I suspect, be brutal. And it probably needs to be. We will likely lose experience and talent along with some bad stuff as well. We will have to just swallow that bitter pill, accept this is what we are, draft in the best we can, find a coach and probably a few assistants and then...

We will start the preseason at the absolute rock bottom - a club as hopeless as there has ever been. We will be the standing joke of the AFL but...strangely, we need to get there. We need to get to the point where anything is better...where we simple can't be worse than we are.

Then we get to start afresh...we get to build a new era. If it takes three years, five years, it doesn't matter. We just need to rid the club of all the negativity and begin the journey without expectations of anything other than not being what we are now.

We are a joke. But...that era is coming to an end. Soon. Just a little lower to go yet.

The fact that we are not quite, but almost, at our lowest point I think now perversely counts as a positive.

There is a certain inevitability in us going lower as the cleanup of this train wreck of a club begins. The trading period will, I suspect, be brutal. And it probably needs to be. We will likely lose experience and talent along with some bad stuff as well. We will have to just swallow that bitter pill, accept this is what we are, draft in the best we can, find a coach and probably a few assistants and then...

We will start the preseason at the absolute rock bottom - a club as hopeless as there has ever been. We will be the standing joke of the AFL but...strangely, we need to get there. We need to get to the point where anything is better...where we simple can't be worse than we are.

Then we get to start afresh...we get to build a new era. If it takes three years, five years, it doesn't matter. We just need to rid the club of all the negativity and begin the journey without expectations of anything other than not being what we are now.

We are a joke. But...that era is coming to an end. Soon. Just a little lower to go yet.
I know this is the positive thread but I don't know if I can handle another rebuild. If we're able to get trades that benefit all parties then ok but knowing our position, will most likely have to pay overs just to break even. The struggles of being a lion fan :(

Harris Andrews - blossoming
Zorks - pocket rocket who busts a gut
Stef - heart of a Lion
Robbo - tough nut and only one with any testicular fortitude
Rocky - Class act almost a lone hand
Keays - love his tenacity
Hipwood - a keeper
Mayes - excellent season under circumstances
Schache - future star

Everyone else needs a good hard look at themselves and lift!!!!!!

Well written post, and I do agree with what you say, but didn't you say yourself in the first post in this thread "It can't get much worse" doesn't count as a positive. "Real positives only"?

I reckon if those "It can't get much worse" posts were taken out this thread would be 15 pages.

2017 positives on field for the future- Reuben William, Eric Hipwood, Josh Schache, Ben Keays, Rhys Matheison, Harris Andrews, Archie Smith, Tom Cutler, Sam Mayes, Mitch Robinson, Dayne Zorko.

i am very confident we have the beginnings of a playing group that can be very competitive in 3-5 years.

for all the shit we have been through the last few years if we get our decisions right in the next few months re coaching & football department restructure/trade/draft and an official announcement of the new administration and training base i still have hope for the future of our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back