UK The Queen

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is actively moderated, let's behave like adults, shall we?

For conversation on an Australian Republic:

Last edited:
I was clarifying (for myself and maybe others) a point by reference to Wikipedia that I wasn't aware of - and that is the clear distinction between the post 1920 geopolitical separation of two parts of Ireland into the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland and the history of the way the Government of the Republic of Ireland (officially known as Ireland) refers to itself to distinguish between the territory of the state and the island as a whole.

AS i said, the things you learn in the backwaters of BF.

Ireland is indeed an independent country from that of the United Kingdom. Turns out a citizen of said country did know what it was actually called. And it also appears that I do have...what was it again?..."at least a cursory understanding of the recent history of Ireland including the partition of Ireland..."

I'm a citizen of the Republic of Ireland. My very recent ancestors are Irish. I'm very well aware of the 'facts'.

Do tell.

I'm well aware of it. I'm of very recent Irish descent. I teach the British empire at a senior History level.
Basically, the Irish joke has been used for centuries to stereotype the Irish as stupid. It made the British feel better about the takeover of Irish lands.
I can't find a thesis on it, but that's the gist of it.

Ireland is indeed an independent country from that of the United Kingdom.

Did I say it wasn't?
Turns out a citizen of said country did know what it was actually called.

I said it was interesting and admitted I found out some interesting stuff about how the country calls itself I didn't know before.

Probably best to turn the self importance dial down a couple of notches fella.

This is a thread on the Queen not one of your high school classes.

Last edited:

Ireland is indeed an independent country from that of the United Kingdom. Turns out a citizen of said country did know what it was actually called. And it also appears that I do have...what was it again?..."at least a cursory understanding of the recent history of Ireland including the partition of Ireland..."
The whole point of the IRA and Sein Feinn is to take back Northern Ireland off the British .

You’re not educated mate. That much is clear. Being 51 you should be embarrassed.
You're BruceFromBalnarring , a troll not to be taken seriously.
What point of mine are you contesting and why do want a non-Australian to be our head of state?
You're unAustralian mate.

You're BruceFromBalnarring , a troll not to be taken seriously.
What point of mine are you contesting?
All of them. You’re entire foundation is flawed. What do you actually believe in? National sovereignty? Imperialism?

Let’s just take Australia. Do you, at the very least, accept that if it wasn’t Britain it would have been another power that would have colonised?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I say it wasn't?

Yep.

When I said

Isn't Ireland an independent country?

You replied with..

"No

Ireland is an island off the coast of Wales and Scotland."
Probably best to turn the self importance dial down a couple of notches fella.

It wasn't me who was condescending when you stated to me..

"I would have thought a citizen of the Republic of Ireland would know that.

And at least a cursory understanding of the recent history of Ireland including the partition of Ireland into 2 separate parts by the British Government in 1920 that made it so."

This is a thread on the Queen not one of your high school classes.

I didn't bring up Ireland and the royal family.

Do you know the history of the 'Irish joke,'? That was started by the British to dehumanise Irish people, to make them out to be stupid and dumb . And that persists to this day.

Victorian-era magazine Punch used to love making fun of the Irish

The Irish were also portrayed as 'simian negroids' by both the English and the Americans

Last edited:
No it's not.

The system of constitutional monarchy is in my view an extremely stable and viable form of government.
Gough Whitlam disagrees, David Hurley gave away power in secrecy.
You can keep a simular structure with an Australian as head of state. You don't need to involve another country.

FFS. Move on. You're boring the s**t out of all of us with your self important grand standing and
Take your own advice. You're the one that started the borefest with your incorrect definition of Ireland, after someone else brought it up. And you were wrong anyway. As a citizen of Ireland, I merely pointed it out.

claims of being the Australia's best school teacher.

You should work on improving your comprehension. Stating I teach a particular subject and stating what is taught as part of that subject is not claiming I'm "Australia's best school teacher." Please learn to distinguish between what I actually said and what you claim I said, or implied.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

UK The Queen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back