The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to be a pre-cursor article before a re-signing announcement.
I really hope so. His style of play really fits the Lions game plan at the moment, almost as if we've based it on him rather than the other way around.

It's especially heartening that he and his partner prefer Brisbane to Melbourne - that puts us way out in front.

I really hope so. His style of play really fits the Lions game plan at the moment, almost as if we've based it on him rather than the other way around.

It's especially heartening that he and his partner prefer Brisbane to Melbourne - that puts us way out in front.
I think the best coaches base their game plan around the strengths of their players not try to mould a game plan in spite of the players on your list.

Yes it is nuanced, room for elements of both eg. defensive running needs to be a non negotiable.
I like to think of game plans like a great big Venn diagram.

1. You have your game plans which stack up under finals pressure and can win you a premiership. Think the way we played in the early 2000s vs the way Port played.

2. You also have your game plans which actually suit the players you have. Imagine West Coast in 2018 trying to play the same way Richmond did in 2017. They would have been absolutely smashed for pace all over the ground.

3. Then you also have your game plans which are fun to play and entertaining to watch. Think Geelong under Mark Thompson vs any Ross Lyon team.

Ideally you want to go with a game plan (or game planS) which are all of the above. I think we have always done #2 and #3 reasonably well, but this is the first year I think we are doing #1 super well also (so far). I'd like to think this can continue without coming at the expense of #3.

How bloody good has our recruitment team been performing in the trade/FA space the last few years.. it is astounding when you look at it.. currently on our list >

Lachie Neale, Joe Daniher, Jarryd Lyons, Josh Dunkley, Lincoln McCarthy, Conor McKenna, Charlie Cameron have all been fantastic recruits.

Callum Ah Chee, Marcus Adams, Darcy Fort have been good to serviceable.

Jury still out on Jack Gunston, Darragh Joyce.

Only bust- Nakia Cockatoo.

How bloody good has our recruitment team been performing in the trade/FA space the last few years.. it is astounding when you look at it.. currently on our list >

Lachie Neale, Joe Daniher, Jarryd Lyons, Josh Dunkley, Lincoln McCarthy, Conor McKenna, Charlie Cameron have all been fantastic recruits.

Cocky is coming baby! You just wait! ;)

Seriously though, he is a valuable depth player if nothing else. Can't call him a bust for the price we paid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That list is outrages.
Some genuine game changers /match winners/ entertainers in that list.

Cocky is coming baby! You just wait! ;)

Seriously though, he is a valuable depth player if nothing else. Can't call him a bust for the price we paid.

CEY was a bust though. Thank goodness he decided to retire himself rather than get the vaccine and devote himself to the totally legit money making exercise that was NFTs!

Would say Marcus Adams has to be in the fantastic section. He was our best KPD last year and even with Andrews at least the year before. No to mention still extraordinary the other two years. Amazing four years he gave us since he came over from the Dogs for a late second. I really hope he’s doing well right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would say Marcus Adams has to be in the fantastic section. He was our best KPD last year and even with Andrews at least the year before. No to mention still extraordinary the other two years. Amazing four years he gave us since he came over from the Dogs for a late second. I really hope he’s doing well right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He missed a lot of footy through injury but when he did play, I agree he was great and was a first choice backman and is probably the reason why Payne hasn’t played more footy.

Bloody foreigners.
Taking jobs of our home grown.
Send them back where they come from.

On F1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He missed a lot of footy through injury but when he did play, I agree he was great and was a first choice backman and is probably the reason why Payne hasn’t played more footy.
Marcus certainly did miss a bit of footy the first couple of seasons. At times in 2020 and I think 2021, Lester was preferred over Payne, which I found a bit disappointing as I believed at the time Payne was versatile enough to learn his craft and develop whilst matched up against the oppositions 3rd or 2nd tall forward.

When Adams was playing reasonably well and consistent last year, I (and a few others) believed Payne should have been playing instead of Dizzy who was down on form (possibly due to injury). Reality was that Jack only ever played if one of the three were injured, and never got more than a few consecutive games. I think we missed a chance here to develop a promising young local, who, just my opinion, should have 50 to 55 games under his belt by now and would be more experienced.

I wish Marcus was/is not suffering from concussion, and like all, wish him all the best, but the prospect of losing Payne (and I think we would have) if Marcus and Dizzy were fit this year would have been disappointing.

Marcus certainly did miss a bit of footy the first couple of seasons. At times in 2020 and I think 2021, Lester was preferred over Payne, which I found a bit disappointing as I believed at the time Payne was versatile enough to learn his craft and develop whilst matched up against the oppositions 3rd or 2nd tall forward.

When Adams was playing reasonably well and consistent last year, I (and a few others) believed Payne should have been playing instead of Dizzy who was down on form (possibly due to injury). Reality was that Jack only ever played if one of the three were injured, and never got more than a few consecutive games. I think we missed a chance here to develop a promising young local, who, just my opinion, should have 50 to 55 games under his belt by now and would be more experienced.

I wish Marcus was/is not suffering from concussion, and like all, wish him all the best, but the prospect of losing Payne (and I think we would have) if Marcus and Dizzy were fit this year would have been disappointing.

Marcus missed the entire 2020 season I think. Might have played round 1 before the game shut down? In 2021 I think he took a while to come back as well. Froggy's best season for us was probably 2020 funnily enough and he played really well on Jack Riewoldt in the qualifying final win. Potentially a reasonable second guess as to whether Payne should have played more over the last few years but what's done is done.

I've been most impressed by Payne's improved ball use and defensive positioning this year. Yes, still some errors but they seem down and he's by and large been safe as houses. He was on a hiding to nothing at times last year when he played because of the defence up the field, such as in the essendon game at the gabba.

I also think his improvement can be seen in the fact that Harris isn't acting like a headless chook to try and leave his man and cover for him all the time, as he did a few times previously. There seems to be a genuine understanding and trust developing between them which is great to see. Anyway, that's my mea culpa on previous Payne scepticism.

Last edited:
Marcus missed the entire 2020 season I think. Might have played round 1 before the game shut down? In 2021 I think he took a while to come back as well. Froggy's best season for us was probably 2020 funnily enough and he played really well on Jack Riewoldt in the qualifying final win. Potentially a reasonable second guess as to whether Payne should have played more over the last few years but what's done is done.

I've been most impressed by Payne's improved ball use and defensive positioning this year. Yes, still some errors but they seem down and he's by and large been safe as houses. He was on a hiding to nothing at times last year when he played because of the defence up the field, such as in the essendon game at the gabba last year.

I also think his improvement can be seen in the fact that Harris isn't acting like a headless chook to try and leave his man and cover him all the time, as he did a few times previously. There seems to be a genuine understanding and trust developing between them which is great to see. Anyway, that's my mea culpa on previous Payne scepticism.
There is no doubt, like most players some of Paynes games are going to be better than others, but with more experience I think he will get better and cant wait to see him have a run out of defence and some small forward try and tackle him. For some reason (much too complex for my old brain) some players seem to match up better on different players, for example Marcus was very good against Hawkins but seemed to have troubles with Riewoldt.

Lincoln McCarthy now has 100 games for the Lions (father son done and dusted:D) in 4 and a half seasons, he has only missed a handful of games for us after 29 games in 5 injury riddled seasons with the Cats.

Our medical and rehab team really are first class, their record of getting previously long term injured players up is outstanding... Linc and Joe 2 notable ones that played last night.

Lincoln McCarthy now has 100 games for the Lions (father son done and dusted:D) in 4 and a half seasons, he has only missed a handful of games for us after 29 games in 5 injury riddled seasons with the Cats.

Our medical and rehab team really are first class, their record of getting previously long term injured players up is outstanding... Linc and Joe 2 notable ones that played last night.

Wasn't it 7 seasons at Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back